The Dead End Kids

Discussion in 'DVD' started by BryanV, Mar 30, 2004.

1. BryanV

BryanV Stunt Coordinator

I picked up They Made Me a Criminal at the drugstore, of coarse the disc is from a third rate crap company that desecrates these works of art by putting out a vastly inferior product (there otta be a law).

I was wondering if there is any interest in these films. Would'nt they make a nice boxed set?

2. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

It seems most of the East Side Kids/Dead End Kids films are public domain, so they are being put out by budget companies like Alpha. All the films of them being known as The Bowery Boys (1946-1958) are owned by Warner Bros who only released six of the titles to VHS. I would love DVD box sets from Warner.

3. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

The Warner Chat mentioned the possibility of Bowery Boys sets in the future. This would make me a very very happy man if they released all 48 films in 3-4 sets.

4. BryanV

BryanV Stunt Coordinator

Would the Bowery Boys sets include Dead End? It's got Mcrae and Boggey in it for goodness sake.

When movies are pub. domain like that does it scare off the legit studios from doing there own run?

5. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

No. There were a little over a dozen Dead End Films. A little over 20 East Side Kids Films and 48 Bowery Boys films. Each series after the Dead End Kids dropped some drama and added more comedy with the Bowery Boys ending up as 90% slapstick comedies.
    As mentioned before Warner owns the 48 Bowery Boys films. Most(But not all) of the Dead End and East Side Kids films are in Public Domain.

6. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I picked up a couple of the East Side Kids DVDs put out by Alpha and the transfers were pretty good for a public domain budget DVD.

However, The Bowery Boys are my favorite films of the series and I would love for Warner to release these in sets.

7. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    Where do films like Angels With Dirty Faces and sequel, They Made Me a Criminal, and Dust Be My Destiny fall?

These are films that feature all or some of the boys (in the Dead End Kids period, I believe) in roles supporting the likes of Cagney and Garfield.

If they are public domain titles, does that mean that WB will not touch them?

Jon

8. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Jon
    Those are all Dead End Kids films. "Angels with Dirty Faces" is still owned by Warners and will get a release at some point in the future. I believe "They Made me a Criminal" is also owned by Warners but I wouldn't count on a release anytime soon since they haven't released it on any home video format in the past(VHS or Laserdisc). The others I believe are public domain.

9. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

Jay, any reccomendations from the Alpha releases that you can make? I only have SPOOKS RUN WILD, but I want to get some more. THANKS!

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    For your information, Turner Classic Movies is showing the following East Side Kids films during the months of April and May. I will have my DVD recorder in action.
    • Kid Dynamite April 5th @ 6:00 a.m. ET.
    • Bowery Blitzkrieg April 12th @ 6:00 a.m. ET.
    • Smart Alecks April 19th @ 6:00 a.m. ET.
    • 'Neath Brooklyn Bridge April 26th @ 6:00 a.m. ET.
    • Spooks Run Wild May 10th @ 6:00 a.m. ET.
    • Boys of the City May 14th @ 11.15 a.m. ET.
    • Mr. Wise Guy May 17th @ 6:00 a.m. ET.
    • Let's Get Tough May 24th @ 6:00 a.m. ET.

Crawdaddy

11. Wayne Earl

Wayne Earl Extra

Nice to see we have some savy posters here who didn't mistake BryanV's Slip Mahoney english bastardisations for spelling errors. I grew up on the Bowery Boys and loved them.It's been a long time but I'm sure their still a riot compared to the lame mainstream gross out comedys that are deemed funny today.Gotta know your routines.

12. BryanV

BryanV Stunt Coordinator

Whyyyy i otta

I'M WISE TO YA SEE

U's guys betta (fill in the blank).

13. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Alan

The 2 that I picked up were Neath Brooklyn Bridge and Mr Wise Guy. For me, the transfers were pretty good for public domain, not overly dark or blurry like some other budget releases. I'll be picking up some more, as an under $4 price is a bargain for these (if they maintain the same quality of transfer).

Jon, They Made Me a Criminal is a public domain title. That is the only Warner title that I know of that's public domain. The other Warner titles with the Dead End Kids were:

Dead End
    Crime School
    Angels With Dirty Faces
    Hell's Kitchen
    Angels Wash Their Faces
    On Dress Parade

After these films, they went to Monogram for the East Side Kids films. There was also another series with some of the kids called Little Tough Guys which was made at Universal.

14. Robert Crawford

Robert

Jay,
    Are you sure about "Dead End" belonging to Warner? I always thought that this Goldwyn produced film was originally released through UA, but now belongs to MGM.

Crawdaddy

15. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    I realize that They Made Me a Criminal is a public domain title. I've often considered one of the several budget-line DVD releases of this title.

Is there any chance WB would release the film themselves, or would I be better off buying one of the aforementioned editions?

Jon

16. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Sorry, you're right Robert, I forgot that it was Goldwyn title. I have the Laser for this film, but I wish MGM would release it on DVD,

Jon, I doubt Warner would release They Made me a Criminal on DVD seeing how many companies have released it already. However, if they did a boxed set of the early Dead End Kid films, they might decide to release it that way. I'm not sure what the quality is like for this title on the budget DVD releases, I haven't checked any of them out.

17. Robert Crawford

Robert
    There is always a chance that Warner might release "They Made me a Criminal" as a John Garfield release.

Crawdaddy

18. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    So are the "East Side Kids", "Dead End Kids" and "The Bowery Boys" all the same characters/actors?

19. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

The line-ups changed a lot over the years with the main players being Leo Gorcey and Huntz Hall. Gorcey left the series in 1956, and Hall stayed until the very end until 1958.

20. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I'd really love to see Warner get going with some Bowery Boys flicks from 1946 - 1956, when the "boys" were all-out comedians. Maybe a "Franchise Collection" along the lines of what Universal's doing presently with Abbott & Costello.
    We need BOWERY BOYS MEET THE MONSTERS and MASTER MINDS pronto! [​IMG]