What's new

"The Day The Earth Stood Still" (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's a memory that, Gort willing, you will be able to relive over and over again on DVD pretty soon. This title is my most coveted DVD for the year 2002. I know Mr. Staddon's team will do a topnotch job that will make all of us proud. But the wait, Peter, the wait. It's killing me!

After I read this tread earlier today, I pulled my signed LD box set from my bedroom and put it on. I haven't seen this movie for a long time but I still enjoy it every time I do. Can't way for the DVD to be released, I hope they include all the stuff from the laserdisc and then some.

Kristian

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I want this DVD so bad, I can taste it. This was one of the first classic movies that I remember watching as a child and it's still probably my favorite Sci-Fi movie. (Yes, even ahead of the Holy Trilogy +1) I always talk with my Dad about his memories of seeing it in the theater when he was about 8 years old and how it scared the *!@#$&% out of him.

I wish I had the disc today, but if they're going to do it properly, I will happily wait.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
While on a house tour this past year in the DC area, I noticed some familiar looking images on some posters on the wall of one of the houses on the tour.

Turns out it was the house used as the professor's home in the movie!

I got to walk through the same front door and check out the room where the chalk-board had been. How cool is that?

-dave

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Darn cool, DaViD! You actually walked into Professor Barnhard's house! Did you solve any problems in celestial mechanics while you were there? :)
"I find it helps me to get from one planet to the next."

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
My favorite dialog is when the two doctors come out of the room where Klaatu has cured himself. They sit down, LIGHT UP, and proceed to discuss how they feel like they don't know anything about medicine....:laugh: I'm sure this wasn't intentional but still....
I also use this film as a rebuttal to those who complain about the use of real newscasters in Contact. Although youngsters may not know them, Kaltenborn and Drew Pearson were real celebrity newsmen of the day. Jack Anderson got his start working for Pearson's column.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I've often wondered about the Doctors and their cigarette, I am of the opinion that it might have been intentional, after all hadn't the link between cigarettes and cancer been established a couple of years before the movie came out?

That and the bit with the radio reporter warning about speculation over Klaatu's origins and then speculating that he "must" come from (IIRC) Jupiter are just great moments.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I'm sure I read somewhere that it was getting a release sometime this year.

It has a large following and should be a good seller for Fox.

Let's hope we get a Special Edition.

Heinz W

Second Unit
I think it's due either third or fourth quarter of this year (Region 1). It will be a special edition and will feature a commentary with director Robert Wise according to Peter Staddon of Fox. Should be well worth the wait.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
A special edition should be a no-brainer since Fox produced one for LD and should, I hope, still have all the materials. It was a beautiful set autographed by Robert Wise. Alas, like most of Fox's LD SEs, it was way too expensive for me.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I have that Special Edition LD (I bought it at a reduced price when Laserdiscs were being phased out) and it is a very beautiful set, possessing an excellent transfer and plenty of useful information. Hopefully, Fox does own all the rights to the supplemental material since it pretty much covers everything that's related to this movie.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Sharpline Arts (aka, Robert Wise Productions) is producing a special editon DVD for Fox. I'm sure it will be a fine disc when it is finally released. Based on Sharpline's past history, when it will be released is the question.

Todd Phillips

Second Unit
cg_ether.jpg

HAHAHA..I love that pic. I laugh everytime I see it!:laugh:
(Sorry, I couldn't help myself)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
This title has traveled a long and winding road to DVD. I remember when it was announced that it would be available in 2000! But we are in good hands with Fox. I know the studio will give us a DVD we can all be proud to have in our libraries.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Its been so long now I am begining to wonder if there is not some problem holding this title up?

Robert George

Screenwriter
Yeah, I've been fond of that pic for a long time. There is the association with my name (Curious George was one of many "George" nicknames when I was growing up). Even more, though, I think that pic says so many things on so many different levels. Just about the perfect sig for me. ;)
As for the disc in question, frankly, I'm not at all surprised this is taking a long time with Sharpline and Fox having to do anything together (again).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks