What's new

"The Day After Tomorrow"....today? (1 Viewer)

DaveNel

Second Unit
I remember being in Dallas 4 or so years ago in my Kenworth and it was about 3PM And freezing rain started and that whole city like died. I drove 45 Miles east on I-30 and it took me 13 hours(LOL) that was bad.. I would a never expected that there..

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Does anyone else think that the human race causing global warming will postpose the next ice age?

From what little I grasp, No, not really. From the earth’s known history I think odds are much much higher we will glaze over again, before heating becomes a major issue and that the Heat (in the form of CO2 levels) is not the cause of the 'switch'. That is earth’s 'naturally' occuring cycle; to go to ice.

A movie like TDAT, works on the premise that something can ‘kick’ the earth into an early ice age. Maybe, but whether we induce icing prematurely or not, at some point due to our planets historical normal cycle, a deep and long ice age will come. If humans are around for it; they will adapt or die.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona

Yes, it has already happened once. And yes, it IS earths naturally occuring cylce, but not anymore.

With an increase in CO2 levels earth is not like it used to be and will never be the same again.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Why “not anymore”?
Our methods of measurement and acquisition of pertinent samples relating to estimating earth’s average temp, levels of “green house gas” etc. are constantly evolving. Results using by-proxy terrestrial and marine based core samples and even stable carbon isotope samples are sometimes a bit conflicting in extrapolated data as to what might affect the levels measured in the matrix.

But generally it is accepted that these 3 periods;
Mid Holocene 6.000 yr. BFP (back from present)
Penultimate interglacial (Eemian) 125,000 BFP
Mid Cretaceous 120-90 Million BFP
were all warmer with higher CO2, Methane etc, levels than present. The Cretaceous showing evidence of having much much higher levels both of oxygen and C02 than our current and (for decades) projected rising levels.

The earth still went back to cold in between. I’m not saying that what we do in the last 500 years cannot affect critical balances in the next 100, or that ancient geological evidence is presently accurately, correctly measured and interpreted. Just that the earth has show fairly unarguable evidence of sustaining a wide pendulum swing of states, which occurred for reasons unconnected to human-sourced levels. ….and still swung back again.

Ice Caps and Glaciers have melted, let down forming lakes, dramatically increasing sea levels across the planet with greatly reduced land mass on a larger scale than ever seen in our generations, and without our input. Yet still again…..the earth swung back to cold.

My money's on "adapt.". I will second that! Although my last post ended on a brutal sounding note, I am naturally more of the “hope springs eternal” type.[/size][/font]

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Our atmosphere, and earth in general, hasnt been the same since the industrial age. And im not just talking about CO2 or Methane, but other pollutants in general.

These pollutants have had a direct effect on out atmosphere and climate. everything from more/less rain, high/low temperatures, changes in humidity, etc. etc.

Before the industrial age, concentrations of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere were about 280 ppm, currently they are approx 380ppm compared to 376 a yr ago. Compare that to an annual increase of 1.8ppm annually 10 yrs ago and only 1ppm 50 yrs ago.

Notable climatologist Ralph Keeling does agree that we are moving into a warmer world.

And Arctic warms more rapidly also due to the melting of snow and ice which normally reflects the suns rays, also due the rapid warming at the surface as colder air from the upper atmospheres do not mix with surface air as readily as in in areas in lower latitudes.

It is also thought that Humans may have prevented another ice age. As far back as 10,000 yrs ago, humans gave up hunting and gathering and began farming.

The climate has shown to be relatively stable, allowing civilization to flourish. But only because humans chopped down forrests in Europe, China, and india for croplands and pastures. CO2 released by this destruction , plus methane, produced by irrigation of rice fields trapped enough heat to offsest an expected natural cooling.

Yes, CO2 levels reached a peak at the end of the last ice age 11,000yrs ago and declined afterward, but they should have kept declining. A new ice age should have begun about 4000 to 5000yrs ago, but instead, co2 levels have risen within the last 8000yrs.

Heres the good part :)
This would lead many to believe that we are headed toward an increase in temperatures and the total destruction of out ice caps and glaciers, not so.

The melting of the ice caps and glaciers, esp around greenland is pouring tons of freshwater into the ocean, directly into the gulfstream. It is already known that the salinity of the gulfstream at the bottom of the ocean there is declining.

It is also known that through core samples of the mud at the bottom of the ocean that the gulfstream(conveyor belt) has stopped before. It isnt a matter of will this happen, but when. When will enough freshwater desalinize the gulfstream to halt its flow and cause that area of the world(britain, etc) to change dramatically? This will lead to very cold temperatures which will change the world catastrophically.

No, not another ice age, i dont think, but enough to change things as we know them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks