"The Day After Tomorrow"....today?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by ChrisHeflen, Jan 21, 2005.

1. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

For those of you who have seen this natural disaster movie,(or not) it seems to me that since this came out we have had all sorts of weird weather.
    The major cold spells and snow dumps. Southern California and Texas getting snow along with many other southern states that haven't seen it in decades.
    The horrific Tsunami.
    The way destructive hurricane season this year.
    Mt. St. Helens becoming active again.
    The giant iceberg that broke off near the South Pole(?) recently.

I don't know if this is all in my head, but it seems that this weather stuff is getting more and more freakish and it seems to have kinda been alot more since this movie came out. Or maybe I'm more aware of it because I did see that movie (and continue to watch it because of all the low bass in it).

What do you guys think?

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I don't know, but I had never experienced anything like the ice storm that hit my hometown this past December.

3. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

Now that there’s a legal precedence to sue movie studios when someone mimics a crime they saw in a movie we should sue the pants off of Fox for giving Mother Nature bad ideas. [​IMG]

4. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

I did not like this movie at all. It seemed completely fake and unrealistic. Still, I can't argue with you on it's absolutely phenomenal soundtrack. I tell you, when I watched this DVD, with my B4+ my house felt like it was going to collapse! One of the best soundtracks out there for sure.

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Chris, pick up Michael Crichton's "The State of Fear" novel, and that should help ease your worries a bit... [​IMG]

6. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Those are seismic/geological events having nothing to do with weather.

7. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    but how does walmart figure into this lawsuit? [​IMG]

CJ

8. ChrisHeflen

Carlo, is there a movie version? With low bass in the soundtrack?

RobertR, chill!

9. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

But according to you, the release of the movie decides what's chilled (or warm).

10. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan

No, simply heightened awareness.

A few years ago, the media latched onto shark attacks, and it was called the summer of the shark, or some other nonsense. However, the statistics showed that it was a pretty average year for attacks, not especially high. All the media reports served to heighten everyone's awareness, so it seemed like there were a ton.

The weather recently is no more "weird" than it has been at every other time.

11. Carlo Medina

Nope, the book just came out like a month ago.

Nathan Webel hit part of it on the head: it's the media's fixation on what they choose to convey.

I live in L.A. We had one bad spell of storms that lasted less than 3 weeks (and not even continuous rain, it went like 3 days on, 2 days off, 3 days on, 3 days off).

Did we have flooding? Yes, but not because of nonstop rains like they have in true flood areas, but because L.A. is woefully unprepared for any sort of sustained heavy downpour. Most of the flood areas were *known* trouble spots. But the nonstop media coverage made it seem like we should have started building an ark. But I have many friends and coworkers stretching from The OC to the Valley to the Inland Empire, and none of them reported any sort of flooding problems other than an occasional leaking roof or standing water.

And guess what? It's 75 and sunny right now, it was 80 on Wednesday.

12. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Just like "Global Warming". They proved that the weather (at least in the US) is actually cooler than it used to be, but whenever we have a warm day in December (in a place that is supposed to be cold), people freak out about "Global Warming".

I think the snow and ice storms in the south and west have proven that global warming would be a welcomed change. [​IMG]

13. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Someone has been reading "State of Fear"... Great book, painstakingly researched and so true to facts that it seems to be the only explanation for what drives the "End of the World" industry.

14. ChrisHeflen

The point of my thread was to see if it seems to anybody else that the weather is getting more odd. While the movie could have heightend my "awareness", contrary to the words put in my mouth, it is not my guide book to current weather events.
    This is not a "calling all activists" thread more like a "hey did you hear the thunder last nite?" thread.

15. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I think the answer is an overwhelming "no", Chris. Nathan's shark example was a good one. You're simply choosing to view it that way. And I'll reiterate, earthquakes and volcanos (two of your examples) are not weather phenomena.

If you're not saying the movie has any connection to observed reality, why mention it?

16. Carlo Medina

I will soften this by pointing out that because of media saturation, I think it's less a part on the viewer "choosing" then it is the media "forcing that viewpoint" upon its viewers. If every TV station is trumpeting severe weather phenomena, and presenting no dissenting opinions, how can we expect people to know better?

17. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

I actually made the mistake of buying this before renting it to check it out,ugh!!!, I was pretty disappointed in the story and acting,yad,yada,yada. Gave the dvd away as a Christmas gift. And about the this thread,whichever way you want to try and spin it, records are meant to be broken.

18. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Google "Global Dimming" for some interesting info.

19. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

I liked the weather in the early 70's better. We were going into another ice age at that time and the major concern was the polar cap (don't remember which one...CRS) was getting so heavy that it was inevitable that the bipolar flop was coming soon....the world tipping off its axis and all. Don't remember if it happened or not (CRS again)

The movie was stupid but the sub action was killer.

Mort

20. LanieParker

LanieParker Supporting Actor

It's Armageddon people, I'm telling you! All this weird weather and natural disasters, God is punishing us for watching all that crappy reality tv!

[​IMG]

Anyway, I think those extreme weather conditions (such as in TDAT) are possible if not likely to happen in our time.