What's new

The Day After hits DVD in 2003 (1 Viewer)

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
Lets all thank Anchor Bay Entertainment for snapping up the rights to the powerful TV movie The Day After. I consider it to be an important film about the horrors of nuclear war, a film everyone should see so that no idiot decides to go off and set off the Bomb, something that with todays rising hostilities is a possibility we can't ignore.

When I first saw this movie, sometime in the late ninties, it scared the living shit out of me. It still does. I had nuclear holocaust nightmares for weeks. I think it was the stark and terrifying realism that gives this movie its power.

But...

I'm a bit worried about what the DVD will have on it. The Day After was filmed in true 1.85:1 widescreen, not matted, and you lose a good deal of information in full frame mode. Lets hope the DVD contains a 16/9 widescreen version. Onto my second worry, that we'll be getting the 122 minute broadcast version and not the 127 minute theatrical cut, which in my opinion is much better. (hell, i'd even like to see the 3 hour cut, though Nick Meyer doesn't prefer that version). The Nick Meyer commentary could be ported from the laserdisc.

Anyone else have thoughts/opinions on this film?

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Tim, thanks for the great news. I saw this movie in the late 80s/early 90s, I was born in 1980, and it totally captivated me. I have not seen this movie in years but I will buy it immediately. Definitely one of the "scariest" movies I have ever seen!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Saw it when it first aired in 1983. Pretty good, overall, and I will buy. Anchor Bay is an enthusiast-friendly production house, so I suppose it will be in the correct AR.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
I'm a bit worried about what the DVD will have on it. The Day After was filmed in true 1.85:1 widescreen, not matted
The filmed aspect ratio according to the Image laserdisc release was 1:75:1. Just an FYI, don't know what is truly accurate in this case.
I can't buy this on DVD, I watched bits and pieces of this film lately, and it's just far too depressing. In one respect, that makes it a good film that it hits home (at least with me). And given the mention of possible use of nuclear weapons if China were to invade Taiwan last month hasn't made The Day After more palatable: Just more real.
http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapc....us/index.html (FYI)
-Brian

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
There is an R0 NTSC 126 minute version available from Brazil for $18.95. It doesn't say if its FS or WS. I'd guess FS knowing the Brazilians.
Link Removed
I to saw this when it first ran in 1983, scared the hell out of me, haven't seen it since.

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
and probably just mastered off of a VHS master. I"ll wait for the official DVD release. But I am tempted, very much so. Must...hold...out...

(hey, I waited even longer fo rthe Widescreen version of The Black Hole, I can make this)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Has the longer version (3 hours?) been made available? I know they originally conceived this to be a 2-part TV miniseries, but the first part was so bleak they were afraid that people would not tune in for the second.

Also, I'd like to see the roundtable discussion that was held live after the first broadcast...the one with Carl Sagan talking about nuclear winter. Perhaps that could be a supplement.

- Steve

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Sweeeeet! Yeah, thanks Anchor Bay! Been waiting for this one. :emoji_thumbsup: Yes, the post program discussion would be great to have, anything with Sagan on it is good in my book. Is my mind playin' tricks on me? I thought this was originally aired over two nights. And I haven't seen it since it was first broadcast either, so this is great news. Thanks again AB.

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
Here's what I know. Nick Meyer said on the commentary for the laserdisc (of which I have a duped tape) that the script was "padded" to fit into the 3 hour movie/1 hour commercial/ 2 night showing. He filmed the padded version, and when he got into the editing room, realized that a lot of it wasn't nessesary to tell the story, so he asked ABC if they could reduce it to a one night event. They readily agreed, as they were losing sponsors for it left and right, due to its depresssing and graphic nature. So he cut it the way he thought it should be, the edit clocking in at around 127 minutes or so. ABC cut that down to 122 because it deemed certain scenes to graphic. It was aired as a 3 hour movie event in America at 122 minutes. Internationally, for its theatrical and TV release, the 127 minute version was used.

Now, I don't know if the 3 hour edit is available or, if not that, then reconstructable. I hope it is, because it would be interesting to see.

In addition to Special Bulletin, I'd also like to see it packaged with the british film Threads, the Stanely Kramer film On the Beach and the fictional film Miracle Mile. None except for On the Beach are currently available.

So, my ultimate Nuclear Holocuast Set:

The Day After

Special Bulletin

Threads

On the Beach

Miracle Mile

Hey, a man can dream, can't he?

Jeff Howard

Agent
The Brazilian release was 122 minutes & the picture quality was not great,it looked like a good vhs copy.It had a few extras(bio's,awards,etc.)but they were all in spanish.Hopefully the anchor bay release will do this film justice.:)

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
I would love to see Special Bulletin find its way to DVD, but the events of 9/11 will probably keep the rights holder from doing anything with this title for a long time. A simulated TV news broadcast covering a terrorist threat in Charleston just hits too close to home right now.
While The Day After was impactful, I have always thought that Testament (Link Removed) was a more effective film. Telling the same story from the perspective of a suburban community made the situations more believeable to me. Heck, this film even had Kevin Costner and Rebecca De Mornay in small roles.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
I agree, Testament is a much better movie, and more effective.
I can't quite agree (effective).

Testament while very good, is just another perspective on the events after a nuclear war. Practically every nuclear war based movie revolves around major metropolitan cities and mass destruction, so Testament is 'refreshing' if you can refer to nuclear event as that.

Most of us live in the suburbs, and we relate more to this. In the end, both the metropolitan (large population) as well as the remote or suburben (Testament, On the Beach) are applicable.

-brian

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I taped the original first network broadcast and still have it. My one regret is that I believed the TV guide as to the start and end times. After the movie was over, there was a great interview with Carl Sagan which ran a little long, so although I have most of it, there is a little missing at the end.
Does anyone out there still have the entire Carl Sagan interview segment? I don't think it was ever shown again.
Reed :)

wally

Second Unit
I too remember the original broadcast my Junior year in College. The only scene I can still see is at the football game when they see the US missles lifting off.

Chills man...chills...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks