The Day After hits DVD in 2003

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim_Prasuhn, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Tim_Prasuhn

Tim_Prasuhn Stunt Coordinator

Lets all thank Anchor Bay Entertainment for snapping up the rights to the powerful TV movie The Day After. I consider it to be an important film about the horrors of nuclear war, a film everyone should see so that no idiot decides to go off and set off the Bomb, something that with todays rising hostilities is a possibility we can't ignore.

When I first saw this movie, sometime in the late ninties, it scared the living shit out of me. It still does. I had nuclear holocaust nightmares for weeks. I think it was the stark and terrifying realism that gives this movie its power.

But...

I'm a bit worried about what the DVD will have on it. The Day After was filmed in true 1.85:1 widescreen, not matted, and you lose a good deal of information in full frame mode. Lets hope the DVD contains a 16/9 widescreen version. Onto my second worry, that we'll be getting the 122 minute broadcast version and not the 127 minute theatrical cut, which in my opinion is much better. (hell, i'd even like to see the 3 hour cut, though Nick Meyer doesn't prefer that version). The Nick Meyer commentary could be ported from the laserdisc.

Anyone else have thoughts/opinions on this film?

2. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Tim, thanks for the great news. I saw this movie in the late 80s/early 90s, I was born in 1980, and it totally captivated me. I have not seen this movie in years but I will buy it immediately. Definitely one of the "scariest" movies I have ever seen!

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Saw it when it first aired in 1983. Pretty good, overall, and I will buy. Anchor Bay is an enthusiast-friendly production house, so I suppose it will be in the correct AR.

4. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

5. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

There is an R0 NTSC 126 minute version available from Brazil for $18.95. It doesn't say if its FS or WS. I'd guess FS knowing the Brazilians.
    http://cdbrazil.com/dvds.htm
    I to saw this when it first ran in 1983, scared the hell out of me, haven't seen it since.

6. Tim_Prasuhn

and probably just mastered off of a VHS master. I"ll wait for the official DVD release. But I am tempted, very much so. Must...hold...out...

(hey, I waited even longer fo rthe Widescreen version of The Black Hole, I can make this)

7. Jeff Howard

Jeff Howard Agent

I've seen the dvd from Brazil & its FS.

8. Tim_Prasuhn

but how's the picture/sound quality?

9. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Has the longer version (3 hours?) been made available? I know they originally conceived this to be a 2-part TV miniseries, but the first part was so bleak they were afraid that people would not tune in for the second.

Also, I'd like to see the roundtable discussion that was held live after the first broadcast...the one with Carl Sagan talking about nuclear winter. Perhaps that could be a supplement.

- Steve

10. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Sweeeeet! Yeah, thanks Anchor Bay! Been waiting for this one. [​IMG] Yes, the post program discussion would be great to have, anything with Sagan on it is good in my book. Is my mind playin' tricks on me? I thought this was originally aired over two nights. And I haven't seen it since it was first broadcast either, so this is great news. Thanks again AB.

11. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

Anyone know of any plans to release Special Bulletin on DVD? It would make a great double feature with The Day After.

12. Tim_Prasuhn

Here's what I know. Nick Meyer said on the commentary for the laserdisc (of which I have a duped tape) that the script was "padded" to fit into the 3 hour movie/1 hour commercial/ 2 night showing. He filmed the padded version, and when he got into the editing room, realized that a lot of it wasn't nessesary to tell the story, so he asked ABC if they could reduce it to a one night event. They readily agreed, as they were losing sponsors for it left and right, due to its depresssing and graphic nature. So he cut it the way he thought it should be, the edit clocking in at around 127 minutes or so. ABC cut that down to 122 because it deemed certain scenes to graphic. It was aired as a 3 hour movie event in America at 122 minutes. Internationally, for its theatrical and TV release, the 127 minute version was used.

Now, I don't know if the 3 hour edit is available or, if not that, then reconstructable. I hope it is, because it would be interesting to see.

In addition to Special Bulletin, I'd also like to see it packaged with the british film Threads, the Stanely Kramer film On the Beach and the fictional film Miracle Mile. None except for On the Beach are currently available.

So, my ultimate Nuclear Holocuast Set:

The Day After

Special Bulletin

Threads

On the Beach

Miracle Mile

Hey, a man can dream, can't he?

13. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

Of course, I wait too long to realize what a huge spoiler I'm now responsible for.

14. Jeff Howard

Jeff Howard Agent

The Brazilian release was 122 minutes & the picture quality was not great,it looked like a good vhs copy.It had a few extras(bio's,awards,etc.)but they were all in spanish.Hopefully the anchor bay release will do this film justice.[​IMG]

15. Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger Second Unit

I would love to see Special Bulletin find its way to DVD, but the events of 9/11 will probably keep the rights holder from doing anything with this title for a long time. A simulated TV news broadcast covering a terrorist threat in Charleston just hits too close to home right now.
    While The Day After was impactful, I have always thought that Testament (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0086429) was a more effective film. Telling the same story from the perspective of a suburban community made the situations more believeable to me. Heck, this film even had Kevin Costner and Rebecca De Mornay in small roles.

16. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

I agree, Testament is a much better movie, and more effective.

17. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

18. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    I taped the original first network broadcast and still have it. My one regret is that I believed the TV guide as to the start and end times. After the movie was over, there was a great interview with Carl Sagan which ran a little long, so although I have most of it, there is a little missing at the end.
    Does anyone out there still have the entire Carl Sagan interview segment? I don't think it was ever shown again.
    Reed [​IMG]

19. wally

wally Second Unit

I too remember the original broadcast my Junior year in College. The only scene I can still see is at the football game when they see the US missles lifting off.

Chills man...chills...

20. michael Scott

A much better movie on Nuclear war was a British film Called "Threads".....very scary!!