What's new

THE DAY AFTER Broadcast Vs. Extended Theatrical Release Version (1 Viewer)

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
As anyone who would care already knows, the current DVD release of the 1983 Made-for-TV movie THE DAY AFTER (which I watched again yesterday...still absolutely harrowing) features the extended (by about 6 minutes by my measure) international theatrical release version. What I am curious about is if anyone can clarify which scenes did not exist in the original U.S. broadcast edit. Even imdb.com doesn't specify. There is one scene in particular, at a burned out cinder of a chapel, where the character of Denise is discovered by her family members to be bleeding profusely from her (clothed) vaginal region. This took me quite aback--whatever nuclear horrors the network was willing to air in 1983, I can't imagine this would be one of them, so I strongly suspect this may have been extended footage. Anyone know for sure? Here's hoping we'll see some U.S. DVD releases of other nuclear warfare studies (like THREADS, THE WAR GAME and WHEN THE WIND BLOWS) soon...THE DAY AFTER and TESTAMENT are good starts but, for such compelling subject matter, not enough...

danak

Second Unit
Travis,
Denise's bleeding was in the original. I believe the scene where the soldier (the one who ran from the missle site) wakes up yelling in the hospital (or is hallucinating) is part of the extended release. I thought I read somewhere what the additional bits were, but I can't recall where at this point (possibly here on the HTF).

Dana

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The theatrical version shuffles scenes around a bit (particularly at the beginning) and I think there may be more of the control room stuff than in the t.v. broacast. I remember comparing these ten years ago when the laser came out and discovering that the changes were small and insignificent, and did not alter the mood or pacing at all.

I, too, would love to see THREADS get released here. It was issued as a region 2 DVD, but that is now out of print and going for big bigs.

THE WAR GAME, on the other hand, is still very much available in region 2 and can be rented through Nicheflix. It has a commentary track and looks remarkably good.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
The laserdisc of The Day After also had a great commentary track by director Nicholas Meyer, which MGM didn't bother to buy for their barebones DVD. Luckily, I videotaped the laser commentary when I was at college in the library. (I'm still kicking myself for not similarly videotaping the commentary by Stanley Donen and Frederic Raphael on the Two For The Road laser, one of the best I've ever heard.)

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Originally posted by danak:
Denise's bleeding was in the original.

Wow...I must say, I'm a little shocked that the censors would let that pass. Good for them...

Al Stuart

Stunt Coordinator
Travis, check your PMs. You might have to go back a bit (it's not from the last day, rather from November) to read it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks