The Day After and metallic sounding reverb..

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Scott Strang, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

As happy as I was to get this title on DVD the sound really pissed me off. I played it on 3 different players all getting the same effect.

I realize it's an old made for TV movie with a monaural soundtrack. That's fine and that's not what I'm bitching about. Because of it's heritage I would only expect mono sound and not much else.

It seems that some DVD releases end up with an audio artifact
    that I can only describe as a metallic, reverberation effect on (usually) sound effects but sometimes on actor's voices.

This isn't the first time I've heard this either. It's also present on Star Trek III Search for Spock but only shows up once or twice. The Day AFter has this throughout the entire movie.
    I've heard other copies of The Day After in the form of VHS hi-fi and never heard that damned metallic sounding reverb.

What I find even more disturbing is that no one ever seems to mention anything about it. Is it not being noticed?

Is it also a side effect of DVD's AC-3 audio? I've never heard it on releases of recent movies, only on older ones.

I really hope that others have heard this too. My copy of The Right Stuff has simular problems with it's audio and a person on this board verified that the newly released 2 disc set of The Right Stuff also has the same audio problem.

For me to tell anyone here that lousy audio can help destroy the pleasure derived from watching a movie would preaching to the converted.

2. Scott Strang

As happy as I was to get this title on DVD the sound really pissed me off. I played it on 3 different players all getting the same effect.

I realize it's an old made for TV movie with a monaural soundtrack. That's fine and that's not what I'm bitching about. Because of it's heritage I would only expect mono sound and not much else.

It seems that some DVD releases end up with an audio artifact
    that I can only describe as a metallic, reverberation effect on (usually) sound effects but sometimes on actor's voices.

This isn't the first time I've heard this either. It's also present on Star Trek III Search for Spock but only shows up once or twice. The Day AFter has this throughout the entire movie.
    I've heard other copies of The Day After in the form of VHS hi-fi and never heard that damned metallic sounding reverb.

What I find even more disturbing is that no one ever seems to mention anything about it. Is it not being noticed?

Is it also a side effect of DVD's AC-3 audio? I've never heard it on releases of recent movies, only on older ones.

I really hope that others have heard this too. My copy of The Right Stuff has simular problems with it's audio and a person on this board verified that the newly released 2 disc set of The Right Stuff also has the same audio problem.

For me to tell anyone here that lousy audio can help destroy the pleasure derived from watching a movie would preaching to the converted.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Scott, can you describe what you're hearing in a different way? I don't know what you mean by "metallic."

As for this title, I was surprised at the murky, cable TV-like picture quality — it looks more like video than film. Not bad, but certainly not all that good, either. Even so, I'm happy to have this disc. And I didn't notice anything odd about the audio.

4. Jack Briggs

Scott, can you describe what you're hearing in a different way? I don't know what you mean by "metallic."

As for this title, I was surprised at the murky, cable TV-like picture quality — it looks more like video than film. Not bad, but certainly not all that good, either. Even so, I'm happy to have this disc. And I didn't notice anything odd about the audio.

5. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

I don't know anything about this disc...

Is it a 5.1 remix? Or are you playing a mono track in a simulated stereo on your receiver? I've heard some less than stellar remixes, and I've also heard a stereo receiver really butcher the sound via some funky DSP modes...

-Scott

6. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

I don't know anything about this disc...

Is it a 5.1 remix? Or are you playing a mono track in a simulated stereo on your receiver? I've heard some less than stellar remixes, and I've also heard a stereo receiver really butcher the sound via some funky DSP modes...

-Scott

7. Eric DiPiazza

Eric DiPiazza Stunt Coordinator

I heard the same thing. I thought that it was just my player.

8. Eric DiPiazza

Eric DiPiazza Stunt Coordinator

I heard the same thing. I thought that it was just my player.

9. Jack Briggs

Scott, it's strictly mono. And I still don't know what is meant by the description "metallic."

10. Jack Briggs

Scott, it's strictly mono. And I still don't know what is meant by the description "metallic."

11. Scott Strang

If you get a chance please listen to your copy of Day After and forward to the track where a husband is trying to get his wife into the cellar. She's trying to believe that everything is normal when in fact nukes are going to fall.
    She starts screaming in terror and her voice will have that sound I'm describing. It also occurs in various places throughout the movie. I'll look for some and post info on where to find those scenes with the noise I'm describing.

Perhaps metallic isn't the best description. The sound is more of a echoing, phasing sound. It only seems to happen on sound effects such as explosions, objects striking each other and even female voices. Never heard it on male voices.

The way I can think to give you an idea of what I'm hearing would be to take a large stainless steel bucket and speak into it. Your voice with have an echo that's a result of the bucket's metal vibrating from your voice.

Eric DiPiazza, since you heard it too can you think of a good way to describe the distortion?

12. Scott Strang

If you get a chance please listen to your copy of Day After and forward to the track where a husband is trying to get his wife into the cellar. She's trying to believe that everything is normal when in fact nukes are going to fall.
    She starts screaming in terror and her voice will have that sound I'm describing. It also occurs in various places throughout the movie. I'll look for some and post info on where to find those scenes with the noise I'm describing.

Perhaps metallic isn't the best description. The sound is more of a echoing, phasing sound. It only seems to happen on sound effects such as explosions, objects striking each other and even female voices. Never heard it on male voices.

The way I can think to give you an idea of what I'm hearing would be to take a large stainless steel bucket and speak into it. Your voice with have an echo that's a result of the bucket's metal vibrating from your voice.

Eric DiPiazza, since you heard it too can you think of a good way to describe the distortion?

13. Jack Briggs

Sort of a nasal effect, maybe?

OK, thanks for identifying that specific scene on the farm outside Lawrence -- I know of which you speak and I'll listen for this anomoly and check back in.

14. Jack Briggs

Sort of a nasal effect, maybe?

OK, thanks for identifying that specific scene on the farm outside Lawrence -- I know of which you speak and I'll listen for this anomoly and check back in.

15. Charles_Y

Charles_Y Stunt Coordinator

Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
    This question is a little off the issue but concerns this telefilm. To preface: I always thought it was a decent but somewhat overrated film. I can even remember the hub bub at the time that some viewers might have to consider "psychological counseling" because of some disturbing images/scenes - this must have been marketing!

All that aside, I would like to know if this film will ever be released in its original length? The existing video version (theatrical?) has been horribly chopped down from its original broadcast. Most of what was lost was character development and such, which ultimately hurts viewer investment in the character's plight and outcome. The same sort of thing happened to the original Salem's Lot for TV. I'm curious if Nick Meyer has any input. I KNOW he has some opinion. I have found his commentaries on Star Trek II and Time After Time some of the best talks I've ever heard.

One last point, though we're talking about "The Day After" there was another TV movie that came out at that time that I thought was MUCH better, "Special Bulletin." Does anyone know if this one will ever see the light of day?

16. Charles_Y

Charles_Y Stunt Coordinator

Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
    This question is a little off the issue but concerns this telefilm. To preface: I always thought it was a decent but somewhat overrated film. I can even remember the hub bub at the time that some viewers might have to consider "psychological counseling" because of some disturbing images/scenes - this must have been marketing!

All that aside, I would like to know if this film will ever be released in its original length? The existing video version (theatrical?) has been horribly chopped down from its original broadcast. Most of what was lost was character development and such, which ultimately hurts viewer investment in the character's plight and outcome. The same sort of thing happened to the original Salem's Lot for TV. I'm curious if Nick Meyer has any input. I KNOW he has some opinion. I have found his commentaries on Star Trek II and Time After Time some of the best talks I've ever heard.

One last point, though we're talking about "The Day After" there was another TV movie that came out at that time that I thought was MUCH better, "Special Bulletin." Does anyone know if this one will ever see the light of day?

17. Scott Strang

I just thought of another place to look. Different movie but the same distortion appears here also.
    In Final Countdown near the end of movie Charles Durring's (sp) character fires off a flare gun and the chopper they're riding in explodes. The sound of that explosion really show cases the sound I'm talking about.

18. Scott Strang

I just thought of another place to look. Different movie but the same distortion appears here also.
    In Final Countdown near the end of movie Charles Durring's (sp) character fires off a flare gun and the chopper they're riding in explodes. The sound of that explosion really show cases the sound I'm talking about.

19. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Scott,
    I just checked the scene from "The Day after" that you mentioned, and I now know what you mean. For what it's worth, it sounds the same on my UK VHS version. Kinda tinny. Personally, it sounds like sub-optimal production audio to me.

Charles_Y
    I think the DVD is the original length. It's certainly the longest cut I have ever seen (126 min.) There's only one (minor) thing missing, namely the following title card:

Although based on scientific fact,
    this film is fiction. Because the
    graphic depiction of the effects of
    a nuclear war may not be suitable for
    younger viewers, parental discretion
    is advised.

Dunno why they left it off (maybe because it's not a broadcast anymore?). The above mentioned UK video version I own still has it. The DVD starts with:

We are greatful to the people of
    Lawrence, Kansas for their participation
    and help in the making of this film.

Chris

20. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Scott,
    I just checked the scene from "The Day after" that you mentioned, and I now know what you mean. For what it's worth, it sounds the same on my UK VHS version. Kinda tinny. Personally, it sounds like sub-optimal production audio to me.

Charles_Y
    I think the DVD is the original length. It's certainly the longest cut I have ever seen (126 min.) There's only one (minor) thing missing, namely the following title card:

Although based on scientific fact,
    this film is fiction. Because the
    graphic depiction of the effects of
    a nuclear war may not be suitable for
    younger viewers, parental discretion
    is advised.

Dunno why they left it off (maybe because it's not a broadcast anymore?). The above mentioned UK video version I own still has it. The DVD starts with:

We are greatful to the people of
    Lawrence, Kansas for their participation
    and help in the making of this film.

Chris