What's new

The Day After (1983 TV), what happened? (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I have been long waiting for the nuclear disaster movie "The Day After", a made for TV movie in 1983 produced by ABC Circle Films. A couple of years ago Anchor Bay distributed the VHS version with announcement of a DVD. Since then, both have disappeared and Anchor Bay says it no longer has the rights to the movie.

Who does now and any word of a DVD release???

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i saw this about a year ago on some random cable channel...suprisingly, it packs as much of a punch as it did in 1983.

i don't know if i'd get the dvd, i can't imagine wanting to watch it again.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I also am in the camp of waiting on this great flick. I just watched the BBC nuclear disaster flick "Threads" over the weekend for the first time and it was outstanding. I would like to see this on dvd aswell.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I hear you Jay. This movie scared the crap out of me as a kid when it aired in 1983.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Very disturbing film. But Disney owns it and their contract with Anchor Bay is up. If it's to come out at all, it would be through MGM.

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
Scared me too! I just mentioned this film to someone a few weeks back. If anyone knows when it is playing on cable, let me know and I'll TIVO it.

Scott

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Aryn,

"Threads" is still available in the UK as a Region 0. "The Day After" was available in Brazil up until this year. May have something to do with Disney's ownership. How did they wind up with it?

I know Anchor Bay had plans to release it on DVD and pushed the date back a couple of times and now nothing! :frowning:

"Threads" is a little bit more graphic and involved and used Japanese models for the blast scenes. Wasn't something US television would have shown during that time frame (oh how times and censors have changed). But "The Day After" is something we Yanks can relate too better.

Charles Ms

Stunt Coordinator
... and not to forget, the now famous:
"Duck and Cover" scene with Jason Robards in his car on the highway. I love it.

Bring it on.

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
The threads in which we talked about Anchor Bay's announcement also mentioned this film was shot widescreen because it was intended for TV here and theatrical release overseas. I'd love to see the DVD as Anchor Bay intended.

I'd also like to know from those that have imported the Region 0 release what it's like and if it's worth a purchase quality-wise (video, audio)?

Yes, the BBC's Threads (from the director of the even more horrific Steve Martin film, LA Story) still scares me and can still be bought in the UK on DVD -although it is now OOP. The rights are back with the BBC and should be getting a rerelease like other BBC product.

As for The Day After it's a bit 'TV' and although it still has some impact I think it was well censored -I just can't imagine what the advertisers thought when they saw it :D

For more nuclear war shocks you should look at the UK DVD of The War Game.

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
It was also resposible for traumatizing me as a kid. After watching it, I used to think that every bright flash at night , was a nuclear blast. I couldn't sleep for weeks.

Another 'nuclear scenario' type movie was the one they showed on TV that resembled a live newscast. I think it was called "Special Bulletin" When your a kid, that's really scary stuff!

Marc.

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
I bought the region 0 version from Brazil. Audio and picture seem fine, much better than my old VHS copy. Not fantastic, but then again, this was a made for tv production from the early 80s. It's also available in Japan for about $30 ( although I'm not sure if the subs can be removed ).
Very frightening movie indeed, although I think 'Threads' is more realistic. Kind of odd how Jason Robards' shirt always stays nice and clean, even towards the end where he wanders through the ruins of Kansas City. 'The Day After' had a bigger budget than 'Threads', so the aftermath sequences are more 'epic' in scope. I find 'Threads' far more frightening though. There seems to be a ray of hope at the end of 'The Day After', but 'Threads' is just bleak beyond belief. Both movies are excellent and should be required viewing for all world leaders. Another great nuclear war movie from the 80s is 'Testament' - any news of this getting a release? And what about the animated movie 'When the Wind Blows'?

Sergio Z.

Stunt Coordinator
I totally hear you guys! Nightmares from that but still want to see it again! I do remember Special Bulletin as well. It was had a terrorist plot gone wrong if I remember, bomb went off in a boat or something.

>Testament

Thanks for that! I hadn't heard of it :)

For those that can get UK TV try and catch more nuclear horror tomorrow when BBC4 show Michael Apted's (The World is not Enough) and Stephen Poliakoff's Stronger Than The Sun. A definte must see.

art_vandalay

Auditioning
add me to the list of "kids who crapped their pants watching 'the day after' and 'special bulletin'"
i heard that 'testament' movie was good, but ive never seen it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks