What's new

The Dark Knight sequel discussion thread (casting, villians, etc) (1 Viewer)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
"Star casting" would definitely lean toward Angelina Jolie in regards to Catwoman. I still maintain that either Emily Blunt or Kate Beckinsale are better choices for the part, but that's just me. If it's Talia, then I think it should be Rachel Weisz who has been rumored to be attached to that part of over a year now.

I agree with Pete-D's views on Depp. The guy is a great actor and I think he would bring a lot to the role of Riddler. Plus, it would be something that would get the hype machine off to a great start. That along with the casting of the female lead, either it be Catwoman or Talia.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Depending on what Nolan has in store for us with the third movie (should he return), this is a partial list of the things WB wants to have in the movie...

-New "tricked out" Batmobile.

-New "ticked out" Batcave.

-Return to Wayne Manor

-Two new villains (at least one "name" actor/actress).

-New female lead.

-Another Bat-vehicle (a plane or a speed boat or both).

-Using Arkam Asylum in at least one scene.

-Introducing the Harvey Bullock and Renee Montoya characters.

-Movie will be just as epic (if not more so) than both BB and TDK.

WB spent a combined $330 million in production costs on BB and TDK and the two films have now earned a combined $1.3 billion worldwide at the box office. This of course doesn't count the hundreds of millions made from the DVD/toy/overall merchandise sales.

Should Nolan return, he'll probably has as much as $225-$250 million to play with in terms of his initial budget, which the studio won't blink at since he brought in both BB and TDK in on-schedule and under-budget. Again, depending on where Nolan wants to go with the story, the studio obviously wants the scale of the movie to be just as grand and epic as the previous two entries.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Hmmm...not sure what I think about all of that. I really hope that Nolan comes back and that nothing is "forced" upon him. I doubt that it would be if he is at the helm. Another director? Well, we might get too much studio "committee" interference. I do think they should return to the Batcave and Wayne Manner. I'm not so sure about a tricked out Batmobile, but since the last one was destroyed it might be ok. I just don't want them to go overboard. And I really don't want a "ticked out" Batcave. That just sounds gross.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
If and when Nolan negotiates his contract, I'm sure he'll once again have total control of the project, but WB's list isn't unreasonable and Nolan will probably accommodate the studio on most of their "needs". Nolan doesn't strike me as a "director for hire" and probably needs to be passionate about every project he approaches.

I still think he'll do another film in between TDK and the next Batman flick, but he may end up inking his new deal before he goes off to helm said other film (rumored to be "The Prisoner" for Universal). I don't think the studio should worry though, with Nolan they'll be able to get most of that list into the movie.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
-New "tricked out" Batmobile.

Makes sense based on TDK

-New "ticked out" Batcave.

Makes sense seeing as it was blown up in BB

-Return to Wayne Manor

See above

-New female lead.

Sadly inevitable. I would like to see just one superhero movie without some dumb romance triangle/problems. I think the only hope will be if they make a HEllboy 3.

-Another Bat-vehicle (a plane or a speed boat or both).

Makes sense since they introduced one in TDK.

-Using Arkam Asylum in at least one scene.

didn't that happen in BB?

-Introducing the Harvey Bullock and Renee Montoya characters.

Makes sense with Gordons promotion in TDK, and expanding the characters.

-Movie will be just as epic (if not more so) than both BB and TDK.

???

Basically, this list of "demands" sound more par for the course as opposed to a BATMAN & ROBIN situation where they were forced to add stuff for merchandising. All of that list makes sense plot wise moving forward. Heck, TDK show'd that Batman needs an airplane, I expect the BATWING to make an appearance.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I don't really think the list is unreasonable either and I wouldn't be surprised if most of the list makes it into a sequel. It is just that these kinds of lists when not executed properly can lead to some bad movies or bad parts in movies. With Nolan and his creative team in charge, it is not something that I would really worry about and it is not like Warner is trying to mess up the best thing they have going.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
You will get a new Batcave and a return to Wayne Manor, not because WB wants it (and not that Chris Nolan would give two hoots about their opinion) ... but because that's basically what Nolan has already set up. The rebuilding of Wayne Manor "brick by brick" is already a thematic point set up in the first film.

There will be a new Batmobile, but again, that will likely be entirely up to Nolan's discretion as to what it is and what it looks like.

I suspect it'll be something designed in a covert fashion so a snooping Wayne Enterprises employee wouldn't be able to link Bruce Wayne to it (as per The Dark Knight). I also suspect it won't have a long "bat fin" anywhere on it.

Bat plane/boat ... again up to Nolan entirely. He's not going to be forced to put anything in his film that he feels is frivolous or silly.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
I remember one of the biggest complaints about the Tumbler was that it didn't look like the previous Batmobiles and was sans "fin". That is until it was seen in action in the movie. While many have a soft spot for Burton's Batmobile from his two movies, the Tumbler proved to be a big crowd favorite and is my favorite of the cars seen in the movies.

The Bat-Pod also was deemed "ugly" after its early reveal, but again, many grew to love it after they saw it in action in TDK. I honestly can't wait until the summer of 2011 to see what Nolan has in store for moviegoers.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Come to think of it, why was there a bat-motorcycle built into the Tumbler in the first place?

Pete-D

Screenwriter

So that if the Tumbler ever suffered a catastrophic break down, Batman wouldn't be left sitting on the side of the road waiting for the Triple A to give him a lift.

Basically I assume it was integrated into the Tumbler in case of the exact scenario that happens to him in the TDK, heh.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
The Bat-Pod is essentially the Tumbler's version of an escape pod.

Russell, the new Batmobile, Batcave, and third vehicle represent massive toy sale potential for the studio. As do a pair of new villains to build the marketing campaign around (especially if one or both roles are filled with recognizable stars). A new love interest will appeal to the female demographic, something these type of films have always had a challenge in doing.

With the budget Nolan is going to have access to (should he return), the studio expects a movie bigger (in scale) than both BB and TDK. Granted, the studio's requests are very much in keeping with the natural progression of what Nolan has already done and the powers-that-be have every confidence that he (Nolan) and his team will deliver another great movie for which they can profit from.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Please no Bat Boat or Bat Plane. Actually, I could care less, as long as they don't write it in the story because it has to be there. Then it usually sucks. "Hey we can sell lots of Bat Plane, let's put a plane in the movie".

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Of course they allow marketing. The difference is, these are all set up in the previous movie as opposed to a BATMAN & ROBIN situation where various Batsuits and such were dictated by the studio heads specifically for toy sales. Nolans films seem to be done the opposite, he makes them as he seems fit, and the marketers do their thing with whats offered.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I'd love to see a Nolan-Batplane.

Does anyone how well TDK toys have been selling in comparison to the other films? Didn't Batman Forever sell the best in terms of toys?

Pete-D

Screenwriter

The TDK merchandise is being bought primarily by older collectors, it's not what it used to be like with the '89 Batman and the 90s sequels, where the toys were aimed at kids.

Nolan is not going to write the third Batman movie taking merchandising and toys into account, that's just ridiculous to suggest.

Warner Bros. may want more merchandising avenues but ultimately it's Nolan who gets to decide what's in his film and what's not.

Warner Bros. doesn't really have any control over what or who is in the next Batman film, it's not a movie that's going to be made by a bunch of suits sitting around a conference table.

If they now want to make a merchandise-friendly third Batman film, say bye-bye to Nolan and likely Bale also.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Before the TDK line hit shelves, "Batman Forever" had sold the most toys of the series (the 1989 movie sold the most merchandise overall, but 'Forever' was the best toy seller). By the end of the year, TDK will have sold the most toys of the nearly 20 year old franchise. There are actually waiting lists for some Joker merchandise and retailers have had a hard time keeping Joker action figures in stock.

Not only did TDK go through the roof at the box office, while also enjoying massive critical acclaim, but it has also moved a lot of merchandise as well. This is definitely something WB wants more of in the future.

Bale, Caine, Oldman, and Freeman are locked up for one more movie. Nolan has yet to ink a new deal, but he's expected to when he returns from (a much deserved) vacation.

Pete-D

Screenwriter

Of course they like making money, but this is a case where they really don't have any power to tell Nolan what to do.

They're not going to go to him and say "Y'know ... Chris, we'd sure like to have a Bat Plane in the next movie so we can sell more toys, so yeah go ahead and write that in and have that draft on my desk for lunch".

That is not going to happen. Nolan will go off into his garage and write the next film just like he did the previous two and no studio exec is going to tell him what to put in his film.

Maybe that's how the old Batman films were made, but not these ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks