1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Dark Knight sequel discussion thread (casting, villians, etc)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Tyler Gagnon, Aug 1, 2008.

1. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    sacramento imax finally has the dark knight.. I am going tonight at 6pm.
    it will be my second time in imax and third time seeing it.

Jacob

2. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

3. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    I'd love to see Blunt as Catwoman. Not so sure about Beckinsale. She just hasn't done much for me as an actress in the past few years.

4. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma

Unlikely. TDK will likely be the pinnacle of the franchise. No one in the rogues gallery of Batman's villains can match what was done by the Joker in TDK.

If the next film is to focus on a Catwoman/Batman frission the scope of the third film will be, by that very aspect, smaller, less epic, and hence less robust at the box office.

5. Michael:M

Michael:M Supporting Actor

While I have a lot of hope and earned trust (in Nolan & Co.) that a third film will be excellent, I'm not sure it will do this kind of box office. It will do more than Begins, but I think it will be extremely difficult to top TDK's performance. A lot of factors came together for this, all backed by an exceptionally good film.

6. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

I think the next Batman flick can earn about $350 million. While there isn't really another villain out there nearly as popular as Joker, I think Catwoman will generate a lot of interest.

WAYNE: How will it hold up against dogs?

FOX: You talking chihauhaus rotweilers?

(Wayne smiles.)

FOX: It should do fine against cats.

Whether intended as a nod to Catwoman or not, this exchange got a big reaction from the crowd all three times I saw the movie, so there is a definite interest in seeing Catwoman in a future installment.

I think it's a tall order to expect the next movie to come close to TDK's grosses, but if they make another great movie than the studio should believe they have a realistic shot a final domestic haul in the neighborhood of $350-$400 million.

7. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I think if they make a great script then it should have no problem with 350-400. But I doubt, like others have mentioned, if you can get the hype with another villian. The joker was their money shot. But who knows, if you got someone like Johnny Depp to play a character and he had an amazing performance, you could get above 400 with a great story also. Pirates made money solely on Depp's performance.

8. RobertR

RobertR Executive Producer

Exactly.

9. DavidPla

DavidPla Cinematographer

Do you think people will try to spin that number (350-400 M) as a disappointment for the third film though? I mean, it's still a huge number now or in 3 years time but there's still people who claim that Spider-Man 3 bombed despite making 330 M (just not as high as the first or second movie).

10. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Of course. They'll be wrong but they'll still try to do it. [​IMG]

11. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

In all honesty, I feel The Dark Knight should be the last Batman film. It's a good way to go out as more sequels can only diminish 2 really good films. Given the box office take though, they will probably make 4 more.....[​IMG]

12. DavidPla

DavidPla Cinematographer

Batman films will be made until the end of time. Even a truly terrible bomb like Batman & Robin couldn't kill the series. The question is who will be making them and what ways will they re-image him.

13. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

And then the movies will get worse and worse and in twenty years someone else will revamp Batman, yet again. [​IMG]

14. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

15. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

WB is going to hold on to Nolan as long as they possibly can. If he commits to do a third movie, they'll probably want an option for a fourth (and maybe fifth). If Nolan walks away after film #3 than the studio will ink a deal with another director, but the door will always be open for Nolan to come back. He has tremendous good will built at the studio and he's a really popular guy with the brass. They want to maintain his services as long as humanly possible.

As for the Depp interview, he sounded interested in the prospect to say the least. As was stated before, a lot of A-list talent are quite interested in appearing in the next movie due to the massive success of TDK. Batman is an extremely hot property right now thanks to Nolan and co.

16. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

As long as they don't rush a 3rd movie it can still be great, they do not need to stop now. It will not be as big as the first, but even with a less hyped villian you can still have a great movie, like the first one.

17. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Spidey 3 was considered a bomb because the movie sucked.

18. DavidPla

DavidPla Cinematographer

But that's not what a "bomb" is. Alvin and the Chipmunks might be disliked but there's no denying that it's a blockbuster. Serenity was highly praised (at least online) but it's a bomb.

19. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

Where Sony got into trouble with Spidey 3 was its reportedly really high budget. About $50 million of the film's $300 million-plus budget (counting all the marketing costs) was tied up with Sam Raimi, Tobey Maguire, and Kirsten Dunst. With a budget as high as what they had, many felt the movie should've been a lot stronger in terms of the final product.

Still, Spidey 3 went on to become the most successful film of the trilogy internationally, as it earned a franchise best worldwide mark of $890.9 million. Before TDK blew off the box office hinges (currently sitting on a $919 million worldwide haul), Spidey 3 was the most successful comic book/superhero flick globally.

Despite the movie being widely considered a disappointment, it was anything but a box office bomb. Still, expect the next Spidey flick to cost a lot less than 3 did, especially considering that both Maguire and Dunst will probably be replaced with younger (and cheaper) performers. This time, the studio will lock up the replacements with three-film contracts, something they didn't do before.

WB wisely did this with its principle stars from "Batman Begins" (i.e. Bale, Caine, Oldman, and Freeman), but didn't do this with Christopher Nolan who prefers deals on a picture-to-picture basis.

20. Pete-D

Pete-D Screenwriter

I think Nolan maybe should be a bit pragmatic. If the Riddler is indeed the main villain for the third film, then having Depp would help ease the transition from Ledger's Joker.

Casting a lesser known into that role -- unless their performance is through the roof, they likely are going to get their performance picked apart by the public/press in comparision to Ledger's Joker.

Depp has gained enough goodwill from the public that this would be less of an issue, they'd be willing to look at the character more on his own merits. I would cast Johnny Depp and not think twice about it.

And it's not like Depp can't act, unlike Angelina Jolie, he's hardly a one note actor.

After that, if say Talia or Catwoman or whoever is in the script -- Nolan can then just cast those parts using whoever he wants rather than taking into account "star casting" or whatever.