What's new

The Dark Knight sequel discussion thread (casting, villians, etc) (1 Viewer)

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Rumor only. Along with Casey Affleck linked to the part, Jolie as Catwoman and Philip Seymour Hoffman as Penguin. Speculation only at this point.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
While this is only a rumor, the studio only wants to use an exceptional actor (or actors) as the next film's villain(s). The performances of both Heath Ledger and Aaron Eckhart really threw down the gauntlet and WB really wants the next movie to be as close to the quality of the second as possible.

While the studio has a vague idea of who Nolan wants to use in the next movie as far as the villains go (should he return), names like Johnny Depp, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, and Angelina Jolie are going to be tossed around because they are "name" performers. Nolan is now an A-list director in charge of an A-list franchise so there's going to be a line around the block of big stars wanting in on his third Batman flick.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Based on the choices hes made so far, Hoffman fits a bit more than the likes of Depp or Jolie who I just dont see as the type Nolan would pick.

Everyone seems to be mentioning Jolie for Catwoman.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Depp would be good I guess but i'm more interested in P.S. Hoffman as Penguin, now THAT is a good choice IMO.

Don't care for the idea of Jolie as Catwoman, mostly because she's everyone's choice and seems too easy a choice to me. Nolan should get someone we don't expect like he did with Heath.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Sorry, all wrong. The problem starts when you cast huge celebrities in these roles, which was the problem from the start with the 1989-1997 series. Ledger was a star, but not a huge celebrity - and not a box office draw. Depp and Jolie are, and I would hate to see this series go that route.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I agree with Sam. I don't want this Batman series to go down the "guest star of the week" road. They don't need to start hiring a name, just continue hiring the best actor for the role. If that happens to be a big name star, so be it but, don't chose the actor just because they have a big name.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm not so much concerned with the actors chosen (though agree that Jolie is a lazy choice, how about Devon Aoki? That girl who played Miho in sin City?) but with them matching the number of super villians with the movie number. the old series suffered from this, and ended up with bad movies that were just too busy to do anything right.

SPIDER-MAN had the same problem with the 3rd one, not too sure why they feel the need to throw in more villians per movie in these sequels.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Russel my friend that is exactly what I was thinking. Personnaly I think Spidey 3 would have worked a LOT better if we met Brock, the alien suit and even went as far as having Brock "find" the suit (or vice-versa) but saved Venom for another movie. Sandman was more than enough and the whole Harry sub-plot was enough of a side story/2nd villain for me.

I think a third film should either have only ONE villain or if you must have 2 (and I mean only if you REALLY HAVE TO) then it be at separate times. In other words almost as a 2 tales in one. First part of the movie deal with one Villain and only once that one is securely at Arkham do we deal with a 2nd threat. NO TEAM UPS OF VILLAINS!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
"Guest villain of the week" is a good term to call it and that's exactly what I want Nolan to avoid.

I know that there were two women who played catwoman on the Batman series, can't recall their names but one was attractive and the other not so much...Nolan needs to lean more towards the not so much one IMO. Everyone expects Catwoman to be this super hottie and that is far too commercial to me.

I said this in the other Batman thread, Nolan needs to think about what Joel Shumacher would do...and do the opposite lol.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
The thing is though Johnny Depp is a legitimately good actor.

So I mean you can hold the fact that he is a big star and well liked by the female audience against him, but I don't doubt he could do a very good job as the Riddler if the script was strong.

If they have him read for the part and he's better than anyone else, then what? You're not going to cast him because he's too popular?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
But the thing that separates Depp from someone like Jolie is that he is extremely diverse and can disappear into a role, Jolie is, IMO, a one trick pony, all she get's is sexy roles (Girl, Interrupted is the exception) and you can always tell that it's her playing them.

I guess what i'm trying to say is I feel that she's boring and just plain wrong for the role of Catwoman wheras Depp would be eccentric and diverse enough to make the Riddler something very interesting.

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator

I thought she was good - really good in A Mighty Heart.

Though I don't think she will be a good fit for Nolan's Batman World. But hey, if he casts her and given his current track record - It can't be that bad.

-Ray

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I could see some one lesser known, like Minka Kelly getting the Selina Kyle/Catwoman part if they opt to go that route.

If it's a male villain though I think there is going to be tremendous pressure to match Ledger's performance, having Depp in a lot of ways could alleviate the film of that pressure.

Llappin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leila
How about Lake Bell for Catwoman? I thought she portrayed a charismatic scientist and mom pretty convincingly in the TV series Surface. She is a relatively unknown and she is pretty but not doll like.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I think they might have to bite the bullet in this regard.

Because if the audience is thinking every 10 seconds "well Heath Ledger was better" ... it could hurt a third Batman film.

At least with Depp he has the trust of the audience, they'll go with it and the film won't have to be saddled against all those (unfair) expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks