What's new

The Dark Knight Rises (2012) (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'm not to versed on all the Batman Mythology outside of the Burton/Schumacher/Nolan films, the 60s tv show and the Animated Series. So maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see what the fuss over the title is. It actually seems to make sense to me considering how TDK ended, setting the stage for Batman to rise again as Gotham's hero and protector.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I don't think the title is that bad, makes a change from the usual "Return", "Revenge", "Curse", "Bride of", "Resurrection", "Final Chapter", etc

Wait didn't we have Rise of the Silver Surfer, recently, oops. Change it please! To um... The Dark Knight Escapes! or... Night of the Dark Knight! oooh! I hope Nolan's reading this.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I think Adams post is pretty much right on. I thought Riddler and Catwoman would work well together because of the psychological tests they would provide to Batman/BruceWayne, and keeping with the escalation theme. Rachel was very instrumental in Bruce Wayne becoming Batman, so how would Bruce Wayne deal with being emotionally drawn to someone whos morals and values are the exact oppposite of Rachels. Riddler for... well his Riddles that need to be deciphered in order to protect civilians. Its alot for Batman to have to deal with on a psych level. I agree Catwoman by herself isnt enough of a villian,shes more of a personal battle, and not enough to tie into the Rises title.

As Nolan seems to be sticking with the crime lord, underground types, I can only think of Catwoman, Penguin or Black Mask, but I cant imagine Nolan using Cobblepot and Catwoman in the same film again. Problem with Black Mask isnt he hasnt been set up with Bruce Wayne previously, unless Nolan changes the characters back story.

If Catwoman and Black Mask are appearing together, the film might be inspired by Wargames, with criminals battling over who will be triumphant as Gothams crime boss ( which I never read, havent read a Batman comic book in about 15 years).

Interested to see who the villian/s will be.

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
Nice to see Nolan ditching the Riddler for one and most likely no Penguin. I do welcome the idea of having the Black Mask and the Catwoman as others have suggested.

Since this is Nolan’s end of the trilogy which has somewhat centered around an obsessive war on crime, then Black Mask would be a perfect fit with Deadshot in a sub-plot and tagging Catwoman as a love-interest. My idea of a story would be centered around the Black Mask’s major plot and having him engage Deadshot to strike at Catwoman thus pushing Batman to a breaking point and going berserk to clean up Gotham and finally to his eventual demise.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Penguin can be a great villian if done properly. Problem is he never has been really. Even TAS came up short in using the character.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Whoever the villain ends up being they've got a helluva task in front of them trying to follow Ledger's performance.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Brent M
Whoever the villain ends up being they've got a helluva task in front of them trying to follow Ledger's performance.
I agree. I just hope they don't throw to many bad guys/girls into the mix. I don't want three bad guys/girls running around fighting Batman.

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
I'm not concerned about the next villain living up to the standard set by Ledger. If the story is good, and the villain is a credible threat to Batman, I'd be fine with an understated performance. I'm very glad that Nolan doesn't do casting by popularity and bring in some scenery-chewer like Depp, even though it would generate a lot of buzz. I'm so much happier with Tom Hardy.

MichaelD

Stunt Coordinator
Rumors about some female casting and a potential villain.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/11/02/batman-rumors/

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
^^ le sigh. Another day, another set of timid rumors. I wonder if they're really go with "... Rises?" I think there's a good chance it will change before release.

There's a link on that site to the left with costume tests from Tim Burton's long defunct Superman Lives. Far more... [SIZE= 10px]interesting[/SIZE].

21eada06_SupermanLives5.jpg

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/18836/nolan-geared-for-knight-no-cg-joker

In other 'Rises' news, a report emerged at CBM claiming that CG and deleted footage from "The Dark Knight" was to be used in 'Rises' to give the late Heath Ledger's The Joker character a cameo appearance in 'Rises' - likely something as quick as the CG young Arnie cameo in "Terminator Salvation".
Warners quickly shot down the report, telling Moviehole the rumour is "just not real".
Updated: Nolan and his wife/producing partner Emma Thomas themselves dismissed the report last night, telling Heat Vision "I heard the rumor. We’re not doing that."
Nolan added that Ledger’s performance as the Joker should be contained to the 2008 movie.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
A long ways off, but this exclusive interview with the executive vice-president of IMAX is fascinating. It seems IMAX and Nolan are going to push even further with Rises. Great, great interview

http://collider.com/david-keighley-imax-interview-the-dark-knight-rises-tron-legacy/66297/

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Anne Hathaway has officially been cast as Selina Kyle - CATWOMAN.

Tom Hardy's role has been confirmed as BANE:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=29929

Well, that settles that, then. Warner Bros. has just announced that Anne Hathaway has won the race to star in The Dark Knight Rises... as Selina Kyle. Also known as Catwoman. “I am thrilled to have the opportunity to work with Anne Hathaway, who will be a fantastic addition to our ensemble as we complete our story," said director Christopher Nolan in a press release.
And, in the same release, WB and Christopher Nolan confirmed that the role Tom Hardy will play in the eagerly-awaited Batman threequel is Bane, the muscle-bound super-steroidal freak who, in the comics, once broke Batman's back. “I am delighted to be working with Tom again and excited to watch him bring to life our new interpretation of one of Batman’s most formidable enemies.”
This represents a flood of information for a Christopher Nolan Bat-movie, and gives us plenty to chew on. We can't wait to see Nolan's take on the twisted relationship between Batman and the capricious Cat - and Hathaway certainly has the chops, and the curves, to fill out the catsuit. Intriguingly, Catwoman isn't mentioned in the WB press release, but with Nolan openly admitting that this is the end of his Bat-tale, it's hard to imagine that Kyle won't become Catwoman at some point in the film.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
Meh. Count me as one who's very disappointed with the announcement of Bane. I was crossing my fingers for Hardy to be an interesting, meaty character like Hugo Strange, something that could delve into dark psychological and somewhat twisted material. Bane is just muscles and a mask to me, perhaps one of the most boring of all the rogues gallery. I'm sure Nolan will have an interesting take on him, but my excitement for this next installment has gone down a notch nevertheless.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
The problem with Anne Hathaway as Catwoman is that boners in a public theater make me awkward. The problem with Tom Hardy as a big muscle-man is that boners in a public theater make me awkward. The title finally makes sense.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by joshEH
The problem with Anne Hathaway as Catwoman is that boners in a public theater make me awkward. The problem with Tom Hardy as a big muscle-man is that boners in a public theater make me awkward. The title finally makes sense.
I'm OK with boners in movie theaters, so this is good news for me. EXCEPT....

Bane is a lame-o villian. I mean in the comics where he had his big moment, he wasn't all that great. The way Nolan has created a "real world" Batman, I'm not sure how I see Bane fitting into it. I'd rather see a bizarre Killer Croc if your going to go in a more fantastic direction.

I'm OK if Anne goes mask-less as long as we get her in a tight cat suit. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks