What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment commemorates the 35th Anniversary of The Dark Crystal with a restored 4K UHD Blu-ray release which includes a new Dolby Atmos soundtrack.

Disc Information

Studio:
Distributed By:
Video Resolution:

Aspect Ratio:
Audio:

Subtitles:
Rating:

Run Time:
Package Includes:

Case Type:

Disc Type:
Region:

Release Date:
MSRP:

The Production:

Video:
3D Rating:

Audio:

Special Features:

Overall:

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I would have picked up a 4K BLU set for this today as future proofing. even the Digibook edition but since Sony and Jim Henson Prod felt it was only beneficial to include the ATMOS audio track to the 4K disc only .... I wont be buying any of these new BLUs.

I purchased the Labyrinth 4K combo but I was actually getting a better product with Atmos .... othewise if you dont have 4K it just a double or is this a triple dip?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I would have picked up a 4K BLU set for this today as future proofing. even the Digibook edition but since Sony and Jim Henson Prod felt it was only beneficial to include the ATMOS audio track to the 4K disc only .... I wont be buying any of these new BLUs.

I purchased the Labyrinth 4K combo but I was actually getting a better product with Atmos .... othewise if you dont have 4K it just a double or is this a triple dip?

While I agree it is a bummer that Sony is one of the studios who has now refused to include Atmos on Blu-ray and only on their 4k releases, the video transfer on the Blu-ray was struck from the new 4K scan, so it is an improvement over the previous Blu-ray release.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Thanks for the review, Todd!

One question, though; do you notice a video glitch right around the 1:21:50 mark? Right as it cuts to the wide shot of the light hitting the crystal, the beam of light pops in, vanishes, then comes down again. There seem to be a couple of frames from later in the shot in the wrong place. It's like this on both the UHD and the new Blu-ray.

It's a little thing, but because it's right in the middle of the climax, it's kind of glaringly obvious to me. But I can't find anyone else online who seems to have noticed it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review, Todd!

One question, though; do you notice a video glitch right around the 1:21:50 mark? Right as it cuts to the wide shot of the light hitting the crystal, the beam of light pops in, vanishes, then comes down again. There seem to be a couple of frames from later in the shot in the wrong place. It's like this on both the UHD and the new Blu-ray.

It's a little thing, but because it's right in the middle of the climax, it's kind of glaringly obvious to me. But I can't find anyone else online who seems to have noticed it.
I just watched this scene a few times and see nothing out of place. Oppo 203

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I just watched this scene a few times and see nothing out of place. Oppo 203

It's actually right at 1:21:52. The cut from the suns coming together to the wide shot of the light coming down on the crystal. It's a frame or two from later in the shot misplaced at the head of it.

I also caught it in the Fathom Events screening, so it's probably on the master.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks