What's new

The Darjeeling Limited trailer (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Here's my review:
October 23, 2007
Review: The Darjeeling Limited
review073ks4.gif
The Darjeeling Limited is Wes Anderson's most focused film to date. It isn't a particularly ambitious picture, but it steams ahead with a confident focus and charisma not found in his earlier efforts. A title card from the director at the beginning requests that the audience see "Hotel Chevalier" first even though everyone has already pretty much committed themselves regardless once they've taken their seats. It just so happens that I had seen it; I agree that it adds something, but I'm happy it was left off here. The opening sequence as presented, fuelled by an absurdist urgency reminiscent of Godard's Breathless, perfectly sets the tone of picture: light, whimsical and painfully human.
The main characters, once the film finds them all, are brothers of the classic Wes Anderson archetype: intelligent, articulate, manipulative and extraordinarily wounded. Jack is unlucky in love and passive aggressive, forced out of his comfortable exile by his domineering former lover. Peter is pessimistic and arrogant in his emotional distance, fleeing his pregnant wife primarily because he always saw himself as a future divorcee. Francis is domineering, self-hating, and lonely. He crashed his motorbike into a hill and survived only because the doctors rather regrettably managed to do every single thing right. Over the course of this movie, their lives will not progress meaningfully so much as evocatively.Continue Reading

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I found this film on the underwhelming side mainly because I never could develop much interest in the 3 brothers, their running around with so much baggage (I get the metaphor, just didn't need to be hammered on the head all film long), and bouncing around India. Even the 'serious' stuff towards the end never connected with me, plus the staid use of 2-dimensional framing of the scenes just got really boring to watch.

This is most likely be a "love-it-or-hate-it" type of film, and I lean towards the "not liking it much" camp.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks