"The Dancer" (2000)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChristopherM, Oct 9, 2001.

1. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know anything about the 2000 movie "The Dancer"? The French DVD has both French and English soundtracks, but only French subtitles, so I'd like to know if the English soundtrack is the original.
    This is listed as a France-originated movie by dvdfr.com, but it does not state the original language.
    The imdb lists it as being French movie with an English soundtrack, a fairly unlikely combination if you ask me.
    On the other hand, an Australian review says that this is a US movie:
    http://www.urbancinefile.com.au/home...4956&s=Reviews
    (Oddly, the Australian version of this movie seems to have a longer running time)
    Can anyone clarify this please?
    By the way, if anyone seen the French DVD, I was also wondering if the picture quality had been compromised by the disk space required for the two DD5.1 soundtracks, the two DTS soundtracks and the extras.
    Thanks

2. Didier

Didier Agent

"The Dancer" is indeed a french film, produced by Luc Besson and directed by Frédéric Garson (who worked earlier as Luc Besson assistant).
    But like most Besson's films, it was certainly shot in english.
    This film had limited success in France, and the DVD release came rather unnoticed. I have not seen any review for this DVD.
    Didier.

3. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...on a scale of -3 ... +4 Cinopsis gave this (rather - or blessedly, depending on one's POV) short (under 90 minutes) movie a resounding minus three points...
    ...this Australian review is more generous: http://www.urbancinefile.com.au/home...ection=Reviews
    ...a German review I read doesn't have too much good to say about the movie (dance numbers are ok, everything in-between is boring)...
    Q: How to sell a DVD of a(ny) movie that nobody, or hardly anybody, or, at best, very few people went to see ... or would buy a DVD of ?
    A: Simple! Just slap the name Luc Besson on the cover in large, easy-to-read letters and release it with a dts soundtrack !
    (signed) Passing Cynic

4. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies, guys.
    I've noticed that movies and DVDs that feature this kind of music (eg Hackers, Run Lola Run, Everything Everything) do tend to get polarised reviews. Still, if The Dancer's story really is that boring, at least DVD chaptering should allow the dance sequences to be re-watched in their own right.
    I agree that it is clearly a commercial decision to place Besson's name so prominently above the title on the DVD sleeves to The Dancer, Taxi and the upcoming Yamikase. However, he was the writer so it is similar to the marketing of movies based on stories by other big names like Stephen King, John Grissom and Steven Spielberg.
    On the other hand, as a non-writing, non-directing, simple producer, Besson's credit was quite rightly less prominent in the movie posters to "Nil by Mouth". Contrast this to the more cynical marketing of certain other films "presented" (but not directed, photographed or written) by certain big Hollywood names.
    Anyway, in the case of "The Dancer", I am just as interested in the sadly less publicised fact that the cinematographer is Thierry Arbogast, whose credits include Les Rivières Pourpres, The Messenger, The Fifth Element, Léon and Nikita (…and why do cinematographers always receive so little credit in film publicity? For me the mention of a name like Arbogast, Toland, Unsworth or Storaro is in itself a good reason to investigate a movie).
    As for the use of a DTS soundtrack as a marketing device, yes, I do doubt companies' motives when multiple soundtracks (two DTS and two DD5.1 on one DVD, for goodness sake!) begin to threaten the amount of disk space available to encode a decent image. The actual blessing of this being a short movie may turn out to be one of preserving picture quality.

5. Didier

Didier Agent

I wrote earlier that "The Dancer" have had limited success in France. I have checked the Box Ofice records in France. "The Dancer" has made only 326.267 admissions (Box Office records are counted in France with admission numbers, not in $...).
    To be compared with other Luc Besson's produced films :
    Taxi : 6.464.411 admissions
    Taxi 2 : 10.347.329 admissions
    Yamakazi : 2.400.995 admissions
    By the way, french film with english dialogue is not such an unlikely combination. It has become an common feature for films aimed at an international career. Most Luc Besson and Jean-Jacques Annaud films are made this way. Even the late Louis Malle used it for "Fatale" (Damage) in 1992.
    Didier.

6. Michael_N

Michael_N Auditioning

I am an ufortunate owner of the HK version of this title which adds insult to an injury by being full screen. It is indeed an awful film. Shot in English since the action takes place in some kind of bizarre French version of NY (where night clubs are actually crowded before midnight!) it is a story of a mute (but not deaf) dancer who dreams of performing on Broadway (I'll spare you the full synopsis). The whole thing is so bad that it might be funny if you're willing to sit through it and especially if you live in NY.