The Da Vinci Code --

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Pete-D, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Pete-D

Pete-D Screenwriter

Are there any more details on this movie? Have they started shooting it yet?

I just finished the book, and my thoughts on the book are the first 1/3 is quite entertaining, the middle-act is brilliant and fun, but the final act was a bit weak.

I've heard Ron Howard is directing with Russell Crowe playing the lead and Kate Beckinsale as Sophie.

I think this film, like PotC, will also benefit from extra media hype thanks to controversey (although likely not nearly as much) that is inevitably going to happen.

I do think this could be Hollywood's next big franchise, sort of an Indiana Jones for the older crowd. I think the "exotic" locales will translate to a good film, but I'm not sure how the audience will take all the plot twists.

2. Nick C.

Nick C. Second Unit

I'd be interested in seeing the film adaptation, but seeing how the Howard, Grazer, et al. folks are involved, I don't have particularly high expectations [​IMG]

Howard was on Charlie Rose in late November and indicated their firm, Imagine, had acquired the rights and would be producing it, but Howard wasn't set as director. I believe he said it would be an interesting project, but that he might not be the one to do it. Rose did ask about Crowe, and Howard didn't directly answer the question, just praising Crowe's great talent.

Surely with the Passion cashing in in such big fashion, the studios will be chasing after religious fare, so I'm thinking the movie will be greenlit easily

3. Pete-D

Pete-D Screenwriter

I've heard the "Beautiful Mind" team is in place for this film, meaning Howard directing with Akiva Goldsmith adapting the novel and Russel Crowe starring.

IMDB lists Howard as the director.

Certainly though, yeah, this film could earn a windfall of cash. I don't think its enough for a movie to be about religion though, it has to be compelling to watch as well, and the Da Vinci Code is a very fast moving mystery/thriller.

With the success of PotC, yeah certainly I think the suits at Columbia/Sony and Imagine are probably making this a higher priority project. The book is already a million seller.

Its also readily transferrable into a "franchise", something more apt for older viewers as well, since there really hasn't been any type of franchise for that crowd since the Tom Clancy series of Harrison Ford films.

4. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

I was very disappointed with the book. Very interesting ideas but it seemed like 90% of the book was exposition with very little actually happening during the 24 hours or so of story.

This will be extremely difficult to adapt due to the heavy reliance on expostion. On the positive side, it will be nice to get visual references for all of the "secrets" hidden in the referenced works of art.

Russell Crowe, or any actor of his caliber, would be wasted IMO. There is very little characterization or development of any of the characters.

I preferred the previous book, Angels & Demons, and think it would make a better movie.

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Taming the exposition is going to be the hardest thing, I agree. There isn't much in the way of character development (and no, Brown isn't going for that, so it isn't really a criticism), so that will not be hard to bring onscreen. And the fast-paced action segments are there. They just need to get a good screenwriter to translate onscreen what dialogue is necessary and cut out some of the really long diatribes...or get actors who are really good at delivering long diatribes. [​IMG]