What's new

The Da Vinci code (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
CJ - are you talking about the Da Vinci Code or the other Brown books we've been discussing in the last few posts? I think it's pretty much agreed upon that his first two aren't very good, and he started to find his stride in "Angels and Demons" (I'm halfway through it now).

But I think someone pointed out a lot of the weak points (writing wise) in A&D so he basically re-wrote it as The Da Vinci Code (same lead, different mythologies, similar plot & twists).

If you're going to read on Brown book, read The Da Vinci Code. It's not perfect, but his pacing is better and his action scenes are better.

Do not expect character development, as Brown is clearly not interested in that (and he's not the only popular author that can said of - read: Crichton).

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
just started reading this. it is just like crack. i'm totally digging it. the only thing that is forcing me to put it down is the fact that i gotta get my ass up in the morning. wait till thurs night...i'm gonna pull an all-nighter.

while i get that there is probably no way he's 100% accurate, i'm sure there's some semblance to fact. that alone intrigues me enough. heck, i'm gonna do a google on "phi" as soon as i get a chance.

i'm also an amateur art fan. i don't know squat about art, but i really enjoy looking at it. so, the book appeals to me on that level as well.

i can whole-heartedly recommend this ... i'll probably check out his other one when i'm done.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
For those that are interested in the historical accuracy of the book, the Teaching Company has offered a special set of lectures:

Fact and Fiction in the DaVinci code

I enjoyed the book, but it's been a little overhyped by now. I actually thought that Angels and Demons was better, but that might just be because most of the history in the DaVinci code was already familiar (go Gabriel Knight 3!).

I can definitely see parallels to John Grisham though, which means that there should be one or two more good books before they start getting tired...

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I just read DVC and absolutely loved it. I found the whole concept intriguing. I had a lot of fun trying to figure out the codes and puzzles (did figure out a few of them).

I'm looking foward to reading some of the other books mentioned in this thread as well as A&D.

BTW, check out http://www.randomhouse.com/doubleday...index-ctc.html for a fun puzzle from The Da Vinci Code.

And if you haven't already seen it, check out the movie Pi by Darren Aronofsky. Amoung other things, it deals with the Fibonacci sequence and the Golden Ratio aka PHI. Definitely a cool movie.

Keith M.

Second Unit
BTW, Sony Columbia Pictures has bought the rights to the book and plans on making a movie... Dont know if this has been previously mentioned or not.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Finally picked this book up and read it in a few days a couple weeks ago. As was said earlier, this book was very easy to read as Brown breaks it up into very short chapters. The actual book is over 400 pages but the short chapters and the dead space they add makes it a much shorter read.

Brown does draw some conclusions of his own on the whole Jesus/Mary Magdalene relationship and runs with it to make his story, but this is fiction of course. When I took an art history course some years back, the professor actually mentioned some of the theories that Brown used to descirbe the Jesus/Mary Magdalene relationship well before this book was released (or even written). Just goes to show there are and have always been interpretations of history/religion outside of the mainstream accepted viewpoint.

The topic that really interested me was the Knights Templar angle. I can't wait for his next book which is supposed to deal mainly with the Masons and their rituals/knowledge.

J

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
I'm a little disappointed that Tom Hanks was cast as Langdon. I would have preferred David Duchovany; he can deliver wordy dialogue, and be dynamic in a suit while maintaining intelligence.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Although I haven't read it yet, I did see a nifty, if slightly expensive, illustrated version of the book at my local Sam's Club. May have to put that edition on my Christmas list, as I've wanted to read this one for a while, but vainly tried waiting for the paperback.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
This is my own opinion of course, but I thought it was a spectacular book. It does misrepresent the material it references at times, but I certainly loved it. I saw that illustrated version, and it almost makes me want to double dip. I reccomend picking it up.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
No problem with Hanks. He's come a long way from his "Bosom Buddies" days ;). If he can win 2 statues, I'm sure he can manage the dialogue. And IIRC, most of the really wordy dialogue came from Teabing and other "sources" in the novel, Langdon was fairly down-to-earth despite being an academic.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
so am i. as good as hanks can be, sometimes i wish he was still the not-as-famous comedy actor from the burbs and the money pit.

i also liked the book very much, but i've never been a fan of ron howard's work, so i'm not expecting a great film.

CJ

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I've liked virtually everything Ron Howard has directed (hell, I even saw Grand Theft Auto and Eat My Dust as a kid!) except The Missing, so I think he'll do a decent job. As for Tom Hanks, I haven't read the book so I can't judge yet, but I like the guy.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
If you're already disappointed with Hanks, you're gonna HATE all the changes they're going to make to the story!

James T

Screenwriter
What do you mean? I heard the writers and Ron Howard say that they were keeping as faithful to the book as they can.

And Tom Hanks isn't my first choice as Langdon. He can look like a Harvard professor, but he doesn't look like action star type.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
No Lee Evans as Teabing = No Film!

Seriously though, Hanks wouldn't be my first choice.. however, he takes his roles seriously, and I'm interested to see him try his hand at a little action.

Besides, I think he owns Ron Howard. :D I'm guessing Hanks read the book and called Ron and said "Get the gear, Ron. We're doing a movie".

"Okay, Tom. Whatever you say"

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i think harrison ford would make a good langdon. he already had that nice action star / intellectual thing going for him. (isn't there already some thread on this...) i hope so. although the book is pretty detailed, it's all about discovering the clues -- which should be easy enough to convey on the screen. good thing it's not too character driven. ;)

hopefully it will do better then whatever that current nicolas cage film is doing. :D

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Michael Douglas excels at playing a man whose world just turned upside down and who's in over his head.

Ford would also work.

--
H

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ford would be awesome, but the minute Langdon does something action-y, I can just hear the Raiders fanfare playing in my head.

Oh no, Langdon's in trouble...use the whip!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks