The D-VHS Friendly Enthusiasts Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

This thread is for those who want to discuss the merit of D-VHS and the available D-VHS/D-Theater titles, as well as sharing tips on getting the most out of D-VHS deck w/r/t to recording/playback techniques (but I suspect most of the discussion will be on the titles and picture quality).

Do not even think about posting about the disadvantages of the tape format, most people understand these "shortcomings" and the supporters of D-VHS are aware of them, and have embraced the format in spite of them. Leave them alone.

Any thread-crapping done in this vein will have their posts removed, and members that persists in thread-crapping will have their posting privileges suspended/removed. This is your warning. Heed it.

Now carry on.

2. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Thanks Patrick!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'll kick off the thread with a *relevant* post carried over from the last thread:

quote:

3. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

Actually, films CAN look as sharp as television shows ("Everybody Loves Raymond"). In fact, I have films that look significantly better than the CBS example:

- A Time to Kill (BS)
    - Good Will Hunting (BS)
    - 61* (HBO)
    - Forest Gump (HBO)

Those are just a couple that stand out as having a fantastic picture. Razor sharp, good saturated colors, no visible compression artifacts, nicely detailed.

The BS notations are from Japanese OTA broadcasts, and while lower in compression (22Mbs vs. ATSC 19.8Mbs vs. D-Theater 28.8Mbs) compared to domestic broadcast, they look fantastic. *61 is a recent movie which just looks like it was shot with HDCAM even though it is shot with 35mm film.

So having to rely on live-action (HDCAM) or CG (Ice Age) for a jaw dropping picture is not a reality.

4. Michael St. Clair

Everybody Loves Raymond is shot on film.

5. Steve Bjorg

Steve Bjorg Stunt Coordinator

So - if I understand this discussion correctly - while mastering is important for DVD, it is even more critical for DVHS. Maybe we could whisper that into the ears of some reluctant studios. After all, it's better to learn and make mistakes in a niche market than in the broader consumer market.

6. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Steve,

That's exactly a point I made in another thread. D-VHS gives the studios a chance to "figure out" how to master in hi-def. Right now the titles I've seen so far (like Ice Age and Independence Day) look better than DVD, but don't look as good as projected 35 mm IMO (not as sharp or defined/natural looking). I've seen them output in 1080I to a digital projector that reconverts for 1280 x 720 so I'm sure that can have an effect too...but still...I'd expect better.

Hopefull the studios will learn to produce transfers and apply NO artifical ringing/edge enhancment (so far D-VHS titles have been pretty good in this regard...except T2) and also start to master in true 1080P without added vertical-filtering.

Let them practice and set a standard with D-VHS ... then HD-DVD can come along and pick up from there.

Certainly we saw how it took studios a while to figure out that the mastering practices that had been commonplace for LD weren't going to be good enough for DVD and finally *now* we're seeing DVDs being done right (in many cases, the 2nd or 3rd time around on the DVD format). D-VHS might help ensure that the first HD-DVD we get will do it right from the start.

Hopefully, HD-DVD will also add some nice things like 20x9 encoding for 2.35:1 films or true 1080P backwards-compatibility that will give the studios even more room to improve [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

-dave [​IMG]

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I truly do believe DaViD dreams about HD-DVD in his sleep! [​IMG]

8. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Such vivid and *visceral* dreams they are indeed...I'd get in trouble if I shared all the orgasmic details... [​IMG]

p.s. I keep my little HD-DVD manifesto tucked under the mattress for emergency inspiration. Hope the S.O. doesn't find it!

9. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

10. Christopher a

Christopher a Stunt Coordinator

11. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Since this, D-VHS, has & will be a 'numbers' game, does anyone have access to D-VHS hardware & software #'s?

Glad the 'Sun' came out, and created this "little" HD oasis.

Just think this one thread will continually get 'derailed'.
    Like my question, if one can find the D-VHS #'s in a mag like, Audio Video International.

However, my question is in response to "what incentive does Disney have at this stage?"

12. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Any rumors of "Moulin Rouge", gents??

[​IMG]

13. Christopher a

14. Christopher a

One question that I'd like to get some concrete facts on in terms on differences in PQ: Digital Video Essentials...720p or 1080i? I would like to preorder yet hear conflicting reports on which to buy. Maybe I shouldn't think so much and just choose one. They both should be great, right?

Chris

15. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

16. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

17. Mark_Mac

Mark_Mac Stunt Coordinator

WEll I dont have Toy Story recorded, it was shown on ABC in HD though. I do have Shrek and I think it is one of the cleanest presentations on HBOHD, Final Fantasy was also pretty impressive. I took a few screen shots of Shrek and put them on the web. I wish I could put the original screen captures up, they look so clean but their about 6 meg a piece. Heres the link to the pics....the last one.. cracks me up[​IMG]
    http://www.geocities.com/sircash13/shrek.html

18. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I'm a friendly enthusiast for D-VHS, now if I can only get the funding[​IMG] . Please send your donations to Jerome Grate.... [​IMG]. As soon as we're done with our sons surgery, and everything is stable, that's one of the three upgrades that I will like to do. I think the last D-VHS price I saw was about 600.00, that's somewhat affordable. Maybe a section on D-VHS is due on this forum. The greatest forum on the web Home Theater Forum

19. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

20. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

Toy Story on ABC was not a true HD presentation, but an upconvert of the DVD master. Only a "Bugs Life" was true HD on ABC (CG animated shows).

I'm surprised that (David) you didn't think Ice Age looked great. I found it to be a superb picture both on my D-ILA (w/anamorphic lens) and a CRT set.