The curse of the Madden cover

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Schmitt, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Aaron Schmitt

Aaron Schmitt Stunt Coordinator

We all know about the curse of the SI cover, but it struck me recently that the team of the player featured on the cover of the last 3 Madden games has not faired too well that season, or the seasons thereafter. The only possible exception is the Titans who did make the playoffs the year Eddie George was on the cover (Madden 2001, the 2000 season), but they haven't been good since. Last year it was Daunte Culpepper, and look what the Vikings did. This year it's Marshall Faulk on the cover, and the Rams have fallen apart. Coincidence? Maybe, I just know that if I was the head of a team in the NFL, I wouldn't want any of my players on the cover of Madden next year.

Can anyone think of any similar "curses" for sports?

Aaron

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Being from Philadelphia, a great curse since the silly fanboys keep betting me 10-1 that they'll win it all

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

4. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I am not sure if this is a curse of not but you can safely bet Marty Schottenheimer will lose 95% of his games in Denver and probably 70% to Denver altogether. Weird, but then he will beat the Raiders about 90% of the time.
    Also the Chunky soup is starting to pick up steam. Some quick examples:
    Terrell Davis: Career ending injury
    Kurt Warner: Injury this year and playoff loss last year
    Neil Smith : Injury and Cut from team, forced to retire.
    Reggie White : Gives racist speech; Image is tarnished before retirement.
    Donovan McNabb : Nothing yet but watch out!!!
    And then of course there are the Cubs and the entire city of Cleveland. [​IMG]

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

The Packers never won a Superbowl after Lombardi left... that was, until, Brett Favre threw up blood on the field at Lambeau... that seemed to be the turning point when the curse was lifted.

My brother and I still joke about that.

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

7. Mike_Stuewe

Mike_Stuewe Stunt Coordinator

Hey Jed don't you be rippin my town Cleveland. Sure we havnt won a title in anything singce 1965, other than some stupid Soccer league. Sure the Browns have been through some crap, with the highlight being THE DRIVE, up until now with THE HELMET. But hey, we are gonna turn things around. All of a sudden city is gonna get things going and we are gonna rattle off championship after championship. Its gonna happen. Just look out. Indians, Browns, and Cavaliers are 3 names you should get used to hearing come playoff time. Heck the Indians have already seen the promised land, its just a matter of time before they own it.

Stu

8. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Mike, No offense intended, my family is originally from Cleveland. I have spent many summers there. I feel your pain. The only thing that made baseball interesting for me after the strike was the Indians.

We then moved to KC and I had Marty all over again and Elway all over again, talk about fate. I guess I should kind of apologize for the helmet thing though, because I was rooting for KC that day. Either way, Go Browns and OSU!!!

9. Stephanie T.

Stephanie T. Stunt Coordinator

The '72 Dolphins' exclusive lock on "perfection"?