The curse of the John Grisham DVDs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DarrenA, Feb 14, 2002.

1. DarrenA

DarrenA Second Unit

OK, so it's not really a curse, but I wanted to go ahead and purchase the John Grisham movies on DVD, and while they are all actually available, four out of the seven have quirks that really make them rather unattractive.
    The Pelican Brief and A Time to Kill are both still being sold as "flippers" since they were produced back in the early days of DVD before dual layer became prevalent. I hope Warner Bros. will think about releasing these in dual layer format (can't be that hard).
    The Rainmaker and The Gingerbread Man are both non-anamorphic DVDs. Again, these are screaming for re-releases with some new anamorphic transfers.
    So that leaves The Firm, The Client and The Chamber as the three DVDs that got it right. No flippers and for the most part, nice looking anamorphic transfers.
    It would be nice to see the two Warner Bros. DVDs redone in dual layer right away. I know these two movies actually look and sound rather nice already, but this is DVD and not laserdisc and I don't want to stop the movie, turn the lights on, flip over the disc and start the second half of the movie. The other two DVDs need some new anamorphic transfers and the Grisham movies on DVD would be complete.

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Actually, I own all of those except for Gingerbread Man and The Chamber, both of which I just haven't found in stores (I'm sure I'll have to break down and order them online).
    Contrary to popular belief, I'm not a fan of Grisham movies because I live in Memphis (although sometimes he's all anyone talks about around here besides Elvis! [​IMG] ). No, I always have liked law dramas, probably because I wanted to be a lawyer once upon a time. [​IMG]
    I tend to agree with your assessment of the movies I own on DVD. Non-flippers would make the first two perfect, even if there weren't much added for extras. But a nice SE of Pelican Brief would be stunning! [​IMG]

3. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

The Firm is the only one I have.

What a good movie. Even knowing how it all unfolds, I can still pop this in any time for a fun couple of hours........

4. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

I agree about The Rainmaker. That transfer is awful. I mean REALLY awful.
    I can understand that certain early discs were flippers because RSDL technology had not been perfected yet. I can even understand why some titles were originally non-anamorphic. However, even a non-anamophic flipper can still have a decent picture. Stevie Wonder could've done a better job supervising the video transfer of The Rainmaker.