What's new

The Curse Of The Cat People coming from Scream Factory (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Noach Kowalski
https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-curse-of-the-cat-people?product_id=6745

COTCP.BR.Cover.72dpi.png

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Wha....? Warner Bros. is now licensing to Shout!? Will this perhaps open the floodgates for other Val Lewton classics? I know that CURSE already had an HD master, but the others could take much more work. Love to see THE BODY SNATCHER and I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE, at least.

Sorry to be greedy. Thanks to everyone involved with this release.

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Shout already announced Of Unknown Orgin and The Its Alive Trilogy from Warner Brothers last month. So yes they have a deal apparently for some genre films. Rumor has it they will be releasing a couple of warners hammer films later this year and I would expect to see more Val Lewton. Too bad they couldn't do double features on the Lewton features as Shouts prices are usually a few dollars higher than WAC's.

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Yes the gloves are off and WB is releasing through shout / scream I guess this year I can watch Night of the lepus in HD

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Rumor has it they will be releasing a couple of warners hammer films later this year and I would expect to see more Val Lewton.

I am curious as to what Hammer titles they will be releasing, more so because i would have thought that a Vol 2 was forthcoming from WB, still missing Horror of Dracula, and Curse of Frankenstein, Dracula 72 AD,

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
This is good news. I hope more genre films from Warners will be on the horizon.
Some blu ray suggestions that might fit Shout/Scream's mission:

The other Val Lewton horror films.
BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS
DOCTOR X and MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM
Five MGM films from the 30s: FREAKS, MAD LOVE, THE DEVIL-DOLL, MARK OF THE VAMPIRE, THE FACE OF FU MANCHU

and the 50s and beyond are almost unlimited.

I only hope that Warners can provide Shout with masters that are up to their in-house quality. I would hate to see Shout going the Kino Lorber route that just push out old and/or non-restored masters.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I am curious as to what Hammer titles they will be releasing, more so because i would have thought that a Vol 2 was forthcoming from WB, still missing Horror of Dracula, and Curse of Frankenstein, Dracula 72 AD,
Any Hammer coming from Warner, which there more than likely will be would be through Warner Archive like When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth. WAC only does single titles on blu ray so I think the volume 2 idea was dropped over a year ago.
No details on which titles yet. Supposed to be 2-3.
The titles Warners has that have not been released in the US on Blu Yet are: Horror of Dracula, Curse of Frankenstein, Dracula 72 A.D., The Satanic Rites of Dracula, Crescendo, She, Hysteria and Moon Zero Two.
My guess is its either the 2 later Dracula's or Horror and Curse and maybe Moon Zero Two. I could see WAC releasing She on Blu.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Satanic Rites of Dracula, is in PD, so i don't know if WB is willing to give it a proper release, even though there already is a release of the PD print from a very reputable source

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Satanic Rites of Dracula, is in PD, so i don't know if WB is willing to give it a proper release, even though there already is a release of the PD print from a very reputable source
Warner made the reputable source cease production on it but allowed them to complete their preorders. Warner purchased back the rights to it around January of 2016. So it is no longer a PD film and belongs to Warner. It was thought to be part of volume 2 in 2016 when that was still a possibility. It will be coming either from Shout or WAC probably the same time as Dracula AD 72.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Warner made the reputable source cease production on it but allowed them to complete their preorders. Warner purchased back the rights to it around January of 2016. So it is no longer a PD film and belongs to Warner. It was thought to be part of volume 2 in 2016 when that was still a possibility. It will be coming either from Shout or WAC probably the same time as Dracula AD 72.

My understanding was that, once the film fell into PD, it stayed there, period. How was a company able to "buy back" the rights? Wouldn't that render PD completely meaningless (which it should be anyway, in my opinion)?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
My understanding was that, once the film fell into PD, it stayed there, period. How was a company able to "buy back" the rights? Wouldn't that render PD completely meaningless (which it should be anyway, in my opinion)?

I think it's more a case of many things that are presumed to be in public domain in fact aren't, and the rights holders are re-asserting their claims.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I would assume whatever films Warner Bros is leasing to Shout have already been decided but are not yet announced. I don't think making suggestions to Shout about which films they should release is going to change anything. Always good to see older films finally getting released.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
No it just means the studio that owned the rights didn't renew them or allowed them to lapse. Usually since a pd film becomes oversaturated in the market the studio never bothers renewing it. But in the case of this film warner did in 2016. They confirmed it several times when asked on Facebook last year and in 2016. This was also reported over a year ago on horror sites like dvddrivein.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I think it's more a case of many things that are presumed to be in public domain in fact aren't, and the rights holders are re-asserting their claims.
This could also be the case here but I believe it was stated that they renewed their rights claims

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I would assume whatever films Warner Bros is leasing to Shout have already been decided but are not yet announced. I don't think making suggestions to Shout about which films they should release is going to change anything.

Your assumption might be accurate, or might not be. We at HTF reflexively like to add our suggestions when we hear of such an acquisition as Shout! apparently has with Warner Bros. It is the film collector in us, trying to fill in major gaps in our Blu-ray collections while we are able, since this is hard to do from inside a box six feet under. ;)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Yes its not like an announcement is published that states the following films are no longer covered by copyright protection. Independant companies decide for themselves if a film has fallen into public domain . If no one objects after the fact the company continues to sell the movie. Other independant companies see this and release their own version of the film. If the rightful owner decides to spend money to protect it's assets they can get the PD copies removed. Of course some films do fall into public domain mostly due to the failure to renew the copyright after the first 28 years under the old copyright law. There are ways around this such as if the movie is based on a book that is still protected or if the music in the film is protected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks