What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Before entering the horror film fray, Hammer Films had been known for their work in the film noir genre as well as what was referred to as “quota quickies” in the UK. However, the success of The Quatermass Xperiment (1955) started to change the fortunes of the studio, which had been reeling under financial strain; after a couple of excursions into sci-fi, the studio made its presence in the horror genre known with The Curse of Frankenstein. Long available on DVD here in the US, Warner Bros. has finally given the movie its Blu-ray debut here as part of the Warner Archive Collection.

The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)

Released: 25 Jun 1957
Rated: Approved
Runtime: 82 min

Director: Terence Fisher
Genre: Horror, Sci-Fi, Thriller

Cast: Peter Cushing, Hazel Court, Robert Urquhart, Christopher Lee
Writer(s): Jimmy Sangster (screenplay), Mary...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Great review - I agree with your evaluation regarding the transfer and presentation.

(note: Cushing played the Baron five more times)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
The inherent softness is not limited to the titles and opticals (please call them what they are - they're not "transitions)) - the entire image in long shots and medium shots is slightly soft. It's fascinating to me how many people don't mention that at all. Mr. Harris did, of course - it's not terrible or anything, but I'm not sure how people aren't seeing it.

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
OK, I've updated my review to incorporate the changes.

You always learn something new when you're reviewing movies and going over the history of film and it's a never ending process, which - of course - is perfectly fine.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The inherent softness is not limited to the titles and opticals (please call them what they are - they're not "transitions)) - the entire image in long shots and medium shots is slightly soft. It's fascinating to me how many people don't mention that at all. Mr. Harris did, of course - it's not terrible or anything, but I'm not sure how people aren't seeing it.
Kodak replaced their 5216 sep stock at some point in 1956 with the long-running 5235 . One might wonder if Humphries had some left over, and used it for Curse. The masters are just slightly soft overall. Scanning and recombine appears nicely performed by MPI.

Stock changes are an interesting thing. Normally, a camera dept has Kodak set enough stock of the same emulsion batch aside to cover an entire shoot with extras. But occasionally, a film is shot with a different stock entirely. Mad World, for example was mostly photographed on 5250, but also a bit of 51 mixed in.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, I've updated my review to incorporate the changes.

You always learn something new when you're reviewing movies and going over the history of film and it's a never ending process, which - of course - is perfectly fine.

Excellent; btw George Feltenstein has confirmed that the premieres both sides of the pond were presented at 1.85:1.

TallPaulInKy

Agent
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
Kodak replaced their 5216 sep stock at some point in 1956 with the long-running 5235 . One might wonder if Humphries had some left over, and used it for Curse.

It's very possible after all this was an extremely low budget production, and Hammer spent about the same or maybe a little more than they spent on their black and whites. If they could get some low cost film stock, they probably would. After all this started out as a black and white project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaikikiJason
Recent bookmarks