What's new

The current status on Man Bites Dog Coming To DVD!? (1 Viewer)

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
I need one now. I heard some word on Criterion getting their act together saying that they might release Man Bites Dog at some later time.
Where's my LD version you say? Well, it melted. Seems when I stored the LD's I originally had, It was moved and stored directly on one of the heating sources in my house(i'm in college now). Well, The Ld's and the palstic storage container the held them couldn't take the heat over a long period of time and slowly melted. So, I'm stuck with the loss of 6 precious LD's I hoped would be safe down there.
The Casualties:
**Man Bites Dog-Criterion: Can't Replace
**The Killer-Criterion: Can Replace, but I'm not paying #$%king $300 for a Criterion DVD copy
**Apocalypse Now: Had the nice aspect ratio the other versions of it dont have.
**Blade Runner -Criterion: It needed replacing, the "happy" version wasn't that good anyway. But it's still precious
**Adams Rib-Criterion: God Damn, What a great movie
**Bad Day At Black Rock-Criterion- Man, I nearly went to tears over that one.
The only survivor was The Adventures Of Robin Hood Criterion Collection.
Sigh
frown.gif
angry.gif
furious.gif

------------------
1082951-movie-resized180.jpg

Kitano fans need Sonatine on DVD.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'd probably get this on DVD, but the thought makes me feel a bit unclean. I mean, that rape scene is tough to stomach. Truly a disturbing film. It may even be a good film.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Don't worry! Criterion will be releasing Man Bites Dog sometime in the future - they confirmed this a few weeks ago in a chat right there at HTF!

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
My condolences, John. Those are some big losses. I believe that the Blade Runner special edition is in the works (by the way, I prefer the narrated version :) ).
I'm hoping that Criterion will acquire the rights to Man Bites Dog. The LD was outstanding. I've only ever rented it though.
The rape scene is brutal and sticks with you, but it is a great film. Truly dark and disturbing as Jack mentioned.
------------------

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Most of those could be replaced on Ebay. It shocks me how little some of those discs go for! It is, however, a very sad loss.
Bad Day at Black Rock is a disc I've wanted to own for years!
[Edited last by Jon Robertson on November 17, 2001 at 02:08 PM]

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'd jump at the chance to get Man Bites Dog on DVD. I think it's a brilliant (albeit very nasty) movie.
------------------
Scott Weinberg
------------------
ofcsminilogo2.gif

[Edited last by Scott Weinberg on November 17, 2001 at 02:41 PM]

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
Well, Jack. When I first saw the movie(X Rated version). I almost walked out of it. Mostly because of the rape but, it shows something. First, it's to wake up any viewer who has been either laughing at the movie of surviving it well(me).Second, it was to show the transition of the film crew of the guy's killing from witnesses to accomplices to murderers themselves.
------------------
1082951-movie-resized180.jpg

Kitano fans need Sonatine on DVD.

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
John, you dont see the point. I lost very good movies, that were expensive when they first came out. I should'nt have to buy them again.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
That was the most chilling aspect about watching this film: several men in the audience were laughing throughout the rape scene. When the scene cut to the aftermath, with the bloodied corpses, I felt numb.
I consider this an important film for at least two reasons: what is says about us, and how it stretches the limits of the appropriately cinematic (and comedic).
Again, I would purchase this on DVD.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

[Edited last by Jack Briggs on November 17, 2001 at 04:06 PM]

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I was very glad to hear in the chat with Criterion that they will be releasing this on DVD. I have almost purchased the laserdisc quite a few times. :)
Gregory

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
The video quality of this French R2 DVD is average at best with some very noticeable compression artefacts... It is however the only acceptable DVD released... The Criterion might be worth the wait...

Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks