What's new

The Cult of Rez (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I thought he'd like the news. I believe he's in the mdidle of moving at the mo' though.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I believe he's in the mdidle of moving at the mo' though.
Yeah, havent had a chance to speak to him recently. I've been away the past few days, in fact I just got back from my second honeymoon so I'm playing catch up;).
Anywho on the subject of Rez, I wonder if there is any possibility of a sequel. With its failure sales wise I don't think Sega would be willing to take another chance but it would make me almost as excited as seeing the first screenshots of Panzer Orta:D.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I believe he's in the mdidle of moving at the mo' though.
Yes I am in the middling of moving. Today is my first day back at my real job. I have my cable modem hooked up at my house, but my desk hasn't been put back together and my PC is getting a new Lian Li body. I hope by the end of the weekend I will be back in full force!

Bring on the fucking Space Channel 5 Part 2 in English!

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Subtitles in Space Channel 5 just wouldn't work if you ask me.

I have a copy of the DC import and my wife refuses to play it, why.............because she can't understand what the hell they are saying.

FahnonB

Grip
Does anyone know where I can get a copy of Rez? I tried some local stores and no luck. Forget about trying to find it on the net through the usual channels. Any help would be appreciated!

Fahnon

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
A little OT here, but would you guys suggest the game Frequency or it's upcoming sequel Amplitude for a Rez fan? They both look like the same general concept, if a little "poppier". BTW try playing Rez on a PJ with 120" screen with a good sound system. Now, where'd I put those mushrooms... ;)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
They both look like the same general concept
They're completely different. They may look similiar, but the mechanics are nothing like each other in action. Frequency/Amplitude are most definitely "rythym" games ala DDR, Samba, just with a different interface. I'm not knocking them - Frequency is superb fun, they're just different games. I've had semantic arguments with Morgan over Rez == Frequency before...

I thoroughly reccomend picking Frequency up as it's great fun - haven't played Amplitude. Just don't expect a shooter like Rez.

ChrisV

Second Unit
Yep, Brian's right, completely different. That being said I always lump them together as they're a couple of my favorite games, both fun to just pick up and play and both music-based. You certainly can't go wrong picking up Frequency as I've seen it around here for less than ten bucks Canadian.

EdR

Second Unit
I agree wholeheartedly with BrianB, very different games.
Frequency stresses pattern matching - where you try to build up a song from individual tracks by pressing buttons in time. If you aren't in time, you can't progress in the game, so the pattern matching is primary.
In Rez, sounds are generated by events in the game like firing a shot and hitting an enemy. Shooting different enemies generates different sounds (although most of them are percussive-like). But the game fits the sounds into the music for you, it quantizes all the sound events so they fit with the rhythm automatically.
As someone who makes music on a computer using a sequencer, I find Frequency to be a tad boring...and too constrained. However, I do think it's a great way to familiarize yourself with song construction, because the technique of pattern matching isn't that far from what you might do if you wanted to make a track from pre-existing loops. Which in turn isn't far from what you'd do if you created your own loops and then sequenced them.
I'm hoping that Amplitude will open up and let you select from a library of loops (ideally it would let you create your own, but that might be expecting too much from a console game).
P.S. Jesse, I know what you mean. I'm 'only' on an 80" FP screen, Rez seems very suited to huge-ass-screen gaming. ;)

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
Ok, so I read all this stuff about Rez, and I can't find any copies in my area... Used or new... Is it worth picking up a new, sealed copy for ~60$ USD off of Ebay?

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
Is Rez really that rare? I saw a few new copies at Toys r Us recently, for $20. I think it's a great game, but I'd hold off on a $60 eBay auction. Hell, I'll check at TrU for you this weekend.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
Chris, unfortunately, while they did have one copy of Rez left, it was still $49.99 and had only been misplaced in the bargain bin. Sorry 'bout that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks