What's new

The Cult of Rez (1 Viewer)

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
I found a used copy of Rez at ElBo for only 10 dollars, so I figured that, based on comments here on the Forum, I'd give it a shot. Now I must say that I hate all of you who convinced me to buy this game. My fiancee isn't too happy either. We've spent two days with this game, and we can't seem to stop. Thanks a lot. Some friends you are! :p)

The Cult of Rez has grown by two.

This game is just so much fun. One of our favorite games on the PS1 was N2O, and this is even better. Somehow my hands start to get numb from the beat, but I still find will to keep playing. One of the best PS2 games I've played so far, and an absolute steal at $10.

John Royster

Screenwriter
And now you know...:)
My copy of N20 is laying around somewhere. Never did beat it, but got many a sore thumb from it.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
AH...welcome to the initiated. You too will now have the love affair with Rez. She is a tricky mistress. She sounds so good and she gives you a tingly feeling when you beat your own level scores (Especially if you have the trance mouse:)). Yes tricksey she is. She is however so so very good at what she does:).
EDIT: For those not in the know, we had a thread a long while ago where myself, BrianB, and a few others battled for rights to her (Rez's) love. No winner was declared then but...oh hell screw that I win she's mine!

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator
I love N20, and the Crystal Method sound track fits perfectly.

I've been looking to pick up Rez too, and would definately buy it for $10. What is ElBo? Is that a website? Any links would be appreciated...

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Sorry, ElBo is what we call Electronics Boutique around here. Figured it came from the net somewhere. That's what I get for trying to be savvy. :)

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Mmm. Rez.

I just realized that I never finished that last level. That last, beautiful, mind-boggling level.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
Rez is a fantastic game! I've "beaten" the game, but only unlocked the lost level. What else is there when you reach 100%, beat the lost level, etc.? Is the original Dreamcast import version worth getting if you already have the PS2 title?

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator
When you beat the Lost Level/5/Fear (love that tune) you get travelling mode, I think, which is just a Free Play mode.

As far as I know the DC & PS2 versions are the same. The DC version supported the Jump Pack. The PS2 version, in Japan at least, had the "transvibrator" doohickey that you could put in your pocket (or wherever you like).

Oh, and the DC version, if you have the save on the same VMU as your Space Channel 5 Part 2 save, will unlock a Wireframe costume for Ulala.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Lady Rez is a harsh mistress - I have yet to conquer Direct assault ending in Final Form, so I can get the 'good' ending.
On a vaguely related note, I only heard the other day about Tomato Four - the forthcoming title from the design collective that Underworld belong to. Needless to say, I'll be getting this one!

EdR

Second Unit
I too love Rez, but I do wish that the levels were more randomized, both in terms of the scenery and the enemies. But, it's hard to complain in the face of such amazing visual and aural treats!

BTW, are there any other trance-people here? I'm not talking the fluffy-melodic stuff, but rather the dark abstract stuff ala the Joujouka track in Rez.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
BTW, are there any other trance-people here?
BIG VNVnation fan here, along with Assemblage 23 and a couple other groups. Though these may be considered more Goth/EBM, but hey if it sounds good to hell with the categories.:)
Not as into music in general like I used to be but I'm always open for anything new. A recent album thats been getting some play time for me is the self titled Sigur Ros (Some may remember them from the Vanilla Sky soundtrack). Good stuff.

EdR

Second Unit
I've been into psytrance for about 5-6 years now, I was surprised to see a Joujouka track in Rez -- they aren't very well-known, but they are Japanese, so it makes sense.

Benjamin_L

Stunt Coordinator
Ressurecting this old thread to make a vital announcement:
I love this game. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :D
It all started when scouring old reviews at the now deceased Gaming Intelligence Agency (R.I.P.)... the reviewer was going off about this unreally captivating game called Rez... or "The Kandinsky Project" as it was referred to in development... that makes it smart, right? :wink:
Scored it off ebay earlier in the week for the price of a new console game... it arrived yesterday, and though I haven't finished it yet, but I would not hesitate to say it was worth every last penny. Both for the game... and the PS2 I had to pick up to play the darn thing. :D
Could anyone whose more "in-the-know" inform me as to whether the designers of this game still at SEGA? Wasn't sure if there was a direct lineage between this game and Panzer Dragoon Orta, and whether we can expect any such rail shooters in the future.
Adios, brothers, and preach on. :D

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Could anyone whose more "in-the-know" inform me as to whether the designers of this game still at SEGA?
The team behind REZ is the team behind the Space Channel 5 games, and yes, they're still at Sega. They have a couple of projects due to be announced soon, I believe.

Also, allegedly Agetec have picked up Space Channel 5 part 2 on the PS2 for a US release, at long last...

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
BIG VNVnation fan here, along with Assemblage 23 and a couple other groups. Though these may be considered more Goth/EBM
Whoah, Romier, I had no idea! :) I'm still trying to hunt down a copy of VNV's 'burning empires' EP. The 'ebm' genre is what i was hoping to see more of in 'Amplitude,' but oh well.
And just so I don't get chastised for being too OT, the Dreamcast and PS2 versions of Rez are not too dissimilar. I've played both pretty extensively, and the DC graphics at least 'appear' a little more solid and smooth, but the framerate seems to suffer a bit. The pro logic imaging in the Dreamcast version is (as far as I can tell) a bit more expansive.
And the PS2 version has at least one reference to space channel 5 (those who've unlocked it know what I mean!)
This is a game I never get sick of. Welcome to the cult, John!
~joseph

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks