The CS vs. PC SVS choice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnnyHK, Mar 6, 2002.

1. JohnnyHK

JohnnyHK Stunt Coordinator

For those of you wrestling with the decision, here's another factor that I only noticed after living with my 20-39CS+ for a couple of days. It seems silly, but the 3 LEDs on the Samson amp that give an indication of the signal level going to the sub is a really satisfying feature that I would miss on a PC model. It also makes it very easy to see if your amp is ever clipping.

2. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Johnny,

That's a good point, never really thought of that. Some folks HATE to have etraneous lights in their HT, others like the extra feedback it provides.

Just another example of how varied the customer is for just subwoofers. We've had folks actually put a strip of back tape over those lights believe it or not. I once put a small dot of black paint over a "message waiting light" on my DSS receiver that was not only REALLY bright, it blinked incessantly too (like I have time to clear messages in a DSS "notice" que?).

Thanks for the feedback, the PC and CS question is one that SVS customers will always have to grapple with (choice is a GOOD thing). The more information like this the better.

Ron

3. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

What about the phase shift in the back? It switches from 0 to 180 now in the PCi line? Is this no longer considered an important or as important feature? Is the switch adequate?

4. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Adil,

The switch is nearly always adequate for getting your sub to work well with the rest of your system.

Where more fine phase adjustment can be helpful is when you are running dual PC subs. Even then it will only be useful if you are not running the subs next to each other. If you put two subs in different locations, then SOMETIMES adjustable phase can really help minimize cancellation. We will soon debut a box that offers this feature for twin CS/CS-Plus and CS-Ultra and SS owners.

We so rarely sell dual PC subwoofers that a 0/180 deg. phase switched seemed to be an acceptable compromise, and a very minor one at that.

Ron

5. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Thanks Ron,
    That took all of five minutes.[​IMG]