What's new

The Crying Game on DVD... (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

John J Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
Oooh, that looks good! I already have the bare-bones anamorphic MGM R2, but I might have to get the R1 CE :)
Surprising how well this film did in the US compared to the UK. Those Weinstein brothers know a thing or two about marketing :)
A.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Just glad to see this film being redone on DVD with kind of treatment it deserves.
:)
Mark

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I have no information except that it would be anamorphic and IIRC dts, but I pre-ordered it anyway some time ago, on the theory that it just *can't* be worse than the last R1 release.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Wow, its almost out. Has anyone seen a review for the new set?
I received mine today from DeepDiscountDVD. I only watched the first 45 minutes, but it's a solid transfer considering the film's low budget. There is some noticable print damage at the 11:16 mark(unless I have a defective disc which is doubtful), but otherwise it's the best I've seen the movie look since I saw it on the big screen 12 years ago(damn, has it been that long?!).

The DTS track is impressive as well. Again, it's a low budget movie, so it's not exactly demo material, but it's got some nice surround effects. I didn't get a chance to compare the DD track.

As far as the extras, the only thing I've watched so far is the alternate ending. I won't spoil it, but let me just say that it only reinforces the image of studio execs as complete morons. Neil Jordan pretty much trashes it in his commentary.

Overall, it's a nice little special edition considering it cost me 10 bucks and change. About the only thing missing is the trailer and the Boy George music video. I'm guessing those were left off due to rights issues.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
This film streets today, and I'm suprised there have not been any reviews of the title. I will pick it up regardless, seeing as how it was one of the best films of the 90s.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I've only had a chance to view selected scenes, but I liked what I saw. Then again, the former release was such a disaster that almost anything would look good by comparison. Looking forward to finally retiring my LD.

Jordan's commentary on the "alternate" ending (which ranks right down there with the "Love Conquers All" version of Brazil) is priceless.

M.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I requested a copy of the disc but it hasn't arrived yet. A title like this usually gets sent out a few weeks after the release date (if at all). If they send me a copy I'll get the review up ASAP.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I picked this up today, almost forgetting it came out today amid all the Oscar buzz and the wave of newer titles getting priority.

The only thing that bothers me though is that I picked it up, but in the process of removing the annoying stickers on the slip cover, I accidently ripped part of the cover art. It did not relly make a noticeable tear, because what is revealed when it pealed off is similar to what appears on the slip cover in the form of the smoke and Miranda Ricahrdson's face (those of you with the DVD will know what I'm talking about), but it still took off the cover art where the letter "G" was at. Maybe not a big deal to some, but it still kinda irks me.

Does anyone have an extra slip cover by chance, or know where I can get one? I'd appreciate it.

Either way, a pretty solid set from the looks of it.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
There is some noticable print damage at the 11:16 mark
If you're referring to the small blue dots that flicker across Forrest Whittaker, then I'd disagree that it's noticeable. I had to slo-mo the disc to pick it up. Then, when I knew what to look for, I could see it at normal speed, but only if I was staring at that part of the screen. I'd call it a minor blemish. (Now, if you saw something else, then I guess it's possible your disc has a defect.)
Having now watched the entire film, I'm delighted with the transfer and mastering. With every other home video version to date, you had to work hard to ignore the aliasing, moire and general grunge that marred so many scenes. Now it looks even better than when I saw it in the theater (the release prints were very grainy).
A couple of obvious examples: In the scene where Dil visits Jimmy at the construction site, her jacket was previously a shimmering rainbow, but in this version it's covered with chrome studs, as it should be. In the striking shot where Maguire meets Jude at South Kensingon Station, you're no longer distracted by shimmering bricks and blinds; you just see Jude, conspicuously alone in a very wide frame.
The film holds up beautifully. With the various marketing gimmicks now receding into history, what stands out for me is the economical performance by Stephen Rea; you learn almost nothing about his character's history, and yet somehow you feel you know him well.
I had to laugh at the comments by the former IRA member included in the extras. His observations about the various "mistakes" in the depiction of an IRA operation sounded like something I'd read at HTF. ("None of 'em wear gloves! They're leaving fingerprints! What about masks?"). :)
The omission of the film's trailer is odd, considering that it was included on the previous disc released by Artisan (now owned by Lion's Gate).
M.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
If you're referring to the small blue dots that flicker across Forrest Whittaker, then I'd disagree that it's noticeable. I had to slo-mo the disc to pick it up. Then, when I knew what to look for, I could see it at normal speed, but only if I was staring at that part of the screen. I'd call it a minor blemish. (Now, if you saw something else, then I guess it's possible your disc has a defect.)
Yep, the blue dots are what I was referring to. I'm surprised you didn't notice them right away. It was glaring the first time I saw it. But at least it's good to know it's not a defective disc.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm surprised you didn't notice them right away.
It probably depends on what part of the frame you're focusing on for that second. The dots go by pretty quick. And I'm sure I was distracted (so to speak) by everything that's now so clear, as compared to previous video versions.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks