What's new

The Crying Game on DVD... (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Who now owns the rights to this movie? I'm asking because I'm hoping one day this film will get the special edition treatment it deserves (let's not talk about the AWFUL Live DVD release a few years ago!).

John Koehler

Stunt Coordinator
Add me to the list looking for an SE. An important film, with incredible performances, especially Jaye Davidson's. The DVD issued is inadequate, and visually noisy.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Anyone with me starting a thread in the studio feedback forum for Artisan to reissue this on DVD with a new transfer?

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Amazingly, Jaye kept his promise to get out of acting: This and STARGATE are Jayes only real films; He also appeared in 2 minor documentries, the last in 1995.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Thanks for bringing this film up. Watched it at the theater in Minneapolis - really seemed to be a watershed moment for arthouse flicks in the Twin Cities. I remember lines going around the block for this one.

Now that you've got me remembering this, I'll keep my eye out on the horizon for a strong issue of this movie. Helluva acting cast on this one, Steven Rhea (sp?) being my favorite.

Dustin Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
I just received a copy of The Crying Game this weekend and it has to be one of the worst transfer in my collection.
The problem I'm experiencing is when I watch it in widescreen (an option in the Root menu)the video jumps up and down (vertically) like when you have to adjust the tracking on a VCR (sorry I don't know the technical name for this problem). It's not very bad, but enough to be annoying.
I've played the movie on two different DVD players, an Apex AD-1110 and a Pioneer DV-563a. The Apex actually did a better job of keeping the picture stable (I'm not surprised, Apex players are way under rated. but that a different issue)
The full screen option seems to play okay and even has a better picture quality.
One last comment, both DVD players do not vertically stretch the picture to accommodate for my 16:9 TV. Like when you watch deleted scenes or out-takes. I have to manually stretch them using the stretched aspect mode on my TV menu. The Crying Game isn't the only movie like this in my collection. Anyone care to explain why this happens? Is it because it's a non-anamorphic transfer?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I've had this disc on order for more than a year (actually, almost 2) at a few places. It is quite hard to get at retail, needless to say. It is being "reissued" on March 30, and I have that on pre-order too, may finally get it, though I'm guessing this may just be a price reduction since it's pretty cheap. It seems odd to have a price reduction on a disc that is virtually unavailable new, but that's probably all it is, though I'm *hoping* it might be anamorphic... If it was I suppose we'd have heard about it from somebody.

Dustin Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
I've had this disk on order for more than a year
Wow, you don't say. It only took me a week to get mine at http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com
I'm starting to wonder about these guys though. I've ordered over 40 DVD's from them without any problems except on my last order they sent me a full screen movie instead of widescreen. I've emailed them a few days ago about it and have yet to hear back from them.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Maybe they made a new batch in anticipation of the price reduction? I once had the disc on order at DDDVD, but cancelled after a few months, like I did at each successive place...I have no doubt I'll get it eventually, probably the day before the new anamorphic SE is announced...:D

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Mine doesn't do that, but it does have a naked dude in it!
LOL...that reminds me of the song that Billy Crystal sang at the opening of the Academy Awards during the year that The Crying Game was nominated for Best Pictures: "Those legs...those thighs...SURPRISE! It's the Crying Game!"

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I had this disc at one time and gave it away. The transfer was absolutely terrible, with compression artifacts everywhere. I sure hope the upcoming reissue includes a new anamorphic transfer.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I finally got this disc yesterday (see previous posts here!) and what a BIG disappointment. This is the biggest unacceptable POS transfer I've ever seen on DVD. Jagged edges on straight lines, rainbows, pixellation, bouncing, I could go on, but that was the first minute roundup. Obviously the transfer is far too inferior to show any EE.

Since others have seen this, and I have the new "reissue", obviously the studio doesn't care. I am going to insist on getting my money back for this trash, so bite me Harvey!

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I'm suprised a special edition of this film has not been announced or available, given it was hugely popular when released and earned enormous critical acclaim and accolades (6 Oscar nominations including Picture, Director, Actor and Supporting Actress and winning for screenplay). It also appeared on many top 10 lists and was called one of the best films of the 1990s.

Artisan released a non anamorphic and DD 2.0 version back in 1998, and I beleive Miramax now owns the distribution rights.

Is there any one who believes this film could use a much needed upgrade?

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
I agree completely. I have the R2 MGM anamorphic DVD, which has the trailer, but a SE of this is long overdue.

I'd love to hear a commentary from cast (particularly Stephen Rea, Miranda Richardson, Forest Whitaker, Jaye Davison, Jim Broadbent) and crew (Neil Jordan, Nik Powell, Stephen Woolley, Ian Wilson), together with the inevitable deleted scenes.

Considering the impact this film had on the British film industry, I'm surprised that either MGM UK or a smaller independent production company hasn't released it.

Still, definitely on my wish list!

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
Lions Gate is certain to reissue this title; they are the current rights holders. What would be the best way to delay the eventual re-release and petition in hopes of getting a new transfer created?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks