1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

The Crow Miramax CS: Brandon Lee commentary

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Conklin, Nov 15, 2001.

1. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Hi all,
    I was curious, I just picked this movie up, and I know Brandon Lee got killed making this movie, however I cannot find anything about this tragedy on this "loaded" with extras DVD.
    Is there a hidden easter egg or am I missing something?
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

2. Roby Adams

Roby Adams Stunt Coordinator

3. Sean Conklin

Ok, thanks Roby.
    But since it did happen, I think they should include a small commentary in remembrance of Brandon. I mean am I being callous?, it did happen and inquiring minds want to know.
    Does anyone know which scene it happened in?
    I think it was towards the end where he gets shot once in the left shoulder/heart, after the Crow was captured and his invincibility was taken away, he was standing on the steps and when he was shot it looks rather strange the way he say's "Ouch....Aww Fuck" and then drops with a strangely real look on his face.
    If you guys do not know what scene I am referring to, I'll post back with a Chapter number and time.
    ------------------
    Sean
    [Edited last by Sean Conklin on November 15, 2001 at 01:27 AM]

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Sean, I know what scene your refering to, but I seriously doubt that they actually used that take in the finished film!
    But I do know what you mean, they mention nothing on the disc anywhere about it. But perhaps it's sad enough knowing it happened, besides, I get a little saddened when I watch his final interview when he talks about watching the full moon rise etc...
    But Brandon's passing cast a very powerful shadow over the entire film that add's to it's tragic tale I think.
    ------------------
    To the men and women of the N.Y. police and fire department
    God bless you.
    To the victims and their families
    God keep you.
    To the dirtbags who caused all this
    God help you!!!

5. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

Just had to mention this: I actually watched Brandon Lee's last movie yesterday. No, I don't mean The Crow, but a swedish amateur movie called Sex, Lögner och Videovåld (Sex, Lies and Video violence[/i]). The scenes were filmed several years ago (obviously), but the actual movie wasn't finished until this year.
    --Anders
    ------------------
    http://www.dvd1138.com/
    Ob me Deus cavet
    My movie collection

6. Sean Conklin

I agree John, I love this movie and all through it I cannot help but think of the tragedy.
    But I thought I remember hearing that they actually did show the scene, if only partially.
    But if they did, I think this scene is it. It just spooks me the way his eye's roll and the way he falls to the floor, it looks so real life. Or it's an absolutely brilliant piece of acting in this scene.
    But it's too real for me and I would bet this is the scene.
    ------------------
    Sean

7. Bernhard

Bernhard Stunt Coordinator

Accourding to the Imdb they destroyed the negative without developing it.
    You can also read the whole story here: http://us.imdb.com/Trivia?0109506
    Broken URL fixed by Admin.
    ------------------
    My current DVD Collection
    Ni !
    [Edited last by Philip Hamm on November 16, 2001 at 10:57 AM]

8. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I agree about the lack of any mention of Brandon. They don't even talk about the SFX (though I've not got through all the commentary) needed to replace it. I don't think it's because they don't want to remember - they don't want *us* to remember, it's bad.
    They should be honest.
    FWIW the shooting thing was as a result of him being shot by a shotgun, I heard. I can't remember what weapon is used in the scene you're talking about but I don't think that's the one. I thought it was in the massive shootout that it happened.
    Either way it can be distracting knowing because you look for the scenes where it's obviously not him. Maybe this is why they don't mention it, in which case I guess that might be okay...
    ------------------
    My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
    My Novelty Coasters

9. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Found this on google.
    "Filming began on the "flashback", where you see the red/yellow colored scene of Eric coming home to his apartment to find T-Bird's gang attacking Shelley. Blanks were loaded into the gun. The scene called for Eric to walk into the apartment, and startle the bad guys. Funboy would then turn around and fire at him. A squib (a small device placed on an actor that explodes to give the impression of a gun shot or wound) was placed inside a bag of groceries that Eric was supposed to be bringing home. When shot at, Eric was to fall backwards, and the rest of the scene to be filmed.
    Tragically, the uncleaned gun had a lodged shell stuck in the barrel. When shot with a blank, the effect was that of a real bullet: the shell was shot out of the barrel at a high rate of speed. The shot accidentally hit Brandon in the stomach, and he doubled over on his knees and collapsed. Although the scene called for him to fall backwards, everyone just thought that he was over-acting. They continued shooting the scene, until they realized something was wrong. He was bleeding badly from the abdomen."
    Jon

10. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    I'm amazed at how well and seamless the finished film is! I don't think it would have been possible to finish it, credibly anyway, without cgi.
    I can't think of one instance when I doubt it's Brandon.
    ------------------
    God bless you.
    God keep you.
    God help you!!!

11. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Jon, thans for the info. I was never sure myself what scene it happened in. I'll never be able to watch that scene the same way again.
    ------------------
    God bless you.
    God keep you.
    God help you!!!

12. Sean Conklin

Thanks a lot guys!
    quote: Either way it can be distracting knowing because you look for the scenes where it's obviously not him[/quote]
    Theo, you're right about that!
    quote: I'm amazed at how well and seamless the finished film is! I don't think it would have been possible to finish it, credibly anyway, without cgi.I can't think of one instance when I doubt it's Brandon.[/quote]
    Boy, you're right about that John, what a work of art!! This just makes the movie that more incredible!
    Thanks for the link Bernhard.(BTW the link needs to be fixed it is connected to your sig).But I used the address and checked it out.
    And thank you Jon. Are you in Eastern or Western MT. BTW?
    ------------------
    Sean
    [Edited last by Sean Conklin on November 15, 2001 at 03:00 AM]

13. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I really do notice when its not him but I that's because I know. I'll spoiler up the two most obvious instances that come to mind in case you don't want to know.
    Spoiler:
    - when he is applying the crow makeup we don't see his face until that brief glimpse in the mirror, which looks like a projection of a outtake rather than a genuine reflection.
    - I can't remember names but when the little girl comes into the appartment and looks for him. Then he appears totally in shadow at the round window. Blatantly not him, I'd say.
    - I think they probably re-cut earlier sequences to make it hard to see his features, thus giving continuity.

------------------
    My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
    My Novelty Coasters

14. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

They took the scene of him crawling out of his grave and used it in the mirror.

15. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Their is also another shot, one of the best shots in the film, the one right after he puts on the make-up and walks to the round window, then when the lightning flashes and highlights his face and the camera pulls way back, it's someone else's body, and they superimposed Brandon's face on his head.
    ------------------
    God bless you.
    God keep you.
    God help you!!!

16. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

I remember about the time the CE of The Crow came out, there was some controversy surrounding the contents of the disc. Apparently there was a lot more planned for it (add all the features up - seems a little light for 2 discs, doesn't it?), but there was some brouhaha between some of the people connected with the film and much of the content got suddenly dropped.
    Here's a quote from an Oct. 17 post by Matt Wallace:quote: If they are waiting for Alex Proyas involvment, it will be awhile. He already cut a commentary for it and helped producte a 1hr making of. Both were axed at the last minute because they didn't include producer Jeff Most enough to his liking. Mirimax was green-lighting The Crow 4:Lazurus at the time and didn't want to piss off their producer, so they denied the material for inclusion on the disc. I mean -take a look at it: does it really require two discs for what you get? No. It's a quasi-Superbit!!
    Screenwriter David J. Schow has a website and has an in-depth article on this subject. Pretty ballsy thing to do, but it's a damn shame what was lost due to arrogance and ego and he tells it like it is. Sorry, but I don't have the link.
    So I believe that Mirimax has the rights to all of that content, as it's brand new. Sigh....[/quote]
    This was the link to David Schow's side of the story - unfortunately, the article seems to be gone, and I haven't been able to get a search on gothic.net to come up with it. Bummer...it was interesting reading.
    I did find this information (a little more detailed than what's given in Matt's quote above) on DVDVerdict :

17. Voon Jiet

Voon Jiet Stunt Coordinator

Voon
    There is more to the story...
    Brandon's untimely death while filming The Crow, and the need to hire a stand in to complete the film paralles that of the death of his father, Bruce Lee. Bruce Lee died before Game of Death was complete, and a stand in was called to replace Bruce in many scenes. But, alas, the movie is far from seamless. You could always tell when it was not Bruce Lee, and for some scenes, they used older footage of the actual Bruce from his previous films.
    Its a tragedy that both father and son passed away at such a young age.

18. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Jeff Most isn't really a "producer" in the traditional sense of the word. I had the misfortune of working for producer Ed Pressman during the making of the awful "Crow 2: City of Angels" (ugh!) and remember Most being mainly involved with music selection and rights, though he did have a presence on the set. He was a music producer, I think, who lucked into the Crow franchise by hooking up with creator James O'Barr.
    It's clear why the creative talent doesn't have much to say about Most, as he really didn't do a whole lot besides being in the right place at the right time with the franchise.

19. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

I recall that very long article which went into detail about why Proyas was not involved in the DVD. It was apparently Proyas call more than Miramax's. Proyas had final veto on all of his stuff being put on the DVD, and when Most wanted more involvement, Proyas asked that all of his own content be removed. I guess there's bad blood between Proyas and Most.
    I imagine that all of the stuff produced with the involvement of Proyas will show up someday, but apparently Proyas owns all of it (commentary, docs . . .)
    What is strange though is that there is nothing on Brandon Lee's death, since I can remember seeing a whole show (I believe it was an episode of Movie Magic) that went into all the work it took to finish the Crow without Lee.

20. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I am curious if he died before filming ended. How did they do his voice track? I know that Aayliah had finished shooting, but had not done her voice track for the new Anne Rice movie. Can anyone explain what they did?