What's new

The Criterion 'Prince of Tides' LD recall (1 Viewer)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I was wondering if anyone could provide specifics on the situation regarding the original release and recall of Criterion's LD of Streisand's Prince of Tides. Did the original discs ever officially make it to market (I know some copies still float around on the secondary market)? What was changed for the re-release and why was Streisand unhapy with the original version? I know at least one HTFer actually worked on the set for Criterion, so I was hoping someone here could fill me in.
Thanks,
DJ

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Criterion charged $99.99, the other version was $40
Same sound better picture according to the WSR back issues I have

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
From an interview with Criterion guru-president Peter Becker at TDB:
. With the problems we had many years ago on the laserdisc. That was simply a matter of Barbra Streisand quite rightly having found some typographical errors in the supplement and thinking better of a couple comments on the commentary track and asking us to change it, which we laboriously did over the course of a year-and-a-half. It lead to some delays, but in the end was more or less the identical disc to the one that we had originally produced with a couple of errors corrected and one or two (not terrifically significantly) comments lost from the commentary track.
And that's the official company line on the matter. I remember seeing a copy of the original LD on Ebay, and the seller said that those got out into the market because some of the first batch were given out to Criterion employees as Christmas bonus-type deals.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The Prince of Tides must have been a jinxed title, because there was also a recall of the initial Columbia LD. The scene where Nick Nolte goes into a bookshop and makes a surprising discovery about his sister was inadvertently omitted, and it confused a lot of people who didn't already know the film, because the next scene is Nolte yelling at Streisand's character about what he'd discovered. The omission occurred at a side break, IIRC.
M.

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
I remember seeing a copy of the original LD on Ebay, and the seller said that those got out into the market because some of the first batch were given out to Criterion employees as Christmas bonus-type deals.
Jon,

That person who sold the LD on eBay a couple years ago was me. I was an LD (and DVD) reviewer for nearly 20 years, and I received a copy of that real first printing of PRINCE OF TIDES directly from Criterion. Contrary to whatever Criterion's "official company line" might be, that first disc obviously existed, because several thousand copies were pressed. (I'll see if I can find my info on the exact pressing run.)

As far as I can remember, no actual copies had yet been distributed to stores. IF, and that's a big IF, any were, it would have been to a couple local LD stores, and they would have been easily recalled. But of those actual copies "released" outside of Criterion, they went directly to maybe 10 or so reviewers nationwide, myself included.

In what turned out to be a very costly problem for Criterion, Barbra Streisand had COMPLETE control of the LD, and had final approval. The entire project met with her approval every step of the way, and the disc was pressed. But when a copy was given to Streisand for the final sign off, she refused to give it — she was very unhappy with the way she sounded in her commentary track, and wanted to do it over. There were also a few minor items in the supplementary material she wished to revise. And since she had final approval and creative control over the LD, Criterion had no choice but to follow her instructions and start work on revising the LD.

Because of all that, Criterion "recalled" the LD, and all copies were ordered destroyed. Legally, none could be released and sold at retail. Of course, not all the copies were "recalled" and destroyed — we reviewer could keep our copies, and Criterion did hand one out to each employee that year as Christmas presents.

I can't remember the exact details of what was changed in the supplementary materials, but I'll check my files later today and see if I can find my notes.

As an LD fan, from a collector's point of view I sometimes regret selling the disc, since there are only maybe 50 copies at most in existence. However, life took precedence over collecting — I sold that and several other items because I desperately needed to take care of seriously mounting medical bills and other things (I got seriously nailed by a nasty genetic disease about 4-1/2 years back that has nearly killed me several times over... fun stuff... but at least I've mostly stable now. Not quite what my wife I and had planned out for our lives....) Anyway, I have to admit that I simply cannot stand watching PRINCE OF TIDES on many levels (my apologies), and I decided that rather than hold onto this solely because of its "rarity," I would instead part with it and hope that it went to someone who would truly appreciate having the disc. It turned out that I knew the fellow who won the auction — he used to be one of my magazine readers (yes, I used to publish my own monthly LD magazine) — and I can't imagine the LD going to a better home! And besides, I have over 6,000 LDs in my collection, so it's not like I don't have any titles to watch these days.

(Bragging Rights On: I have far more rare titles than PRINCE OF TIDES that I actually enjoy. I have several "one-of-a-kind" discs, where maybe 1-5 copies were ever pressed. These were either test pressings, or in a couple of cases final pressings with full covers. I even have alternate finished jackets for several discs that were never released (the artwork or designs had to be changed). Anyway, these titles/discs never made it to market for one reason or another — sudden legal issues, rights pulled/lost at the last minute, etc. I know of several cases at one studio/company where they legally obtained a title, or so they thought — they'd press a few test copies, or even the final disc, only to later discover that the "rights-holder" didn't actually legally hold the rights to the title(s) they were selling in the first place. Very messy... and costly. Okay, Bragging Rights Off.)

Well, I hope that answered some of your questions about the original, real first version of the PRINCE OF TIDES LD. As I said earlier, I'll check my files and see if I can find the specific again, but no promises. Aside from all this happening years ago, we bought a new home a few months ago, and most of my archives (not to mention about 50% of all our stuff) is still boxed up until we finish furnishing/completing both our office and our official "fun collection room."

Best wishes,
Jeff

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
When Morgan Holly -- who produced this disc for Criterion -- used to post here all the time, he had all sorts of good stories about Ms. Streisand. Morgan, where are you?

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I bet Criterion regrets that laserdisc for a number of reasons, not least the film. ;)
Presumably they've never been so rash as to give out total creative control to a director since?

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Presumably they've never been so rash as to give out total creative control to a director since?
There's a pretty good chance Jim Jarmusch had control over the Stranger Than Paradise LD, since neither of the two commentaries he recorded was included on the final disc, at his request.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I think that was simply at his request as opposed to his right.

There's an interview with him at DVD Talk where he complains that there's "too much stuff" on the exquisite Down by Law DVD!

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I know of several cases at one studio/company where they legally obtained a title, or so they thought — they'd press a few test copies, or even the final disc, only to later discover that the "rights-holder" didn't actually legally hold the rights to the title(s) they were selling in the first place. Very messy... and costly.
Oooh ooh, do tell! I love this kind of stuff.
6000 LDs, huh? Took their own truck to move 'em into your new home, didn't they? I had enough trouble moving my measly 300. ;)

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
she was very unhappy with the way she sounded in her commentary track, and wanted to do it over
Does anyone know what was the gist of her objections in the commentary. Overall tone (what was it - bitter, angry?), or actual statements made?

Very curious. Have been hearing about this LD for many years now.

Felix

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.