What's new

The Criterion Collection on HD-DVD??? (1 Viewer)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
....I only wish!

I thought it would be interesting to start a thread on 10 Criterion titles you would like to see in HD (preferably, HD-DVD for me). I personally believe that HD-DVD is better suited for Criterion tastes, but that's just my opinion. Here's my list:

-The Third Man
-The Red Shoes
-Last Temptation of Christ (actually, can't Universal release this one?)
-Seven Samurai
-8 1/2
-The 400 Blows
-Nights of Cabiria
-Solaris
-Grand Illusion
-Summertime

If HD-DVD did happen, I doubt that Criterion could release the Fox and Sony licensed material on HD-DVD, and vice-versa for Universal if they went with Blu-ray. I think the HD-DVD forum & Toshiba should get cracking and offer Criterion some sort of incentive to release on HD-DVD.hat do you all think? I do believe that when Criterion does eventually decide, it will likely be for just one format. Total HD would probably be to expensive for a Criterion release. I think having Criterion as an exclusive would almost be like having an exclusive studio. Afterall, the HD cable networks don't exactly show many of the films listed above, and the only way to see many of them in HD would be through Criterion.

Could you imagine The Third Man in HD!!!!!!!!!

Just the thought gives me chills.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Agreed.

Mods....

Please change to "The Criterion Collection on HD-DVD?" if possible.

Thanks.

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator
dear god...yeah, another vote for changing the thread title. I nearly had a heart attack before jumping in this thread.

~Jason

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

This is one instance where BD having region code capability may actually make a difference in Criterion being able to get licenses on some of their foreign language films.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Yawn. Criterion has said, twice, that they will NOT release any HD disks in either format until the format war is over. From the Criterion blog:
So -- to recap: ain't gonna happen, until either Blu-ray or HD-DVD goes away.

I think that if the format war continues small studios will be looking into HD download services -- if iTunes goes HD before the format war gets settled, they may be the ones getting the Janus (Criterion) titles...

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Thanks Ted.

I also liked Peter's response.

This whole HD format war definitely needs to go away. It does show a since of class that Criterion isn't playing sides here. To choose one side or the other would only prolong the very thing they despise. All parties involved should be disgusted at this "war."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks