What's new

General Discussion The Criterion Channel Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Sounds like you just need to grab a Roku and you will be fine. Quick, cheap, and easiest solution.

Plus going Roku you can dump the lame LG software set up.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
According to Amazon, the Roku Premiere supports HDR10 and HLG, but not Dolby Vison. Is that correct? Also, can the Roku be controlled with an IR remote (Harmony 665)?

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Well, yes. It seems a counterproductive to "upgrade" and lose features to which I've grown accustomed. I'll read up on the Firestick. Thanks.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
So far the LG software setup is worth keeping. It does not seem so "lame" to me. The Fire TV Stick does not currently support Dolby Atmos on Netflix. The LG Netflix app does support DA. My real interest in getting a streaming device is to access the Criterion Channel. I'll have to decide whether the Roku or Fire TV Stick are worth the cost for Criterion, when it appears I'd continue to use the LG apps for Prime with DV or Netflix with DA.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
According to Amazon, the Roku Premiere supports HDR10 and HLG, but not Dolby Vison. Is that correct? Also, can the Roku be controlled with an IR remote (Harmony 665)?
All the Roku models I own - - Ultra, Express and the new Premiere with HDR10 - - accept IR codes and should be in the Harmony database.

No Roku models support Dolby Vision - - just HDR10, if anything.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
So far the LG software setup is worth keeping. It does not seem so "lame" to me. The Fire TV Stick does not currently support Dolby Atmos on Netflix. The LG Netflix app does support DA. My real interest in getting a streaming device is to access the Criterion Channel. I'll have to decide whether the Roku or Fire TV Stick are worth the cost for Criterion, when it appears I'd continue to use the LG apps for Prime with DV or Netflix with DA.
Criterion won't be in 4K anyway.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I saw that e-mail from Criterion - the lineup seems impressive and I like that they state how long they intend to keep films in the service.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The following excerpt from Criterion is critical to read and understand if you're thinking of subscribing to this channel. If you're going to subscribe, you might want to do it by April 7th.

"The new service will host the Criterion Collection and Janus Films’ ever-growing library of more than 1,000 feature films, 350 shorts, and 3,500 supplementary features, including trailers, introductions, behind-the-scenes documentaries, interviews, video essays, commentary tracks, and rare archival footage. It will also feature a constantly refreshed selection of films from a wide array of studio and independent licensors including Sony Pictures, Warner Bros., Paramount Pictures, Metro Goldwyn Mayer (MGM), Lionsgate, IFC Films, Kino Lorber, Cohen Media, Milestone Film and Video, Oscilloscope, Cinema Guild, Strand Releasing, Shout Factory, Film Movement, and Grasshopper Films. Additional licensors will be added in the coming months.

Films in the permanent streaming library will be continuously available to all Criterion Channel subscribers at all times, regardless of whether they are being spotlighted in thematic programming. Films licensed specifically for featured thematic programming may be available for shorter periods, but all films will be available for a minimum of ninety days unless otherwise noted.

The Criterion Channel will launch in the U.S. and Canada and will be available on desktop browsers as well as through apps for Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Roku, iOS, and Android and Android TV devices. Subscribers who sign up by April 7 will enjoy an extended, 30-day free trial (starting April 8), reduced fees for as long as they remain subscribed, and immediate access to a new pre-launch, members-only Movie of the Week every Wednesday between now and the April 8 launch."

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
So much of this seems like it's exactly how FilmStruck was run - I can't believe they couldn't have just done something like a change in ownership of that service and kept it going...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So much of this seems like it's exactly how FilmStruck was run - I can't believe they couldn't have just done something like a change in ownership of that service and kept it going...
Perhaps there was something in their business agreement with Warner that prevented that so they had to dissolve FilmStruck?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Perhaps there was something in their business agreement with Warner that prevented that so they had to dissolve FilmStruck?

I guess what I'm saying is it just seems like they scrapped FilmStruck then rebuilt it to be the same service that didn't work the first time, you know? And they should have a harder go of it this time around because they won't have the extra built in TCM audience to fall back on (to advertise to, etc.)

I am very much looking forward to signing up for the yearly package, though. There is almost zero overlap between this and movies I have in my digital collection or can access through other services. And the curation aspect of it is my favorite part. It gives you the sense that you are watching a movie in more of a communal setting.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I guess what I'm saying is it just seems like they scrapped FilmStruck then rebuilt it to be the same service that didn't work the first time, you know? And they should have a harder go of it this time around because they won't have the extra built in TCM audience to fall back on (to advertise to, etc.)

I am very much looking forward to signing up for the yearly package, though. There is almost zero overlap between this and movies I have in my digital collection or can access through other services. And the curation aspect of it is my favorite part. It gives you the sense that you are watching a movie in more of a communal setting.
Criterion didn't scrap FilmStruck, Warner scrapped it because of what their plan launch of their own streaming service later this year and will include more than just classic movies, but more stuff that's under the Warner umbrella only.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Criterion didn't scrap FilmStruck, Warner scrapped it because of what their plan launch of their own streaming service later this year and will include more than just classic movies, but more stuff that's under the Warner umbrella only.

I know... ugh... the point I'm trying to get across isnt quite getting across...

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I know... ugh... the point I'm trying to get across isnt quite getting across...
If your point is that it didn't work and that it's going to be harder to succeed with such a channel without Warner? If so, I got your point, but I'm not sure it's true that it didn't work as Warner pulled the plug due to their own corporate interests. As to it being harder without Warner, true enough, but Criterion needs to up their game and they have seem to be promoting this new channel more than Filmstruck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks