The Crime of Father Amaro

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Patrick Sun, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Jun 30, 1999
    Mexico's highest grossing film showed up on DVD recently, and since it was another film that I had intended on seeing (but never got around to travelling into the city to see it on one of the avante garde/indy theaters).

The story was adapted from a Portuguese novel written in the mid-1800's, but it's pretty much a timeless story of how the feelings of attraction between people who shouldn't be involved go from the abstract to the concrete, and the choice between that attraction and one's own ambitions isn't ever as clear cut as they should be.

Father Amaro is played by the young star in the making, Gael Garcia Bernal, who is one of those actors who's pretty riveting on the screen, and very compelling to watch, even if he plays an ernest, but ultimately flawed character. The rest of the cast is equally good.

Some may find the subject matter distasteful, but much of the story is rather human in terms of how the heart will overcome reason and common sense, with much at stake in terms of personal cost and consequences.

I don't think it was a great, magnificent film, but still worthy of a rental if you enjoy films of moral quandary.
  2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Dec 11, 2000
    I rented this a couple of months ago. Definitely worth a rental. [​IMG]

Ana Claudia Talancon... [​IMG]