What's new

The Crime of Bi-Lingual DVD Cover Art? (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
here is an e-mail I sent. I am at work so it was written rather hastily, hope it came out well.

"Hi,

First of all I want to thank you guys for releasing great DVD products. Titles from your company are a big % of my 400 DVD collection.

You may want to be aware however of a way to increase your revenue by avoid a loss to customers purchasing your product from the US.

there are 2 major issues. the first is simple and VERY EASY to fix as many other studios have.

1. Bilingual covers:

Because I am at work I cannot take the time to fully express how displeased I and many are by the Bilingual covers. I myself have not bought a single bilingual cover since their implementation. I will actually ORDER from a US site and PAY more rather than own a DVD with bilingual cover.

I initially was going to buy it bilingual and make my own cover but realized it was going to cost ME time and effort and meanwhile companies like yourself would not suffer in the least from this practice. instead I would like for you to realize you are not getting my $ for many titles including the wonderful Lord Of the Rings releases. I guess there is a small amount of people willing to do this and your sales are not affected too much or you might have changed your cover policy by now.

Here is a link to well know and respected forum where people like myself have expressed similar feelings and you can see I am not alone.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=190426

You are not the only studio with this problem, I have not bought a Paramount title from here either since this because of bi-lingual covers. The reason I take the time to write YOU is because you had a GREAT solution BEFORE the law was even passed that you needed French packaging and you CHANGED IT.

REVERSIBLE COVERS! One side English, The other French. My first DVDs years ago like Scream and Spawn (New Line, through you) and many others. now... well read the comments on the link and you will see.

The second issue is FAR MORE serious and un-acceptable but I guess a little touchier.

Changing content.

I have had to buy Monsters Inc, Running Man Special Edition and others from the US because you removed features, extras and/or (and this is horrible) Audio tracks to make room for a French track.

AM I saying don't put a French Track? of course not. If you are going to answer me with a "we need to fulfill a demand" line please don't bother.

I live in Montreal, I have family that only speaks French and understand the need for such a track. I don't know what you can do, make a separate release if need be but DO NOT ALTER THE DISK.

I WANT THE FX TRACK IN MONSTERS INC, I WANT THE DTS TRACK IN THE RUNNING MAN!
I guess I could say it's your loss, my $ will go to the US. But I lose too, it costs me more and often have to wait rather than walk over to my local retailer. And in the end WE ALL LOSE, because it reflects bad on the Canadian market. I could go on with how stats might become inaccurate production affected etc...

Again I am a big fan of DVD and of your company and hope that adding my voice to the cause will help you realize we can both win and be satisfied with the product, service and end result."

I suggest others do the same.

Rolando

Screenwriter
in case anyone cares, I got a reply within 15 minutes of sending this with, you guess it, a form e-mail.

too bad, was hoping someone would actually read it and that it might make a small difference.

silly me.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

I stand corrected Tom. I picked up "Rundown" last night. Sure enough, it's a bilingual package with a reversible English/French French/English cover insert. SIGH.

Off to DVDCoverart. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks