What's new

The Creature From the Black Lagoon in 3D at the Drive-In! (1 Viewer)

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
JohnS,

I guess so.......click here for the Arclight site. On the right gray column click on HTWWW. They are currently only taking orders for the first 3 days, but by August you can get advance seats and certainly can get tickets each day. Best place to sit is center from 10 to 25 rows back... the sweet spot. Enjoy! :)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Peter, you're absolutely right about the effect of Cinerama bringing you into the picture. But I dis-agree with your assessment of 3-D, at least from the 1950's. While the post-50's titles had a tendency to be very "gimmicky" with an overabundance of off-screen shots, the 1950's films (more often than not) are much more subtle in their use of gimmicks. Sure you've got exploitation films like Spooks, Fort Ti and Man in the Dark, but you've also got films like Inferno, Dangerous Mission, Flight to Tangier, Glass Web, Second Chance, I the Jury, Dial M for Murder and many others, where depth is utilized as a dramatic element to the story. Instead of being assaulted with flying objects, you are made part of the action, as an observer who might be viewing the proceedings from a safe distance. That's the beauty of the stereo cinematography in these movies, and one that is totally lost in any flat presentation.

For too many years, these 3-D movies have gotten a bad rap, and it's time for a critical re-evaluation of their dimensional significance, and subtlety.

Bob

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
is anybody else going to this 3-D festival??

I've never seen TRUE 3-d before.
It's always been titles like
Jaws 3-D, Freddy's Dead and that Orin sci-fi cartoon

so I'm really excited to experience this.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I've already got a festival pass! I want to checkout the Cinerama movie as well.

I saw CHARGE AT FEATHER RIVER in dual 35mm polarized a few years ago; and it was amazing. You really haven't seen 3-D until you've seen it this way.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
If any of you wear glasses, check the festival site. They offer clip-ons (as well as better quality plastic framed ones) for sale - only by mail.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks