The crazy people I met at the mall

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Hayes, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

The art work-poster store in the mall had a sale. So this morning I went and got a Star Wars movie poster for 4$ and a frame for 10$ [​IMG]
    Anyway in front of me in line was a well to do couple, nice leather coats, gold jewelry and diamonds, the whole nine yards. They had walked up to the counter a second before I did. In there hand they had a large expensive print of some sort of artwork. So as the cashier helped them they went thru this long deal about mattes and frames and what color the mattes should be and how much it shoud cost and on and on and on it went or at least 10 to 15 min.
    Now before this fiasco began the mans wife said to her husband " this guy only has a couple of things why dont you let him go first honey" to which the husband looks up to me and replies with a snear "the early bird gets the worm dear" and turned his back and started this longwinded negotiation for his purchase.
    Now I try to be a fair man and he did get in line before I did so I took it. I wanted the nice bargain on my purchase so I stood there. But hear is the kicker, THE JERK DIDNT BUY A DAMN THING he said that he was going to shop around before he made his purchase. I was anoyed. So as soon as my purchase was rung up I walked up to the guy who was still in the store and said "You didnt even by anything, you couldnt have let me be on my way?" and then walked out of the store expecting that to be the end of it. But no, the little man follows me, grabs my arm and shouts "People like you should be seen not heard. Its bad enough we have to put up with you riff raff!"
    I have to tell you I was speachless, I couldnt believe my ears. Do people realy believe that foolishness in this day and age? Aparantly so. I got all menacing looking and told him I was going to throw him over the balconey (which was only a bluff) at which point he screamed like a little girl and ran leaving his wife behind!. The kicker was she actually thought it was funny! I apologized profusly to the lady who actually turned out to be quite nice, even offerd to buy me lunch to make up for her husbands poor manners. She said he needed to be taught a lesson and was happy to have seen it with her own eyes. The little bastard went and got security and even though the wife explained the situation I still got thrown out of the mall. Funny thing was before her husband got back she gave me her phone number and told me to call anytime.
    I am definitly going to call.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Quite a story. But you may want to think twice before calling the woman. Something very odd is going on between her and her husband, and the last thing you want is to find yourself pulled into the middle of it -- especially since there's probably a written report of the altercation at the mall. If there's ever any further trouble, that report may look bad for you.

M.

3. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Wow, that's amazing! If she is hot, I would sooo call her up [​IMG]
    But, to be serious here, I would take Michael's advice. There is probably something weird going on between her and her husband, and I don't think I would want to be in the middle of it.

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Wow that is even more bizarre than your scared-to-death thread. [​IMG]

5. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

6. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

Ok, maybe I shouldnt call. Little Scotty wanted to call the woman she was hot and perhaps rich. Mulling it over my brain says it could be a bad situation.

7. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo

John Dhein
    Yes, what an unusual character. This sounds like the beginning of a movie.

8. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

I think the whole thing is both wacked and hillarious at the same time. The mall is great...you never know who you are going to run into there. I would have paid money to hear the guy scream like a school girl. He had no right to put his hands on you. Reminds me of some jerk I met in the mall a few years back, actually I have two stories, so here goes:
    A few years ago I was out doing some Christmas shopping minding my own buisness (I dress goth all black clothes btw) so here I am just walking when I hear this man's hillbilly voice booming throughout the mall..he says to the two girls who are with him "What in the HELL is that?" (meaning me) Now I don't look all too crazy I was just in black clothes. Now the funny part of this whole scene is that the man yelling wondering what in the He## I was..heh well he was wearing one of those fringe jackets like Bon Jovi used to wear cept his wasn't as cool, he had a belt buckle on the size of Texas, cowboy boots (not even cool cowboy boots) and a 10 gallon cowboy hat on. Not to mention he prob outweighed 3 normal average people oh...and his stomach was coming out of his shirt sort of umm hanging there and flapping while he spoke. Now I wouldn't think to tell him that I personally didn't care for his sense of fashion because that's just not cool, but since he brought it up...I looked at him and the two girls with him (they had prob 4 teeth between them) and I said "I don't know nor do I care to know what your problem is sir, but if you want to take pot shots at other people and their choice of fashion I suggest you take a long hard look at yourself, because if (I) were the fashion police you and that jacket would be under arrest." He said nothing more. I can't stand people that treat others with disrespect for no apparent reason. Okay...story two and this happened the day after the world trade center attacks, I was walking through the mall and they were doing that moment of silence thing on the radio, some of the shops had it turned on and small groups of people were huddling into the stores still dumbfounded by the previous days events. I started crying, thinking about all that had transpired and after everything was over I left the store and started walking through the mall, I had my head down as tears still streamed down my face when I almost bumped into a lady, she went off! She said well EXUCUSE ME at the top of her lungs and I almost thought she was going to take a shot at me, she was with her husband or boyfriend he looked at me as if he were embarrassed. I waited for her to move and eventually she started walking, thats when I approached her, (maybe a bad idea) okay bad idea [​IMG] but anyway I simply said this to her:
    Lady, with all that has and is happening to our country right now you would think that we could all treat each other a little better. I walked away from her and went to a quiet place and just cried. You know some people can be real jerks...and I seem to meet my fair share of them in the mall. Those are my horrid mall stories. Wonder if anyone else has some they would like to share?
    Peace,
    Eve

9. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Weird. I've been to the mall many times but I've never had that kind of experience. Maybe I'm lucky. Or not.

10. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

The mall I go to around here which shall remain nameless is geared more toward the people who have big $$$$ except for a few stores like sam goody, electronic botqiue, kaybee and a few others. There is a huge mixture of different people there because its the only really big mall nearby. When I go out to the mall I usually wear jeans, a baseball/hockey jersey and hat of the teams jersey im wearing. Well one day while walking past a high end art sort of place and I saw a huge spider-man print. I have been a huge fan of spider-man since i was little, and since it was right after the holidays I had saved up cash to buy myself stuff. I walked into the store and withen 10 seconds some guy in a suit came up to me like i was going to ruin something. I asked him what the price of that print was. He said "Sir i do not think you can afford that item" I asked for the price again. He just walked away. This was for a spiderman print for heavans sakes. I could imagine what he would have said If i wanted a regular piece of art.

Capt

11. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Joel, doesn't that count as discrimination? I hate those type of people. My now ex-girlfriend and I were in a store at the mall, not an expensive item store, but we were followed all over the damn place. I know it was because I was wearing a stocking cap. I had to try so hard not to say something to her! Stupid people suck!!

12. Dave Reichert

Dave Reichert Stunt Coordinator

You think you see some crazy stuff going to the mall, try working there! I've got so many stories about looney people in the mall I can't even imagine how long I would be typing. The mall I work at is kinda right in between the REALLY nice part of town and the not so-nice-trailer-park-white-trash part of town. There are people who get welfare checks, and people with several million dollar homes all in one mall. Let the chaos ensue . . .

13. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Dave- Come on. Post some of those stories! [​IMG]

14. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Yes, Dave please, I love this kind of stuff.

15. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Joey, a similar thing happened to me a couple of months ago, but at a gas station. I was tired after school so I figured I would pay for some FULL SERVICE GAS. I was 17 at the time and was wearing a hawaiian shirt and some jeans and when I pulled up, the attendant said, "Go to SELF Service, you probably can't afford FULL." I said "sure" and I pulled into another gas station a few miles down the road [​IMG]
    argh [​IMG]

16. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

Yea come on Dave, tell us some stories. A good friend of mine did security at the mall. Went and had lunch with him one day and he was showing me some wierd stuff. He pointed out this couple and whispered to me that they were flashers. Said he could pick out the flashers everytime. So we followed them at a discrete ditance. Sure enough the guy pulls out a little digital camera and when they thought no one was paying attention she would flash him parts of her body as he quickly snapped some pics, we followed them around for quite a while. I asked him why he let them do it and he laughed and pointed to all the hidden cameras that are hidden around the mall. Said they had piles of tape of this stuff. He did say on days were the mall was crowded and alot of kids in the mall they quickly put a halt to it, but he said it was more common than you think. He said you wouldnt believe the people that he caught having sex. It was amazing some of the stories he would tell us. Crazy.

17. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam

18. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

Thats funny as hell! Ive had similar incidences like that. Too funny. [​IMG]

19. Dan Whalen

Dan Whalen Stunt Coordinator

Some people at the mall here piss me off. Like in stores like Dillards and The Jones Store you have these teeny bopper girlies that look at you like, "What are you doing here?" Um, ok honey, you work at a clothing store (nothing against those that do work at clothing stores, just the snoody types[​IMG] ). I bet I'm making twice what you are, so don't treat me like trash.
    Dan

20. Dave Reichert

Dave Reichert Stunt Coordinator

Alright, I guess I'll post a couple.

This really doesn't have to do with people at the mall, but it is one of the more entertaining stories that's happened in the 2 years I've worked at this mall. They were doing a bunch of remodeling and were putting in some new skylights. This was last summer sometime. Anybody who's spent time in CO during the summer knows the weather can go from nice to nasty in minutes, and well it did. It was a Sunday afternoon, and all the construction crews had the day off so the project was idle. Well there were big giant holes in the ceiling where the skylights were supposed to go and these were being covered up with what I can best describe as sheet metal. SO . . . big strong gust of wind comes up and lifts up the sheet metal a bit, dropping probably a pick-up truck full of rocks the size of golf balls down into a crowded mall. I was actually walking through my store headed to the mall exit when I heard this enormous rumble, assumed it was just thunder, until I heard people screaming and panicking. Of course I had to have a look, quite entertaining.

There's also a mental hospital nearby. Yeah. Now I understand that this isn't something that should really be made fun of and all that, but I am honestly amazed they let this lady go out in public. She comes to the mall EVERY day and thinks the CIA is after her for something. She carries around one of those suitcases on wheels with just a ton of stuff, like it's fully loaded. This wouldn't be too bad, except she will carry on conversations with several of her personalities at once, at the top of her lungs in the middle of the mall! You can't help but listen in when something like that goes on, and she makes no sense whatsoever, I remember her saying something like "that was on page 117 of your book! and that's a coincidence cuz my birthday is january 17th, OR 1/17!!!!" Weird stuff. She also seems to take notes of her conversations, in complete chicken scratch.

This is more of a customer related story, but it fits in well with the HTF. Fall 2000, It's a Sunday (notorious day for crazy stuff at this mall). This old lady bought a new TV a few days earlier and was trying to watch the Broncos game on Ch. 31. Just running off an antenna. Somehow or another the auto channel program got screwed up and she couldn't get to 31. So she calls up wanting to know how to get to 31. So after figuring out what was going and realizing that explaining the auto channel program would be a waste of time, one of the guys i work with tells her to just punch in 31 on the remote. There's a long pause, "but, umm, the remote only goes up to 9." Yeah.

Let's see. Then there's the people who don't see the signs saying "NO STROLLERS ON ESCALATORS" but still proceed to squeeze their strollers into our tiny little escalators, tires rubbing all over the place. Several have actually tipped over spilling the child down a couple stairs on the escalator, thank god they ended up being ok. One guy actually ended up tumbling the whole flight of stairs, cracked his head open at the bottom, scary stuff. A couple weeks ago I guess our escalator ate a guy's galosh (or whatever the singular form of galoshes is).

Watching accidents in the parking lot is always fun too. They thing that really chaps my hide about the parking lot though is when people go the wrong way down the aisles! Ugh, did they not see the arrows pointing the other direction and did they not notice they would have to make a 209 point turn to make into the empty spots?

There's a lot more that I could come up with I'm sure, but its 3:30 am right now.