What's new

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Albany County is booked up through April, and NYC's department of health has been canceling appointments left and right because the actual vaccine doses delivered by the feds have been significantly fewer than what New York State anticipated. So unless production and distribution ramp up significantly, I don't see New York State moving to another round until May.
Listening to Howard Stern, a few of the folks that work on that show have been getting vaccinated (due to health problems or age) in NYC but they said they were told by workers that a huge problem was people cancelling their appointments and then those doses of the vaccine have to get thrown away because it's been thawed and they aren't allowed to give it to anyone else. I'd rather they give it to a healthy young guy walking down the street over literally destroying it.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Listening to Howard Stern, a few of the folks that work on that show have been getting vaccinated (due to health problems or age) in NYC but they said they were told by workers that a huge problem was people cancelling their appointments and then those doses of the vaccine have to get thrown away because it's been thawed and they aren't allowed to give it to anyone else. I'd rather they give it to a healthy young guy walking down the street over literally destroying it.
If that is true then it is horrid and the folks cancelling should be held accountable, barring a verifiable emergency. It also seems like the thawed vacinne should still be good within a certain timeframe and I'm sure others are waiting.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If that is true then it is horrid and the folks cancelling should be held accountable, barring a verifiable emergency. It also seems like the thawed vacinne should still be good within a certain timeframe and I'm sure others are waiting.
I agree (and obviously, I can't verify that it is or isn't true) and I'm sure that the healthcare workers tossing the vaccines feel the same but I assume they're precluded from giving it to anyone that isn't on the list of approved people. Even if the number of vaccines being junked is small, one is too many to waste at this point.

Mike2001

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
In LA standby vaccination lines have become a thing with 20 to 30 people a day being pulled from the lines to avoid wasting doses. (20 to 30 people a day is a drop in the bucket for LA, but at least the doses are getting used.)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
My employer informed us that we have been confirmed by the state as essential workers and are now in phase 1C for Maryland. This phase commences on Monday. I'm not sure that this means much to be honest. The process here is once you our eligible you enroll online (I think) and then the county will let you know when they're ready for you....

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, it's pretty stupid that some states are basically telling people that their lives are not valuable enough if they don't fall into the right categories. We'd rather throw the vaccine into the trash than give it to someone like you.

That’s what’s happening in NY and it’s bizarre. They’re letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. And the fines and penalties they have for giving out the vaccine to someone not yet eligible are so strict that it’s been reported vaccine has been wasted because the people administering the shots are so afraid of getting into trouble for giving it to the wrong person.

I’m not trying to jump the line and I’ll patiently wait my turn, but that’s ridiculous.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I'm in Dallas. I'm scheduled for the first shot Tuesday.
I've received all my vaccinations throughout my life, and I'm still here at 70+; no side effects, ever.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
That’s what’s happening in NY and it’s bizarre. They’re letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. And the fines and penalties they have for giving out the vaccine to someone not yet eligible are so strict that it’s been reported vaccine has been wasted because the people administering the shots are so afraid of getting into trouble for giving it to the wrong person.

I’m not trying to jump the line and I’ll patiently wait my turn, but that’s ridiculous.
This sort of thing almost makes me want to request a one hour moratorium on our no Politics policy. Almost... :)

jayembee

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jerry
Well, the good news is that I've registered to get a Covid vaccine shot, and scheduled an appointment.

The bad news (well, not bad per se, but could be better) is that the first appointment I could get is on March 17.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Well, the good news is that I've registered to get a Covid vaccine shot, and scheduled an appointment.

The bad news (well, not bad per se, but could be better) is that the first appointment I could get is on March 17.
Will be here sooner than you know. Clearly there's room for improvement in the execution of vaccinations but this is an unprecedented [in our lifetimes anyway] situation. Hopefully we learn from it.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It might be difficult for the young guy to get the second dose since he’s not in the right group.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It might be difficult for the young guy to get the second dose since he’s not in the right group.
You're right but over throwing any of the vaccine away, I'd say it's that guy's lucky day and he's now in line for that second dose. Needless to say, that would complicate an already difficult distribution plan but in my mind, pretty much anything is better than wasting it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
From what I’ve heard in NY state at least, when you go for the first dose, they schedule you for the second one there. So if there’s a reason to give it to someone outside the immediate category (like it’s going to go to waste so better to give it to someone than no one), that individual is still going to be scheduled for the second shot right then so in theory they should get it just fine. I’ve read that they’re expanding to the next category in NY specifically for instances where they just have to get rid of vaccine before it goes bad and can’t find someone in the first priority group to give it to.

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
My wife just got her second dose of the Moderna vaccine. Side effects a little worse than the first dose. Stomach issues. Fatigue. Aches. Sore arm. Chills. Poor girl. :(

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member