What's new

Mysto

Screenwriter
Real Name
marv long
John -thanks and me too! She also says she is having incredible back pain. As you say, hopefully over quickly.
Based on a couple of friends experience, it will all pass and tomorrow be a memory. It means her body is setting up defenses. That's a good thing but sorry she is in pain.

Mark Booth

Premium
Does it seem logical to anyone else that the younger a person is, the stronger their immune system, the harder their body will work to set up the defenses? Conversely, older folks or those with weaker immune systems might not have as much chance for strong side effects?

I know a couple of nurses in their 60s that have already received both of their vaccines and they reported nothing more than a sore arm.

Mark

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sounds somewhat logical, but I'm not sure reactions can be ascribed solely to age. They did say some people might have short-term fever and body aches as a reaction, but I'm not sure they've drawn any conclusions as to why this affects some but not others.

There are some that claim similar reactions to the influenza vaccine, but I've never had any reaction to a flu shot that I've had every year for 25+ years now. My 76-year-old father refuses to get the flu shot, even with COVID around, because he supposedly had a bad reaction to a flu vaccine back in the 1970's, though neither my mother or I recall what he describes (basically being bedridden and unable to speak for a week). No idea if he'll be agreeable to the COVID vaccine or not, whenever he's eligible (which given his age and heart-related problems, he should be at the front of the line for the first batch of regular citizens).

Mysto

Screenwriter
Real Name
marv long
Sounds somewhat logical, but I'm not sure reactions can be ascribed solely to age. They did say some people might have short-term fever and body aches as a reaction, but I'm not sure they've drawn any conclusions as to why this affects some but not others.

There are some that claim similar reactions to the influenza vaccine, but I've never had any reaction to a flu shot that I've had every year for 25+ years now. My 76-year-old father refuses to get the flu shot, even with COVID around, because he supposedly had a bad reaction to a flu vaccine back in the 1970's, though neither my mother or I recall what he describes (basically being bedridden and unable to speak for a week). No idea if he'll be agreeable to the COVID vaccine or not, whenever he's eligible (which given his age and heart-related problems, he should be at the front of the line for the first batch of regular citizens).
Malcolm, if you are in the US the priority from the government is first line workers and then people over 75 which would put your father in line. It does depend on the individual states as to their rules though.
I live in a 55 plus city with half the population being over 72. A few weeks ago many were telling me they would not get the $%#@^ vaccine. Now they are bitching they are unable to get through to book an appointment to get the shot. Your father may surprise you.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Our governor added School personnel to the "critical support" list for vaccinations today. I've put myself on the pharmacy's list (my pharmacy is a primary distribution center) as well as the school's list (and will cancel whichever doesn't call me first). I expect to get the first shot within the next week or so.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm scheduled to get my first injection tomorrow today at 3:30pm (just got a call that they told me the wrong day - this is better). It will be the Pfizer formulation.

**UPDATE**
Got the shot - didn't feel a thing... at all. The nurse gave the injection and asked "Did you feel anything?" - "No - not at all! You're very good!" - "I've had lots of experience!" and chuckled. If it weren't for the few drops of blood I'd have said she faked it - it was that unnoticeable. I waited my obligatory 15 minutes and left. 2nd injection is scheduled 3 weeks from today at the same bat time, same bat location.

So now the wait to see how sore my arm will be tomorrow. Right now, nothing.

Last edited:

jayembee

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jerry
In the New Hampshire Governor's latest press conference, he said that on the 22nd, they'll start taking vaccination appointment requests for residents 65 and over. The vaccinations themselves will start being given on the 26th. I plan to schedule for one as soon as their website starts taking requests. I hope my parents-in-law can get scheduled soonest.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Today - slight soreness in the arm at the injection site, as to be expected. No other symptoms/issues. I'd liken it to how it feels when you run into the cabinet (likely the same as when one of John's brother's punches your arm) - but no bruise. Unless I think about it or move my arm in a specific direction I really don't notice it at all.

Mysto

Screenwriter
Real Name
marv long
Today - slight soreness in the arm at the injection site, as to be expected. No other symptoms/issues. I'd liken it to how it feels when you run into the cabinet (likely the same as when one of John's brother's punches your arm) - but no bruise. Unless I think about it or move my arm in a specific direction I really don't notice it at all.
But wait until you hear the voices. :rolling-smiley:
Glad you got the shot - within 2-3 weeks you'll be at about 50% just in time for the booster. Well done.

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
I know the first couple of vaccines showed over 90% effectiveness, but I recall some later vaccines being developed were lower in effectiveness rates. Some falling as low as in the sixty percent range.

For those, I have found the perfect spokesman for their vaccine rollout.
:laugh:

Also they should definitely call the less effective vaccine "Sex Panther".

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Convinced my mother that getting vaccinated is the way to go, but she says my father has somehow managed to read about lots of young people dropping dead after getting vaccinated for this and vehemently refused when she talked to him about getting the shot.

Going to be fun convincing him that he's reading deliberate misinformation. So far other than one tragic case in the US that isn't 100% as of yet linked to the vaccination that the man had received (But sadly sounds like it probably was) out of 10 million or so individuals, only less than 30 individuals have had severe allergic reactions I've read.

The rest range from no symptoms to traditional after effects of getting any vaccination (Soreness at the injection site, a temporary fever the next day, etc.). Not sure where he's been looking, but he seems to think the bodies are stacking up outside of vaccination centers.

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
I mean every single vaccine is like that. There's this tiny chance of something bad happening, which is more than offset (theoretically) by the much higher chance that something bad is going to happen if you don't get vaccinated and contract the disease.

Like wearing seat belts. Is there the random chance that a seat belt will cause injury? Sure. But does it beat flying out of your front windshield? Yup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvin christ