What's new

The COVID Vaccination Thread (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
@Jeff Brooks for what it’s worth, my dad and stepmom both got J&J. My dad is pretty healthy for a guy in his 60s who smoked more years than not, and he didn’t have a reaction. My stepmom is a cancer survivor with some other underlying health issues, and she felt fatigued after, ended up going to bed early and sleeping in the next day (something she normally never does) but was back to normal within 24-48 hours. Neither regretted it.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
We finally managed to get scheduled for the J&J shot at Publix for Sunday. With some recent stories in the news about problems with J&J reactions, my wife is having second thoughts. Should we be concerned?
I had the J&J vaccine on Wednesday and started experiencing some flu-like symptoms around eleven hours later (headache, body aches, chills, etc.). Yesterday, I had some minor aches and nausea. Today, I'm about 90% of where I normally am physically. Do I have any regets about getting the vaccine? Not at all.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Lost in all of this (re: how masks are being equated as a political statement) is the fact that we essentially didn't have a flu season due to people staying home and being masked when going outside.

This should be an object lesson for society to allow people to stay home from work when they're ill, rather than the common "we tough it out when we're sick" mentality. And if you absolutely have to go in to work while sick, wear a mask. But really, workplaces should give people PTO because it ends up costing the economy more to have a sickened workforce than to give people days off.
Problem is, a lot of places are already chronically understaffed so employees feel pressured either by management or by themselves to go in to work sick. I know I’m guilty of it and have gone to work sick many times because we were so short handed.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
My wife got the J&J at her doctor this morning, and I got the J&J at a vaccination drive-thru event at Nike HQ that I was able to get an appointment for this same day. There were A TON of cars going through the grounds, but it seemed quite efficient, and it took about 15 minutes of stop and go to get to the actual vaccine station, then another 15 minutes to get out. Got it about 2 hours ago.

I’m not sure how long I’ve qualified to get it as things keep changing in my state, but my wife found some literature at her doctor this morning that states my level of working status (manufacturing) is finally qualified for the vaccine. I’m really glad as I’ve had to work during the whole pandemic without any closures/work from home options at my work.

There was a sharp stinging feeling for a while afterwards but now it only stings a little if I’m moving in just the right way. I’ll see how I feel tomorrow...

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
My son-in-law, who participated in the Pfizer trials and did not get the placebo, is now participating in the next test. He got it on Wednesday and on Thursday he had a low-grade fever, severe fatigue, chills and aches. I guess he didn't get the placebo this time either.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
My son-in-law, who participated in the Pfizer trials and did not get the placebo, is now participating in the next test. He got it on Wednesday and on Thursday he had a low-grade fever, severe fatigue, chills and aches. I guess he didn't get the placebo this time either.
I definitely got the real deal, too! Nothing really out of the ordinary; my left deltoid started feeling tender late last night, and the yucky phlegmy, slightly head-achy feeling came on in the wee hours, not unlike the feeling I get 24 to 48 hours into a round of antibiotics. This, and my sore arm will pass in a day or two, I expect.

The Oxford Astra-Zeneca vaccine is doing its thing, and my body is responding accordingly!

CHEERS! :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Another small bit of anecdotal evidence. Two close friends got moderna vaccines Thursday and Friday. Both felt mild but noticeable side effects (aches, headaches, one did have nausea). Both are women, one early thirties the other early forties. This continues my personal observation, limited only to my friends and family group, that Moderna tended to be the one with more noticeable side effects and primarily has affected the women more severely than the men in my circle of friends.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I got my Pfizer doses on 27 February and 20 March. I've suffered from insomnia for years but my insomnia throughout March was the worst I've endured. I wonder whether the vaccine had played a part in this. I'm just now getting better and sleeping more normally most nights.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I got my Pfizer doses on 27 February and 20 March. I've suffered from insomnia for years but my insomnia throughout March was the worst I've endured. I wonder whether the vaccine had played a part in this. I'm just now getting better and sleeping more normally most nights.
It's hard to say how big a role the Pfizer doses played, and how much derived from general COVID related fear and anxiety. In any case, I'm glad to hear your insomnia suffering has mostly passed for you! :thumbsup:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
From what I understand, the next phase of Pfizer's trials is testing two different things: a booster in the original vaccine arm to extend immunity over the longer term, and a booster that targets the South African variant (against which the Pfizer vaccine is less effective than the other strains).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
A co-worker had his second shot on Thursday, then left work early on Friday saying he didn't feel well but didn't elaborate on his symptoms.

Or maybe he just wanted an excuse to check out early on a beautiful warm and sunny Friday afternoon. :D

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
A co-worker had his second shot on Thursday, then left work early on Friday saying he didn't feel well but didn't elaborate on his symptoms.

Or maybe he just wanted an excuse to check out early on a beautiful warm and sunny Friday afternoon. :D
Kidding aside, it could have been a general yucky feeling, which is basically what I had yesterday. That and a low grade headache that wouldn't quit!

Friday was absolutely gorgeous! A great day to get vaccinated (And to leave work early, if it applies!)! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
My wife and I got our second shots of Moderna yesterday morning. We both have sore arms and I had a mild fever and general achy feeling. Nothing debilitating but it did disrupt my sleep last night. I took a nap this afternoon and woke up feeling good.
Extra sleep seems to help. Glad to hear you both got your second shots!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks