The COVID Vaccination Thread (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I really need to find some way to convince this person in particular. I'm at a loss how to do that. How do you convey to someone who is positively convinced they are taking the high moral ground that in fact they are doing the opposite?
If they know the facts and choose to interpret them differently, you won't change their mind so my advice would be to move on to others who might be more receptive. In the end we're looking for numbers, not individuals.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I suspect that John had it right when he said a "general penchant for non-conformance". The vaccine, like masks, has become a political statement. The "reasoning" for it is irrelevant. I can't help but think of Sterling Hayden in Dr. Strangelove going on about the corruption of our precious bodily fluids.
Great movie. Great analogy!!!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Lost in all of this (re: how masks are being equated as a political statement) is the fact that we essentially didn't have a flu season due to people staying home and being masked when going outside.

This should be an object lesson for society to allow people to stay home from work when they're ill, rather than the common "we tough it out when we're sick" mentality. And if you absolutely have to go in to work while sick, wear a mask. But really, workplaces should give people PTO because it ends up costing the economy more to have a sickened workforce than to give people days off.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Lost in all of this (re: how masks are being equated as a political statement) is the fact that we essentially didn't have a flu season due to people staying home and being masked when going outside.

This should be an object lesson for society to allow people to stay home from work when they're ill, rather than the common "we tough it out when we're sick" mentality. And if you absolutely have to go in to work while sick, wear a mask. But really, workplaces should give people PTO because it ends up costing the economy more to have a sickened workforce than to give people days off.
In late 2019 didn't something spread and pretty much wipe out your entire office?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

100% this.

I don’t think I’ve ever held a job that came with sick days where the corporate culture encouraged people to actually use them. That needs to change immediately.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
In late 2019 didn't something spread and pretty much wipe out your entire office?
Yes (and part of me wants to believe it was early COVID since she came back from a vacation in parts of China and Japan). But I'm talking about the 2020-21 flu season, which was essentially a non-season. We weren't masking/social distancing in late 2019.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
100% this.

I don’t think I’ve ever held a job that came with sick days where the corporate culture encouraged people to actually use them. That needs to change immediately.
Well one problem is most people don't want to "waste" sick days on when they are sick. ;)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes (and part of me wants to believe it was early COVID since she came back from a vacation in parts of China and Japan). But I'm talking about the 2020-21 flu season, which was essentially a non-season. We weren't masking/social distancing in late 2019.
Well, that isn't all you talked about. I was actually referring to "This should be an object lesson for society to allow people to stay home from work when they're ill, rather than the common "we tough it out when we're sick" mentality".

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well, that isn't all you talked about. I was actually referring to "This should be an object lesson for society to allow people to stay home from work when they're ill, rather than the common "we tough it out when we're sick" mentality".
Oh well yes, and it was an object lesson as to what I was saying. And in her defense she was literally at work one day and hit most of us (even though we aren't all sitting that close together) which is why I am only half-joking that it could have been covid, because it spread so brutally fast. She stayed home the following days, but one day was all it took. She initially thought it may have just been allergies or maybe a common cold. We were much more innocent in 2019 (and we have a very generous PTO policy for both vacation and sick). She didn't think it was anything horrible on the day she came in, and woke up feeling much worse the second day and stayed home.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of being more innocent (or maybe naive is a better term) in the past...so now I'm ten days past my second dose, and I know I don't have covid. However I do take a pill for which a side effect is a chronic, but infrequent, cough. When I'm outside and have to cough, I'm super paranoid about it now, whereas before March 2020 I never gave it a second thought.

Nate Bargatze, the comedian, has a new Netflix special and he addresses pretty much how coughing in public is a non starter now.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Speaking of being more innocent (or maybe naive is a better term) in the past...so now I'm ten days past my second dose, and I know I don't have covid. However I do take a pill for which a side effect is a chronic, but infrequent, cough. When I'm outside and have to cough, I'm super paranoid about it now, whereas before March 2020 I never gave it a second thought.

Nate Bargatze, the comedian, has a new Netflix special and he addresses pretty much how coughing in public is a non starter now.
With my environmental allergies and the annoying accompanying tendency to phlegm up, I'm all too self aware now. On my way back from a short, but necessary COVID-19 Vaccine related errand, it was so bad, I was very tempted to pull down my mask and discreetly cough it out, but the presence of nearby city workers clearing up some foliage rendered that an utter impossibility. Before March 2020, I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought.

A bit more off topic, but speaking of allergies, I've just recently been scheduled for an allergy test in late August.

CHEERS! :)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

Because the corporate culture assumes that employees will take a "sick day" when they're not actually sick, just to have an extra day off now and then. And that's just...unacceptable!

At one point, because of the person she immediately reported to at the time, my wife was able to call in and say, "I need a Mental Health Day today," and her supervisor would allow it. What she really wanted to say, but couldn't quite bring herself to do it, was, "I'm too well to come in today."

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm actually getting TWO needles today: The first one being at my Family Doctors office for the Oxford Astra-Zeneca vaccine, and a previously scheduled appointment for blood work that could not be changed!

Not all of the potential sub-sequential over-tiredness will be from the COVID vaccine! :P

P.S. I'll try and keep everyone appraised in regards to any side effects that I may experience, but most of all, if I start speaking like "Lord Paddington" in "A Chump At Oxford (1940)!" (Thanks, Terry!) :D
bc354-a-chump-at-oxford.jpg

"Lord Paddington" (Stan Laurel) on the right!

Last edited:

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
I'm actually getting TWO needles today: The first one being at my Family Doctors office for the Oxford Astra-Zeneca vaccine, and a previously scheduled appointment for blood work that could not be changed!

Not all of the potential sub-sequential over-tiredness will be from the COVID vaccine! :P

P.S. I'll try and keep everyone appraised in regards to any side effects that I may experience, but most of all, if I start speaking like "Lord Paddington" in "A Chump At Oxford (1940)!" (Thanks, Terry!) :D
View attachment 94340
"Lord Paddington" (Stan Laurel) on the right!
Just be happy that Stan and Ollie aren't taking you to the dentist.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Oxford Astra-Zeneca Vaccine Pilot Recipient #1 for our Medical Clinic:
IMG_20210409_125132.jpg

IMG_20210409_124954.jpg

According to my Proof of Vaccination info, I must return to the same location for my second dose Friday, July 30, 2021 at 1:00 PM! This is one of only 7 clinics in London-Middlesex currently offering the Oxford Astra-Zeneca vaccine to their eligible patients.

That I got ridiculously lucky in getting vaccinated at this stage isn't at all lost on me! I just hope this happens in a big way for everyone else real soon!!

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
We finally managed to get scheduled for the J&J shot at Publix for Sunday. With some recent stories in the news about problems with J&J reactions, my wife is having second thoughts. Should we be concerned?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wouldn’t be - the number of reactions reported in the past few days are statistically insignificant relative to the number of doses given out, and all fell within the range of expected side effects. To me, it shows that the system is working - when you get the vaccine, you’re asked to hang around for 15 minutes to make sure that there isn’t a severe reaction. For the dozen or so people who had a reaction, it was within that time window and they were given appropriate treatment. Most were fine after just a little bit of juice and crackers, and a couple were taken to the hospital out of an abundance of caution but turned out to be fine in the end.

As inconvenient or unpleasant as that may be for those handful of folks, taking the shot and having that reaction is still a far less harmful consequence than not being vaccinated and getting covid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks