What's new

The COVID Vaccination Thread (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It is something I didn't hear lot about. I keep hearing great to get the elderly their vaccination shot, but the stress of the heavy side effects (to some frail old people) and the toll it takes on them is scary.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Early this month, I got an appointment for my 86-year-old father to get his vaccination shot at the local Health Department. I took him there, and he casually asked the nurse if I could get one as well. She was fine with the idea, especially since my father and I live in the same house, which qualified me as a 'care-giver.' So, I went ahead and took it, even though I'm in healthy shape and well younger than the age-range category. The place wasn't crowded, as it had just recently started operations, and I got the sense they had an excess allotment they needed to use up before its due-date. So anyway, I got that first (Pfizer) dosage as well as my father, and neither of us had any reaction to it.

This past Tuesday, my father and I got our 2nd dosage. No reaction for the first 12 hours. Then, wham. Felt rotten and achy for the next 16 hours. My father got chills. I didn't. But I got a pretty annoying headache, and a ringing in my ears, which was most odd for me. Aching back. Yeah, it made for a rather miserable day, although nothing outlandishly incapacitating or anything. Aches and discomfort were gone the next day, but did have a residual feeling of tiredness. Then, the following day, everything back to normal.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It seems like doctors generally say that reaction is a good thing, as it shows your immune system is revving up to fight the invaders. You may feel like crap for a couple of days, but hopefully it will protect you against bigger problems in the future.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My parents, 86 and 87, got theirs a couple of weeks before me and neither had any side effects with either shot, or wouldn't admit to any when I asked. Both had the Pfizer. Both are generally healthy though mom does have a pacemaker (just wearing out and beating slowly at times causing fatigue).

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
It seems like doctors generally say that reaction is a good thing, as it shows your immune system is revving up to fight the invaders. You may feel like crap for a couple of days, but hopefully it will protect you against bigger problems in the future.
I wonder whether NOT having a reaction implies you previously had a symptomless case of Covid.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Got my second shot this afternoon. I think I spent more time in the parking garage than in the hospital itself. My arm started hurting a lot sooner this time. Although now that I think about it, I got the shot about an hour earlier this time.

I've heard all sort of stories about reactions, so I can't draw any conclusions. A couple of my wife's co-workers who definitely had COVID prior to getting the vaccine got knocked on their butts for at least two full days after their second shot. My wife only had about 24 hours of feeling bad. But then someone I work with was talking about his elderly parents who got the shot last week and were up and ready to go the next day like nothing was wrong.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
My mom is feeling better. Reason I worried is because she has such a high tolerance for pain. She used to grind through stomach flu, and terrible colds like they were nothing. So when she said she was in a lot of pain, and weak I was worried (and she never complains when she is sick).

A few hours after she got the shot she developed a fever of 101, couldn't sleep that night because the pain was too bad (even with Tylenol pain reliever) she fell from being so weak, but luckily the couch broke her fall, and was just in terrible misery for well over a day. I'm glad she is on the mend, and pray no one else with elderly parents/grandparents has to go through that kind of worry.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I haven't heard of any issues related to food/drink and the vaccine, so I think you're fine. :D

The only issues around me with the first dose of Pfizer have been slight soreness of the arm that was injected. Lasts a day or so.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The only side effects with alcohol & vaccine that I've read about is the one guy that drank some red wine the same day he got his shot and his Johnson rod shriveled up and fell of that night! Other than that, it's safe!

:)

Mark

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well there's this....

The Russians say abstain from alcohol for 2 months after the vaccine. The Brits say a couple of weeks. The US says don't worry.

The Russians drink the most. The Brits drink less. The US drinks less than either.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I woke up this morning feeling completely normal except for very slight discomfort in the area of the injection.

So, for me, side effects from Pfizer #2 started about 12 hours after the shot and lasted for approximately 30 hours (give or take).

Now to wait for the booster shot (shot #3) that Pfizer will almost certainly announce to tackle the North African variant strain. Modern announced its booster shot today.

Mark

I guess it was good that you chose to do your shopping on Monday before getting the shot. :)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
My wife received her second Pfizer shot (on her leg) yesterday. Apart from soreness on the spot where she got the shot, no other symptoms.
I received my second Moderna shot this morning. Arm is sore. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Following shot #2 on Friday, I had a bit of a headache most of Saturday and Sunday (gone by dinnertime). But I seem to have developed a mild sore throat, if I can even call it that. But that could also be coincidental timing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks