What's new

The COVID Vaccination Thread (2 Viewers)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Post Removed by Moderator

If you look at ranking of % of dose administered vs. received, CA is 47/50. Which obviously is still way lower than any resident wants.

But if you dig a little deeper and look at it as raw numbers, CA has administered 2.2M of 4.9M received doses. Now the top 18 states have all received well below 1M doses to administer, some under 100K. Think about the infrastructure needed to administer 2.2M doses, which is as many roughly as the "top 9" states in those rankings combined.

CA has many problems, and vaccine distribution has been way less than perfect and needs great improvement. But it's also the most populous state (one in 9 Americans live here), in the third largest geographic area, so I think it's a little oversimplistic to say "I wonder why" and then put an emoji that's bordering on offensive depending on how you mean it...and on second thought I don't think I want to know how you mean it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Our healthcare provider (HMO) is lagging other providers in the pace of vaccines. 4-5 days ago, California said everyone 65 and older is now eligible but our HMO is still making appointments only for 75 and older. They cite lack of enough vaccine as the reason.

My wife is 65, I'm 64. Hopefully, we'll be able to make an appointment for her very soon. At the pace things are going, I'm getting the feeling that I won't get the vaccine until March or April.

Meanwhile, I am aware of friends that have lied while answering certain qualification questions and made appointments to get the vaccine well ahead of their proper place in line. One of them outright suggested that I do the same. Nope, won't do that.

Mark

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Got my Dad scheduled for the vaccine later in February. Not too bad considering registration has been open for about 5 days (though strictly for 75+ years old only).

I asked him last weekend if he wanted me to schedule him when registration began on Monday, and he didn't sound sure that he wanted to get it so I didn't do anything. Then he asks me yesterday if I had scheduled his appointment. :rolleyes:

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Got the first shot of Moderna today. A pretty efficient set up, once I was able to get there. Didn't even really feel the needle going in. I was a little paranoid for a while, not sure if I had actually gotten any and that any arm pain was just in my head. But a couple hours later during dinner, I suddenly got that feeling like I'd been punched in the arm.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Got my first vaccine (Moderna) Jan. 14th and the second shot is due Feb 11th. At this time I don't have a clue how or where I'm going to get that second shot. It's very uncertain here in SoCal. Every list is full and there's no explanation of what to do. Oh well, if I miss the second dose by too many days I guess I'll have to start over.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Got my first vaccine (Moderna) Jan. 14th and the second shot is due Feb 11th. At this time I don't have a clue how or where I'm going to get that second shot. It's very uncertain here in SoCal. Every list is full and there's no explanation of what to do. Oh well, if I miss the second dose by too many days I guess I'll have to start over.

Every friend of mine that has already received the first shot was given a future date and appointment time for the second shot at the same time they received the first shot.

I'm surprised your county or HMO (or whatever you used) didn't do the same. Frankly, stupid and weird that they didn't.

Mark

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
You're nearing the home stretch! Did they mention when peak protection takes effect after the second dose? Was it around 2 weeks? If so, be very safe between now and then (and still PPE up afterwards as studies haven't yet confirmed that even if you're protected by the vaccine that you can't transmit it). Hopefully studies will confirm what we all are praying for, and that's the vaccine also prevents transmission as well as symptoms/hospitalization. Fingers crossed!

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
If that is true then it is horrid and the folks cancelling should be held accountable, barring a verifiable emergency. It also seems like the thawed vacinne should still be good within a certain timeframe and I'm sure others are waiting.
Send people who don't show up a bill for their dose.

My wife just got her second dose of the Moderna vaccine. Side effects a little worse than the first dose. Stomach issues. Fatigue. Aches. Sore arm. Chills. Poor girl. :(
I just got my first one yesterday, and today I feel as bad as I did when I had the virus in November. I certainly hope the second shot isn't worse.

---------------

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
You're nearing the home stretch! Did they mention when peak protection takes effect after the second dose? Was it around 2 weeks? If so, be very safe between now and then (and still PPE up afterwards as studies haven't yet confirmed that even if you're protected by the vaccine that you can't transmit it). Hopefully studies will confirm what we all are praying for, and that's the vaccine also prevents transmission as well as symptoms/hospitalization. Fingers crossed!
He should use safe behavior until this pandemic is over, particularly in light of these new, deadlier variants. That situation was already bad enough. Pfizer is already working on a booster for the variant. What if covid keeps mutating and we end up playing a deadly whack-a-mole?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Every friend of mine that has already received the first shot was given a future date and appointment time for the second shot at the same time they received the first shot.

I'm surprised your county or HMO (or whatever you used) didn't do the same. Frankly, stupid and weird that they didn't.

Mark
That's what they did here. My 2nd shot is this coming Thursday afternoon and was scheduled during the call to schedule the 1st. I mentioned to a coworker I was glad it's a Thursday so it'll be easier to just take Friday off should any ill effects hit.

I also found out yesterday that my department at work (IT - 11 of us including our boss) is 100% in getting the vaccine. The last 3 got their first shot yesterday.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
Received my first dose of Moderna on Jan. 5th. I went on line and immediately scheduled dose #2 on Feb. 18th. The only side effect was a sore arm for about 24 hours.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
The word here is two weeks but we plan to still wear masks and social distance afterwards. The difference is that we may actually go to a grocery store (safely) - so far we have only done pick up. We have really stayed in place. Any outing will be exciting. :banana:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The word here is two weeks but we plan to still wear masks and social distance afterwards. The difference is that we may actually go to a grocery store (safely) - so far we have only done pick up. We have really stayed in place. Any outing will be exciting. :banana:
Even when my wife completes her shots (and we don’t know when that will happen) we plan on not going into stores, wearing masks, and social distancing. The new variants are more contagious and may be more deadly. Dr. Fauci has said one of the variants will be the dominant covid virus sometime in March. There’s still too much risk. We’ve started double masking too.

• Appreciate

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks