What's new

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Thanks for the review. I love this film and am anxiously awaiting my copy of the blu-ray.

Regarding the film's budget I found this interesting article from the AFI which cites "the file on the film in the Paramount Collection at the AMPAS Library". That seems to give the figures at least an air of authority. I know budgets can be framed in different ways for different audiences. So maybe it's more like "hot air" of authority :). And I further know I'm supremely ignorant on these matters compared to others in this thread.

Anyway, for what it's worth, it notes an initial production budget quoted from said file of just under $2.5 million for 48 days of shooting, but then goes on to say:

So, while not a clear source for where the 4M number might have come from, it's at least approaching the neighborhood.
That is $4M, rounded. I’m a corporate financial analyst and have been number crunching the last 2 months and we round all the time in supportive notes to financial statements. Also the numbers make sense especially if they incurred a lot of overtime (48days budgeted vs 76actual!) and with all those tricky directed sequences like the fencing mentioned. Just that title sequence alone cost quite a sum.
On another note only 2 more months left of craziness and stress for me- it will be over after the 1st quarter closes!

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I pre-ordered this the day it was up on Amazon. While I would have liked a bit more substantial supplements, not to mention a Perspecta option for the sound... it's wonderful to finally get rid of the 4th oldest DVD in my collection and from a beautiful new 4K restoration.

Yeah, I had the same DVD, which was soft and faded. This Blu is revelatory. On my display, it comes across as pinkish (especially flesh tones), but that can be remedied with tint control. This color really looks like Technicolor. Sharp as a razor edge, thanks to VistaVision. Beautiful release. Keep it up, Paramount Presents! I look forward to DRAGONSLAYER.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I just wish the powers that be are willing to continue with BLDs for his Secret Life of Walter Mitty and The Inspector General!!

Attachments

• 51d0glYGw+L.jpg
    51d0glYGw+L.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 889290005304.jpg
    889290005304.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 32

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
So I just bought it on Amazon for $12.99. To buy it streaming is $13.99. A bit strange. Also it is rated PG-13. Is there an F bomb in it?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So I just bought it on Amazon for $12.99. To buy it streaming is $13.99. A bit strange. Also it is rated PG-13. Is there an F bomb in it?
That's not strange at all. Amazon is currently having a Paramount Presents sale in which most of those titles are on sale for $12.99. The stream is being sold at that price point, but it's not a sale price. In prior sales on iTunes I've seen it as low as $4.99 on iTunes.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I was joking clearly. But how Does The Court Jester get even a PG rating let alone a PG-13?

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
That's not strange at all. Amazon is currently having a Paramount Presents sale in which most of those titles are on sale for $12.99. The stream is being sold at that price point, but it's not a sale price. In prior sales on iTunes I've seen it as low as $4.99 on iTunes.

I did not know this. I'll have to look at other Paramount titles.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
When I was a small boy I saw Glynis Johns in Mary Poppins. Then when I was a boy/teen I saw her in A Little Night Music. She is now 99. And I am a ... She's awfully pretty there. And she's outlived everybody.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
When I was a small boy I saw Glynis Johns in Mary Poppins. Then when I was a boy/teen I saw her in A Little Night Music. She is now 99. And I am a ... She's awfully pretty there. And she's outlived everybody.
. . . . and she was also in that Christmas/New Year movie While You Were Sleeping. It's that time of year!

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
Glynis Johns was in many British films of the forties, sometimes with her father, Mervyn. Try THE HALFWAY HOUSE. My favourite of hers from that period is MIRANDA, in which she plays a mermaid. As was said about Esther Williams:

'Wet, she's a star'

She was the original Desiree Armfeldt in A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC but only in New York so I didn't work with her, when I was sound operator for part of the London run.

uncledougie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
It would be a shame to deny yourself the pleasure of this film because of the lack of Perspecta sound.
“Unlike true stereophonic sound, which would be described as discrete tracks running in synchronization in time and phase, Perspecta merely panned a mono mix across various channels. Because of this, only isolated dialogue or sound effects could be mixed to be directional. Mixed sound effects, dialogue and music could not be suitably mixed.” Wikipedia
Yes, if the tracks were still available, ideally they should’ve included them, but what is provided sounds quite good, and the picture quality is spectacular. It’s probably Danny Kaye’s zenith in starring comedic roles, the supporting cast is wonderful, and the result is a joy from start to finish. I’ve also been disappointed at releases which omitted original surround tracks (e.g. Nicholas and Alexandra and others), but if that’s all that’s available and the film is otherwise restored or remastered, I give it a pass until a future further corrected release comes to pass (which is usually never).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.