1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Cotton Club Encore - Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by t1g3r5fan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. t1g3r5fan

t1g3r5fan Supporting Actor
    Reviewer

Mychal Bowden
    dpippel likes this.
  2. david hare

david hare Supporting Actor

david hare
    Thx for this, I agree with all your comments. I only wish the 4K option gad been extended from streaming only to UHD disc.

3. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Excellent review.

I saw this film for the first time on 4k digital last week, motivated by all the positive reviews from members of this forum.

I can't say I loved the film. Didn't hate it either.

It just seemed the actors were miscast or badly acting. I just didn't buy into these characters.

The dance numbers were excellent. I love the feel of the club itself.

The 4k seemed to be wasted here as the film has a periodic look with a lot of filtering which makes everything look murky.

In all, it was great to finally see this film. Just wish, outside of the dance numbers, I had cared about this a little more.

Aaron Silverman likes this.
  4. owen35

owen35 Stunt Coordinator

Steve
    Saw this at the Castro months ago. It is certainly better--but far from perfect. It still suffers from Coppola's "make it up during production" directing that dominated his films at that time. Characters pop in and out and never have their storylines really explained (Laurence Fishburne is a perfect example). But, without question, the musical numbers are impressive and make this film a "must see." "Stormy Weather" is especially powerful, leaving you breathless at its conclusion. At the end, however, you are still left with a "what could have been" feeling since the film is still missing a compelling story. A musical Godfather it is certainly not.

5. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    That was very well put. Matches my overall impression during my watch.

6. noel aguirre

noel aguirre Supporting Actor
    Supporter

noel
    As one who saw the original premiere preview of One From the Heart at Radio City Music Hall on a freezing February night I was a diehard Coppola fan. I was so disappointed with that experience I never went to see Cotton Club in its first release and basically forgot about it over -all the years. But what an unexpected treat this was-And wow Gregory Hines and Lonette McKee just steal it! And I had no idea Maurice Hines was in it and his dancing is spectacular. I’ll be watching this again for sure. Thanks in not enough to give to Coppola for re-releasing this A true labor of love.

7. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I agree with Ron and Owen. It's a fun couple of hours for fans of gangster epics, but it's a far cry from the classics. The plot wants to be much deeper than it actually is, and the best thing I can say about the dialogue is that it's comically hokey. The musical numbers are by far the best reason to watch this one.

(1984 did give us one actual classic gangster epic, Leone's Once Upon a Time in America. Just make sure to watch the original 4-hour cut, not the nonsensical 2.5-hour studio edit.)