What's new

The Cosby Show - Season 1 Announced (1 Viewer)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

Roseanne should be pretty safe, Anchor Bay has a better reputation than Urbanworks does (Urbanworks got a bad rep for their Fat Albert sets before Cosby) and outside of a theme song Blues Traveller created especially for the show in the last season, I can't think of any songs on the show that would pose any music rights problems.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
NO sale.

At this point, I won't pre-order anything, because you can never tell when this is going to happen. I will wait for the reviews first.

No excuse at all, especially since they put out press releases that these were going to be uncut.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
The problem is: Apparently, the form letter above came from Carsey-Werner, not UrbanWorks! I'm pretty sure Anchor Bay will release whatever they're supplied with, just like they did with 21 Jump Street.

Chris

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

the big difference between Roseanne and 21 Jump Street is that Barr herself is being active in the DVD process. She is going all out promoting the DVD and doing bonus materials. Whereas 21 was kinda just thrown out on the shelves as a quick cash-in on Johnny Depp's current wave of popularity, without any real attention or care. I have faith that considering Roseanne herself is active in the DVD process, that we shouldn't be let down for that show.

Shawn_C

Stunt Coordinator
I have been waiting so long for the Cosby Show to be released on DVD. I will be purchasing this DVD set next week, and I hope UrbanWorks will do a better job on their next upcoming sets.

Joseph_S_Walker

Auditioning
Has anyone written a letter to EW about their positive review, neglecting any mention of the issue? It would be nice to get some real discussion of this in the magazine, if only on their letters page. That would certainly notify a lot more potential buyers about the problem than any website can.

Considering the issue came out several days ago, I wonder if a letter still has time to be effective.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

It might; EW usually publishes letters three weeks after the article they correspond to were published, so there's probably still time.

Videowack

Agent
I'm sure glad I taped every episode from NBC and kept them. I'll make my own DVD's from these tapes and will pass on buying syndication prints. Shame on whomever was responsible for that blunder!

Juan Books

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Juan

If you (and many others) buy it as it is, you are guaranteed they wont do a better job next time.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

didn't people buy Too Close For Comfort as is and then got an improved uncut season 2?

not buying it period will send C/W the message nobody wants it and they'll try to blame it on lack of interest, not because it's edited

Juan Books

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Juan
It seems people are wising up: as of right now, this mediocrity is ranked at #116 in sales over at Amazon. For a very hot show this is VERY poor showing.

Juan Books

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Juan

yeah well, studios will have to figure that one out. If you buy whatever they throw at you, then they'll know mediocrity sells, and will have no incentive whatsoever to do things right in the future. Remember, losing money is the only language they'll respond to.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
1. Don't buy it

2. Send a polite letter to the DVD studio explaining why you aren't buying.

That's the only way they'll get it.

Brad P

Stunt Coordinator
To: James Anderson, Carsey Werner

To whom it may concern,

This letter is to inform you of my disappointment in your treatment of “The Cosby Show” on DVD. I have fond memories of this show and was looking forward to purchasing the series on DVD. However, when I learned that the upcoming season one box set included syndicated versions I can watch free numerous times a day on TBS, WGN, Nick At Nite and various local stations, I immediately cancelled my pre-order.

Please visit the following thread at Home Theater Forum to find out what people are saying about the set:

[Link to thread]

Note how the general attitude toward the release changed once word got out that the episodes are edited. In the future, it would be advisable to make sure you’re releasing all of your product intact.

I do want to close this by saying that if Carsey Werner and/or UrbanWorks corrects this error and reissues the set with the full episodes intact, many of us would gladly buy the set.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I agree with George.

Look, I'm not always a hardliner on this kind of an issue. I do have Alf season 1 afterall, but that show unlike the Cosby Show is not on in my area at least that I know of, so I can't just tape it off of TV and I got it at a decent price...although I hated a lot about that release too.

But, I do become a hardliner when the company advertises something they aren't going to deliver. Seasons 1 and 2 of Ren and Stimpy were advertised as Uncut, but they did contain edits and so I didn't buy it.
The press release talks about original NBC airings, and we won't be getting those. I will not encourage false advertising. If I eventually buy this set, it will be a used copy, that way Urbanworks doesn't get any of my money.

Hopefully, they get seasons 2-8 done correctly so I can buy those, but promising something and not delivering is so beyond not cool.

Allen_Kir

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question!

What is cut? Is it anything that really changes the storyline? or is it like they don't show someone walk to the door?

ALSO, is there any chance that we will get a corrected version like if we buy the cut one then they send us replacement discs (Like for BTTF or the ones that they were SUPPOSED to have for TOM & JERRY):D

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I saw the note about the episodes being cut on the bargains thread and just read this whole thread now. I find it hard to believe they would treat the Cosby show this poorly. I find it harder to believe that they would issue a press release that lies about it at well. I was definitely going to buy it, but not any longer. This is disgraceful.

Neil

Brent_B

Agent
I can't believe what I'm reading about one of my favorite shows. I am thankful I check this board everyday, otherwise I would have spent out $30 for something that isn't even complete. :frowning:

Whoever said, a few posts back, that even though The Golden Girls had no extras, they were still happy to see the uncut episodes, had it exactly right. This is getting ridiculous. Dont studios know that consumers are getting more savvy about their purchases?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks