What's new

The Cosby Show - Season 1 Announced (1 Viewer)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Amazon just posts the information they're sent. LOTS of distributors exaggerate the running times. I recently saw a set that contained 6 episodes and "approx 6 hours" on the package, when it was 4 hours, 15 minutes.

Gord

Antonio_G

Stunt Coordinator
You have to know that The Cobsy's Show will be on sale that week of August 2th which is good for me. I'm not going to heard what each other sites say about it I'm going to see for myself and then I'm going to judge on it.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
if I'm able to find the set dirt-cheap like ALF, I might consider it, it is a childhood favorite. But $30+ is way too much considering we're not getting the entire series, and yet you can get Bob Newhart and MTM season 2 for $29.99 retail, both of which are uncut and not seen 5 times a day.

CynthiaH

Agent
I think that really is the deciding factor: the frequency with which it is still on tv. I can watch it on at least three stations, and on all three of those stations, they play two episodes back to back.

Since I now have a limited budget for purchasing sets, I'm going to be buying those that aren't on tv anymore, like Undeclared (going for an example of an August release close to Cosby).

Oh, and the fact that the episodes are the syndication cuts anyway.

Shawn_C

Stunt Coordinator
I cannot wait to pick up the Cosby Show on DVD August 2nd. It is one of my favorite shows. I will be picking up 2 copies.

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
I think I'll pass, why buy something I can record off of tv for free :frowning:

I'll be so ticked if they do the same for A Different World :angry: !

Katherine_K

Second Unit
Has anyone yet gotten the excuse from the distributor as to why they've put these out in syndication cuts?

To be honest, I probably wouldn't have bought this one anyway, but the issue of syndication cuts does concern me so I've been trying to get a sense for what they do say when challenged on the practice.

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
IMO there's no excuse for them using syndicated prints unless the originals have been totally destroyed or something like that :angry: :thumbsdown:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The problem is that they DO NOT CARE WHAT GOES OUT TO THE CONSUMERS!!!!!

Lost sale here. Honestly, to do this to The Cosby Show? That's low.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

that's the real shocker to me. It's THE COSBY SHOW. Easily to the 80's what Seinfeld was to the 90's. If it was a slightly obscure show that ran a few years but has been lost in time with reruns, I'd understand better. But this is one of the biggest sitcoms in history. What a shame, I was really anticipating it.

I'd gladly give up the 2002 special for full length episodes. It reminds me of the Golden Girls DVD's, while I was disapointed the sets were lacking extra features besides a Joan Rivers commentary, I was more than happy to have the episodes with the original opening credits and with all the scenes excised from the Lifetime cuts.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
So basically they either engaged in deliberately false advertising, or they (or Carsey-Werner) goofed. Because it gloats of complete episodes in press releases on the box.

Either way this is a no-buy, and I urge other Cosby Show fans to boycott this set and write to Urbanworks/Ventura and tell them why.

They also screwed up the Fat Albert DVDs too, so I see a pattern.

The thing that gets me is that while on one hand, a small outfit like Shout! Factory can go to great lengths to present uncut versions of a diverse slate of shows including SCTV, Punky Brewster, You Bet Your Life, Here's Lucy, & Freaks and Geeks, this Mickey Mouse operation can't be trusted to get one of the top 5 rated shows of the whole 1980s right.

If Fox, Shout! Factory, or Anchor Bay had done this show we'd not be seeing this slapdash work on an EMMY-WINNING TV CLASSIC. Short-lived shows from five years ago have been getting better DVD treatment than the show credited with saving NBC and the situation comedy itself.

Thanks, Pavan, for saving me $50 I can spend on many of the uncut TV show DVDs coming out there.

Agreed. If they had done this to the Golden Girls I'd have organized a lynch mob! Now I'll have to find someone who taped all the NBC airings of the show. I have about 15-20 from various years.

BTW, The Nanny S1 has been released uncut and with no music replacements that I can find (up to episode #8 so far, and I'm leaving town for 6 weeks tomorrow), and the price was right: $24.95 at Best Buy, from a studio I have admittedly been quite unkind to (Sony).

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

Surely that wouldn't have happened to this show, though, would it?

I agree that there should be some sort of explanation for this. It is absolutely pointless to release a show that is flourishing in syndication on any video format if you're going to use edited episodes.

Nkosi

Stunt Coordinator
Very, very, very sad. Upsetting. Discouraging. I could go on because this one hurts. For such a good, popular, and IMPORTANT show to get disrespected like this is downright shameful. Shameful. Thanks Pavan_P for the review. I seriously may not buy this set now and it WAS my most anticipated DVD purchase of 2005 (outside of Episode III of course :) ) But again, sad and very shameful. Bah!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
This is unbelieveable. "The Cosby Show" should be getting a deluxe release like "Seinfeld" (which it pre-dated by only 5 years). This is the show that almost single-handedly brought the sitcom back from near death in the early 80s. It is one of the most popular, important and influencial shows in the history of television.

Needless to say, no sale here. You can forget about me buying anything else from Urbanworks/Ventura as well.

:thumbsdown:

JamesTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, this might be a little off-topic, but can someone please post a list of all the shows about Bill Cosby? It's just there's so many of them, and I'd like to know their names.
-James

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks