What's new

The Corrs, In Blue DVD-A : worth getting? (1 Viewer)

Mark ZA

Agent
Can anybody please tell me if this DVD-A is that much of an improvement over the regular CD.
Cheers,
Mark

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Not that much of an improvement. I don't have a dvd audio player yet but the dvd a release does have a dd 5.1 layer that plays on regular dvd players.
As each track is playing, you get an on screen photo with a caption about the song.
Musically, I feel that a 5 channel stereo with the regular cd sounds better than the 5.1 version. The vocals are kept in the three front channels and the surrounds have some instrumental info, but not enough to really notice them.
I believe that Sound and Vision did a review for the disc back in either April or May.
If you can find used like I did, pick it up, otherwise save your money and stick with the original cd.
Hope this helps.

RicP

Screenwriter
Not that much of an improvement. I don't have a dvd audio player yet but the dvd a release does have a dd 5.1 layer that plays on regular dvd players
Luis, please dont take this personally, but what you said makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE.
I'm kind of tired of reading over and over again people stating that the DVD-Audio version of something is "not that much of an improvement", and then finding out that they don't even own a DVD-A player!! and in fact were listening to a crappy lossy-compressed version and haven't even heard the PPCM version!
Why not try listening to a product as it was intended before passing judgement on what is or isn't an "improvement".
Again, Luis this isn't targeted at you specifically but it hurts the industry when there are people out there that deride DVD-Audio, when in fact they have never even heard it. I'll say it again...putting DD tracks on DVD-Audio discs was a BIG MISTAKE. For every person that understands the difference, there are 10 that do not, and that is bad for the format.
BTW, the Corrs-In Blue is a VAST improvement over the CD. Both the 5.1 mix AND the High-Resolution stereo mix are fantastic.
------------------
http://www.ricperrott.com
Ric Perrott

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I listened to the Corrs cassette (Metal tape) and I didn't notice a big difference. Metal tape is better than CD, CD is plastic after all. I have to figure DVD-A isn't an improvement based on it's being plastic as well.
laugh.gif

DVD-A is a huge improvement people. You may or may not like the multiple channel mixes but the quality of the sound is great.
------------------
The Mischievous Rogue Strikes Again! The Humble Hanson Theater
[Edited last by Doug_H on August 06, 2001 at 01:29 PM]

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Mark,
This is a great disc. Definitely go out and by it. The vocals are great and the way they mixed it for 5.1 sound is very intriguing. At times the vocals come from all different speakers and through certain passages they even split the vocals between the front left and right channels with nothing coming from the center. Very interesting mixing and a good sounding disc.
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
quote: Metal tape is better than CD[/quote]Funny quote, but get a top shelf metal tape, a well calibrated casette deck equipped with Dolby-S noise reduction, and metal tape can indeed approach CD quality.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker
[Edited last by Philip Hamm on August 07, 2001 at 07:23 AM]

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Damn, I didn't think I'd be opening a can of worms with this one. I guess good deeds don't go unpunished
wink.gif

Yes, get the dvd audio of "In Blue". After re-reading my post, it didn't make any sense to me.
What I meant to say but did not re-edit my post in time, was that the disc is a great disc and the 5.1 sound is an improvement over the regular stereo version.
Personally, I listen to most of my cds through the 5 channel stereo option more often than the 5.1 dd (mind you, the Corrs dvda is the only one disc I have.
But, not even dvd audio can compare to their live performance. Last Sept. I caught the Corrs on their "By Invitation Only" tour, promoting "In Blue". Standing no more than 4 feet away in a room with no more than 50 people, they are amazing!
So again, a 1000 apologies. I have to go now and receive my 50 lashes :)

RicP

Screenwriter
quote: But, not even dvd audio can compare to their live performance[/quote]Now this I will agree with you 100% on! :)
No recorded medium compares to live music..period.
------------------
http://www.ricperrott.com
Ric Perrott
[Edited last by RicP on August 07, 2001 at 08:34 PM]

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Good to know I'm still in the good graces of the forum members.
I would love to get a dvd audio player, especially for Sept. when Tori Amos releases her new cd "Strange Little Girls" which is also being released in dvd audio.
Gotta go and take care of those wounds, man, those lashes can hurt
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks