What's new

The Corrs Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think there's about 4 Corrs fans on the HTF, but I bring them up because their "Live In Dublin" CD comes out tomorrow (most places will have it for sale at $11.99, with Target the lowest at $11.88).
The Live In Dublin CD features a couple of duet between Andrea and Bono (U2), and Ronnie Wood (Rolling Stones) pops in with his guitar on a few cuts as well. There's 11 cuts on the CD, running time is just under 45 minutes. This is like one of those MTV Unplugged recordings, but it's done with VH1 this time. The Corrs are backed by an orchestra too. There should be a DVD of this performance out one of these months.
Here's a Link Removed where you can watch the video for the 1st song on the CD (Would You Be Happier), click the "film footage" icon and then select Windows Media Player or Real Player for the streaming file to be viewed.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
And just a reminder that VH1 will be airing this concert on 3/14/02 at 9 p.m. EST, with a replay on 3/17/02 (but I forgot the time). They will also be appearing on The Today Show 3/15/02, and the Rosie show on 3/18/02.

Sam Rossi

Grip
Patrick, I guess I'm the 5th Corrs fan here at HTF. I'm looking forward to the VH1 release also, but more importantly I picked-up on a rumor that Warner would be releasing a Canadian "Unplugged" DVD sometime later this year, much like they did with "Live In London".

Unfortunately for many their only exposure to the Corrs is through their few US pop hits and are quickly dismissed as less than serious. The Corrs have done some terrific covers, particularly REM's "Everybody Hurts".

I've put together a nice compilation CD of all of their acoustic releases culled from the import "Unplugged", the

2-CD Australian "In Blue" along with a great version of "The Long and Winding Road" from the "Would You Be Happier" CD single.

Really hoping that the "Unplugged" DVD finds it way to North America.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Count me in too... I like The Corrs too (I only listen to female artists). I have the Royal Albert concert and In Blue DVD-A (And 3 CDs also)

I want more DVD, why can't we have them in Region 1???

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Heh, I have over 180 videos of The Corrs. :) And there's no telling how many Corrs songs (plus all of their albums - usually from Australia because they seem to pack all of the bonus songs on those versions).
BTW, you can order their "Live In London" DVD Region 1, NTSC from Canadian online retailers. I got mine from C & L, a Canadian online store for around $20 including outrageous shipping (but the poor Canandian dollar helps in offsetting the price).
It's an excellent concert DVD, and highly recommended.
The cover of the DVD looks like this.

Neil J

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a big time fan also and will pick up their album for sure. Luckily a Suncoast in town here actually had some copies of their Live in London dvd which I picked up of course.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The "Live In London" DVD seems to have sporadic distribution, but it was a slated Canadian release. Why it wasn't released full-blown in the USA is a mystery to me. I've heard reports that the DVD has been seen in San Diego as well. YMMV.

Eric Sevigny

Stunt Coordinator
I like The Corrs too (I only listen to female artists).
Wow, and I thought I was the only one with this rare affliction :) My collection of female vocalist CDs compared to male ones is something like 200 to 1 and spans styles from Björk and Hole to Diana Krall :b
You can add me to the list of devoted Corrs fan, shame we don't get more of those interesting R2 DVDs.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I also tend to favor female vocalists when I buy music. But the ratio is less than 200:1. :)
I'm hoping one day that The Corrs: MTV Unplugged DVD shows up here as a R1 NTSC DVD, as well as their Live at Lansdowne Road DVD (which I think is their best live concert to date from sheer joy derived from their performance).

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Glad to hear there's more Corrs fans out there. I've been listening to the Corrs since their first release and all I can say is WOW!

A few years back, they did release an unplugged cd with a cover of REm's "Everybody Hurts" which is also included on their greatest hits cd.

I've only seen them live once and that was when they were doing their promo tour for "In Blue". I won a radio contest where the Corrs gave a private concert for the selected few. Man, not only do they sound amazing, but they really are good looking.

My cd collection is very much the same. I have mostly female artists and the only male artist's cds I own would be Chris Isaak, Duncan Sheik and Robbie Williams.

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
you can listen to the cd at vh1.com. It is playing continously until 03/18/2002. It rules. I have all of their dvds except unplugged. (God bless Apex dvd for their region free capabilities.) My order of preference
1. Lansdown Rd dvd
2. Royal Albert Hall (best live version of Dreams)
3. Live In London ( not that this is not a great dvd. I just feel it is over produced. I like their older stuff better. I do love the documentary on this disc in which we get to see Andrea rehearsing the morning of the concert in a black tank top... no bra I might add.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

How did you all find out about the Corrs? Or what was it that made you become a fan?
I never heard of them until I was flipping around the channels and turned on mtv a few years back . They had like a half hour documentary promoting Talk on Corners. as soon as I saw Andrea and heard her voice I was hooked. I think she is the hottest chic on the planet!.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Ever since I heard "Runaway" on the radio I was hooked. I guess with the Corrs having David Foster behind them (and the fact their music is amazing) helped their first cd gain acceptance here in Canada.

It's hard to believe that the same little girl in "The Commitments" is now the lead singer for The Corrs.

Too bad Andrea didn't have a bigger role in the movie "Evita". I would have loved to hear her sing "Another Suitcase Another Hall".

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Cool, so I'm not alone in only listening to female artists. My other important criteria is that they must write their songs.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm a recent fan of the Corrs, probably within the last 4-6 months. I haven't been this big a fan of a musical group in a long time, and it feels good to be a fan of this group because they are the real deal. They aren't a bunch of propped up "music" acts, they actually have musical talents and can play their instruments because they are musicians. They also write their own songs for the most part, or collaborate.
I think the thing that got my attention was their use of violin in their songs. I'm a sucker for the violin used in pop/rock songs, and when I heard Sharon Corr's violin, I knew I had to find out more about this band.
I think the first time I heard of the Corrs was with their "In Blue" album which I picked up used at a CD shop on the advice of another big fan of the Corrs. I heard "Breathless" and I was hooked on Andrea's vocals, and then Sharon's violin, Jim's guitar/keyboards, and Caroline's percussion. There's nothing sexier than a female drummer who can drum well and look like she's having a blast playing them.
Then I check out their other 2 albums, "Forgiven Not Forgotten" and "Talk On Corners". I think FNF is still their strongest album, lyrically, though they have gotten a little too slick with "In Blue".
I think the song "Forgiven Not Forgotten" in one hauntingly terrific song, and so is "Runaway.
I would also agree that in terms of concert videos, I'd rank "Lansdowne Rd" their best one, then "Royal Albert Hall" and finally "Live in London" which is simply too slickly produce, but still a wonderful performance.
After downloading many of their interviews, and the 3-part documentary (The Right Time), it's been fun getting to know a band that isn't a one-hit wonder, nor a trashy type of band, but rather very pleasant and somewhat wholesome, though Andrea does like to show her butt to the concert crowds lately. :)
The Irish influence of the band hasn't quite gone away, and when they are on their game, their live performances are something to see and hear.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I picked up The Corrs - In Blue (DVD Audio) to try out multichannel audio (DD 5.1 in this case) as I do not have DVD-A yet. But I have fallen for this group.

I don't buy too much new software at the moment so tell me which Corrs to buy next. I was looking at the DVD Royal Albert Hall and thought that would be great, or would one of the CDs be the way to go? How is the DD on RAH, is it comparable to In Blue DD?

Wes

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Having never heard the DVD-audio version of "In Blue" I can't make a valid comparison of the DD tracks on that album and the "Royal Albert Hall/RAH" DVD, but the RAH DVD was pretty entertaining, and having Mick Fleetwood play a few songs with them was pretty fun to watch. I didn't have any complaints of the DD track (most of the music was happening in the front 3 speakers).

RAH takes place when Andrea was still in her little goth girl phase, but she's still cute as a pixie in this concert.

Their most recent "Live In London" DVD can be found as R1/NTSC, though it's mainly a Canadian release (but can be found on Ebay as well). It's present day Corrs, a very slickly produced, but a good concert nonetheless.

If you wanted another CD, I'd go with "Forgiven Not Forgotten", or if you want a wider sample of their hits, pick up "The Best Of The Corrs" CD that came out last year (it's an import, so it's a bit pricey, but I got the Australasian version with a couple of extra songs from an Australian Ebayer for around $15 delivered - do a search on "corrs cd" and look for the Australasian version if you're so inclined).

"Talk On Corners is pretty good and light, but the "definitive" remix version to get is the UK version which has a light-bluish cover because it has 3 more songs than the US-version of the "remixed" version (15 songs vs. 12 songs). The original "Talk On Corners" release features the studio versions of the songs (13 songs IIRC), but is harder to find in the US (I also used Ebay to pick the original version up).

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
All those titles are readily available here in Canada. I see them used all the time, roughly $9 -$10 per cd.
As much as I enjoy the remixes of the special edition of "Talk On Corners", there is something to be said of the purity of the original versions on the "Talk On Corners" cd. I love the Corrs's rendition of Jimmy Hendrix's "Little Wing, and I can't help but think of Marilyn Monroe on "Queen Of Hollywood".
Two other female singers you guys should check out are Chantal Kreviazuk and Damhnait Doyle.
Both write their own lyrics, with Chantal writing her own music as well. And they are Canadian:D

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Count me in as a fan too:)
Pl@ if you like violin's in music you might want to consider picking up a Leahy CD. They're a band of all brothers and sisters and use the violins extensively in their music...though their first album was mostly instrumentals. The second disc might have more vocals in it.
Link Removed
Link Removed

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
And here's another female musician you should check out if you like violin: Melanie Doane. Her live album is pretty good and so is 1998's Adam's Rib. "The Melanie Doane Song" on the live CD is worth the price alone!

Two other female singers you guys should check out are Chantal Kreviazuk and Damhnait Doyle.
I like those 2 as well.

Is Damnhait Doyle's 1996 album any good? I like Hyperdramatic (I read somewhere she released one in 96 in addition to 2000's Hyperdramatic)

I am a big fan myself!!!! I really love Andrea's voice and am lucky enough to have all of their concert Dvd's(knew the Apex player would be good for something). They are defenitely my favorite band!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks