What's new

The "correct" way to face a box set? (1 Viewer)

Anders Englund

Second Unit
Ok, I know this is a bit anal, but... a well, you all are: :)
Which is the "correct" way to face a box set in the shelf? I've personally always prefered the spines of the discs out, but moving towards changing that... What do you say?
-Anders

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I must be extra anal because all my discs regardless of their box-set origins are placed alphabetically on my rack. The boxes are displayed at an angle on a shelf above.

Brad Eisenhauer

Stunt Coordinator
I place my box sets with the front cover of the box facing the same direction as the front covers of the non-boxed DVDs, to the right. Typically, this means that the spine of the box faces outward. With the spines of the DVDs being inward. I've even got my Monty Python and the Holy Grail SE turned "backwards" so that the front of the outer cover is consistent with this method.
And you're right... it is anal.:)

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
LOL, I'm always faced with the same question! I guess for me it just comes down to the aesthetics (whichever side looks best!) My Nightmare On Elm St. Box Set & Rocky set are faced spines out since they form a cool picture when placed together. The Scream box is horrible on both sides (I would've preferred spines in this case).

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I like to face the spines inward, so I have no idea what it is until I take it off the shelf.
:D
Okay... spines out. I treat them like any other disk. It's the most efficient use of space with the least amount of work.
-Scott

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I position my box sets (Fantasia Anthology, Universal Monsters Collection, and Charlie Chaplin Collection) with the spines facing out.

The box art is nice, but I like the spines to be seen.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I put the box art out until I've watched the box set. Then I face the spines out.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I am only over 200 disc so far and have 2 box sets with a third coming. To me, it makes sense to have the spines facing outwards to look consistent with the rest on the shelf.
My dilemma is that I like to place my disc in order of theatrical release which would mean breaking up the box sets. JasenP has a good idea on displaying the empty boxes while still saving them.
I thought about grouping in genre but that would also be getting anal with my own self :D

Russ Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Generally I put the spines facing outward, but I make an exception with the Godfather box set, as the box side is more pleasant-looking than the thin and uneven spines.

M

MaxY

I am a spines out kind of guy, I guess. :)
Some of the very special ones like The Alien Box set have a separate shelf of their own.
I am finding that DVDs in general are feeling starting to take up an awful lot of space. Now I need some more racks and find somewhere to put them.
Damn DVDs just building up everywhere you look.
Max

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Spines in damn it, IN! :D My preference is definately having the spine of the box the discs are housed in face me on the shelves.
Dan

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
I've moved all my boxed sets into Amaray cases, and stored all the boxes away for safekeeping, so I don't really have any problems with this.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Depends on the box set
Mini-Series:
Spine In. It is easier to read what the title is and
it is not like one will want to watch the first half
of Pride and Prejudice or Tom Jones,
without the other part.
Collection of Films:
Well, for Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Marilyn Monroe,
Woody Allen, or the Universal monsters,
one will be selecting the individual film from the set,
so spines out seems the more logical approach.
Form follows Fuction:
Why would one put the spines in for the Alien Series,
when all it serves to do it add steps to removing the
disired film? If you will not watch the whole box set,
and the spines are just as easy to read as the box, then
spines should, more often than not, face out.
Next up, how bleach and a damp towel can make one's
ability to reuse aluminum foil endless. ;)
Mark

Anders Englund

Second Unit
Well, I can see that this has caused some problems to you folks. I'll tell you, my problems just aroused when I, this week, bought RoboCop:Prime Directives (R2 miniseries) box set. I've always placed my box sets spines out, but this one had a problem: The spines side (not actual spines since it's a fold-out thingie) doesn't have any text. Makes it pretty hard to identify. Trhis is what caused me to rethink my current strategy: Maybe spines in is the way to go?
--Anders
PS. Right now, I'm not 100% sober since I've just been to a whisky testing, so forgive me if I'm not making any sense.

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
Similar to the age old "Snapper cases seperate to keepcases" question.
Personally I like the spines of the discs out. The only exception is the Godfather boxset where the spines face in, if they were normal size cases the spines would be out. Maybe its a question of the owner's eyesight? I'm 20-20 :D

Rob T

Screenwriter
for my Die Hard box set, I use to have it box art out, but I changed that when I got the Beverly Hills Cop set. All box sets are spine out now. :)

Jeremiah W

Stunt Coordinator
I've moved all my boxed sets into Amaray cases, and stored all the boxes away for safekeeping, so I don't really have any problems with this
That's how I do it too, it's too much of a pain to remove the whole Box Set just to get one disc, this way I can just grab the top of the case and pull it out:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks