The Core - heard anything about it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KyleK, Aug 11, 2002.

1. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

I saw the poster for a new movie called The Core in my local movie theater. I kind of liked the way the two hemispheres were slightly off center, kind of intriguing in a way. I see from it's IMDB listing that it stars Hilary Swank who I guess is kind of popular, though I haven't seen any of her films. I'm guessing it's an Armageddon type save-the-earth-with-unlikely-charachters story. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about it?

2. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

3. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

Saw the poster and wondered about this film to. Has this trailer been in the theaters yet?
    I saw that it's a Paramount release. Maybe they'll attach a full preview of Star Trek: Nemesis to it?

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It's attached to xXx

Do a search for the other thread for my full on description of how bad this movie is. It's so bad it got dumpedfrom summer doldrums to fall doldrums

My friend is working on it, and even a year ago when I heard the premise I was like "That's the stupidest movie ever"

Long story short. The Earth's magnetic poles have shifted (like they do every 500,000 years or so) and the world is going topsy turvy(funny, never has before) and intrepid team arrives at the Marianas Trench days before everything's going to blow up to drill down to the core of the earth to set off some nuclear bombs to switch it back. Now this driller drills at 60MPH, so instead of spending a month at sea with the machine, they could have achieved the SAME RESULT by drilling for 7 minutes from anywhere in the world

It gets even stupider from there

5. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

The only interesting tidbit of info I can offer for this movie is some of the main and second unit photography was shot right here in Victoria, including a "pivotal bus crash scene" (blasted all over the local newspaper for weeks) right on Yates street, which I didn't get to see because I was too busy seeing a movie. [​IMG]
    "I saw that it's a Paramount release. Maybe they'll attach a full preview of Star Trek: Nemesis to it?"
    You know you can download these trailers, right? [​IMG]
    Jason

6. clemente

clemente Agent

7. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Just watched the trailer. Looks like a remake of Armageddon, only with a straight face.
    Still, I'm down with anything potentially apocalyptic, be it in the movie's theme or in the potential box-office reception. [​IMG]

8. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

9. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit

I love movie logic. Apparently any problem can be solved by blowing up nukes. [​IMG]

10. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

Re: Comparison to Armageddon.

While that flick was Michael Bay all the way, it looked infinately more plausable than Core does.

Though I did like the line in the trailer where they go to see Delroy Lindo(sp) about his machine that'll save the world, and he sputters about how it's not ready yet. Then it goes ..

"What would it take to get it ready in less than a month?"
    "Uh, about 15 billion dollars!" delivered in a yeah-right-whatever reaction.

Goverment dude goes "Will you take a check?"

Loved it, but the flick looks to be hokey cheese crap. And I *like* fun happy big movies.

11. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Trust me when I say this

Those of you who hate Armageddon will put it up for an Oscar after The Core

Armageddon is a great toungue in cheek explosion flick
    The Core is just a hunk of crap

12. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Jeff, have you actually seen the film, or are you just assuming it'll be bad based on what you've heard. Your post doesn't make this point clear.

13. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

Yes, Jeff, please elaborate.

14. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

It's not attached to "xXx", it wasn't on my showing. Ecks vs Sever is.
    I've seen a column about it in the new Premiere fall movie preview, one of those I'm anticipating, along with Solaris and Dreamcatcher.

15. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

Looks horrid. I garauntee this will bomb at the box office. No recognizable stars for middle America and a been there done that, way too many times, plot. I'll check it out on DVD, I love film train wrecks, especially big budget sci-fi ones.

16. mike martin

mike martin Stunt Coordinator

I just can't help but put my two cents in on this one. A friend of mine, who just knew how i'd react, read me the synopsis for this movie (i had never heard of it before this) and I laughed for ten minutes. I will see this movie as I'm sure it will be the best comedy of the year. Hey, I understand suspension of disbelief and a well crafted film making you forget the sketchy stuff (sure exlosions don't go boom in a vacuum and light sabers make no sense, but who cares!); but the core is so far gone I don't even know where to start. I was so intrigued that i did some research and found an interview with swank and the director (sorry, didn't save the url). The director aparently has a degree in physics and he says that he was very happy to get to use all that information to make a movie where the science is real. I laughed for another ten minutes. I AM a physicist. We really don't know too much about the core of the earth (hard to go there and study it you know) but it almost certainly isn't spinning. OH, it spins along with the earth, yeah; but so do all of us. It is also probobly a liquid (moten rock), so it's viscous, so there is no getting it to just stop spinnning or spin at a suddenly different rate or whatever. Imagine trying to get a bucket of spining water to just stop. If it IS some solid sphere spinning independently of the Earth (perhaps the movie perports that it's on a gimble????) Ther are still plenty of frictional forces that would ensure the thing spins right along with the earth. And the nuke thing.....well as you can see i could go on and on.

At some point it is explained the the core stops spinning because something happens for some reason. All I could think of is homer pitching his idea for a killer robot who goes back in time for some reason. My only question is, where is the pie?

17. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    [​IMG] My thoughts exactly.
    This goes on my list (getting longer) entitled "And they won't make my movie?"

18. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

Hmm, well I don't know what kind of physicist you are but the core is spinning, it is melted matter that is so hot it spins and boils, so I think the theory they use in the film is that it just gotten colder and will turn the Earth into a frozen rock "100 thousand years overdue", so they're gona nuke it [​IMG] to give it some push...yeaaah. [​IMG]

19. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

According to Variety:
    Just an FYI.

20. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

Oh man, they're gona ditch it in the dead waters of January or something, but maybe that's what it needs to gross more, in the midst of all the crap it might look way better than it is.